Pandora As A Phone

Can Varu and Mali just keep this on topic and leave the lovers tiff outside. :rolleyes:

Don't want to lock the thread because of this.

Well, Varu started this thread and I'm just commenting, but I'll do as you wish, boss :)

Yoyobuae said:
What I noticed from reading the forum thread of that project is that is not trivial just hooking up a GSM modem and making voice calls. The hardware is out there, but the software is not (that I know of). And to me it seems that making the software oneself would involve reverse engineering what happens during a GSM phone call, without the help cellphone companies (why would they help you "hack" into their networks?).

Most GPS modems have a relatively simple serial interface and can be used via standard AT commands: there is no need of reverse engineering and anything that could cause problems on the network is sealed in the firmware where it can't be easily accessed.

As for phone software, there are the ones that work on the Neo Freerunner, so there is at least something to start working from, but it is also possible that they could work as-is, or with minimal changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
valhalla said:
*snip*
As for phone software, there are the ones that work on the Neo Freerunner, so there is at least something to start working from, but it is also possible that they could work as-is, or with minimal changes.
I guess this might be worth a try. The problem with Pandaphone was the lack of software, and having to figure out the AT commands needed to establish a voice call.

But if that software already has that, then it might be interesting to get it running on Pandora. I'll take a look at it.

OrR said:
Varu said:
As for Palm, they were recently caught red-handed uploading Pre users' personal data to their servers, which is to say there was a spyware rootkit. So I'd be concerned about my privacy with any Palm phone.
Huh? Can you link me to that story?
[/quote]

Here it is:

My link

OrR said:
Varu said:
Well, yeah, to some extent that's true. However, I don't like that your example is about Iran. Nokia & Siemens have provided backdoors to American intelligence services for ages and they certainly didn't use them to spread freedom and democracy.

I never said the USA was the best example of a free society. Anyone who lives here and it not completely asleep knows that Bush's spying on citizens has continued in full force thanks to his friend Obama.

x68000 said:
Can Varu and Mali just keep this on topic and leave the lovers tiff outside. :rolleyes:
Don't want to lock the thread because of this.

He's trolling and proving his lack of worth as a person. I'm done with him but I suppose that if you want to punish everyone because of his immaturity, that in turn will be a test of your judgment. But I'd ask, why would you delete a thread because of one participant?

Yoyobuae said:
valhalla said:
*snip*
But if that software already has that, then it might be interesting to get it running on Pandora. I'll take a look at it.

My main point was that in order for Pandora to become effective as a phone, the case would have to be modified. If Pandora's designers only want to focus on a niche market (gaming), then this will not happen. But the history of technology is littered with niche products that came and went.

mali said:
I smell trolls 3 miles against the wind in a snow storm ;)
Just sayin' Good night :)

Continue to add nothing constructive to this thread, And you maybe in line for a short break from these forums.

Once or twice can usually be tolerated, But continuously is deemed as trolling, Which will NOT be tolerated.

Take this as a polite warning, Understand ?.

Trooper

Varu said:
My main point was that in order for Pandora to become effective as a phone, the case would have to be modified.
That's not going to happen. If you want to use a non-phone as a phone, then you're on your own as to making it work. See the other discussions I linked earlier on in this thread.

@Varu: I think you have come to the wrong place looking for a smartphone. The gaming capabilities of Pandora are enough to make a good portable product (just like PSP, DS, etc), add the UMPC aspect and we have a winner. It's not niche at all. It just doesn't include phone functions you so passionately seem to want.

You don't expect your desktop PC to double as a cellphone do you? (wouldn't make any sense not being portable) neither do you expect the same from a laptop/netbook/etc (portable, but not handheld). Portable media players also lack phone functions (Ipod or similar), are all those niche products bound to disappear too?

The fact you feel so strongly that this handheld device must also double as a phone doesn't mean that everyone agrees with you. I'd much rather have a Pandora and a phone separately. There is a big cost increase (and performance decrease) from bundling them together. I would rather not pay for that (neither for a expensive mobile internet contract, which I don't have a clear need for).

Now, it would be nice to have a smartphone developed with a similar "by the users for the users" mentality just like OpenPandora with it's handheld console/UMPC. OpenMoko is an option I considered. But the time is not right (high cost of mobile internet service), for now I'll be happy with my Pandora and I'll just use whatever free phone I get from my cellphone service provider.

Chip said:
Varu said:
My main point was that in order for Pandora to become effective as a phone, the case would have to be modified.
That's not going to happen.

I agree with you, Pandora will remain as it is. It doesn't have to, and indeed it would benefit from a change of its housing to support telephony since that would expand the user base and increase sales, drawing in former OpenMoko enthusiasts, but I suspect there is no will to change it. As they say, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it and the history of niche devices is they stagnate and fail.

Yoyobuae said:
There is a big cost increase (and performance decrease) from bundling them together.

This is a moot point but I was thinking the costs would be as follows.
Note, I am not suggesting making telephony a required feature but rather optional.

USB GSM = ranging from $30 to $100.
Driver = $0 if a good USB GSM is used.
Telephony app = $0 if adapted from OpenMoko which is open source.
Changes to the Pandora housing = $ unknown.

Varu said:
I agree with you, Pandora will remain as it is. It doesn't have to, and indeed it would benefit from a change of its housing to support telephony since that would expand the user base and increase sales, drawing in former OpenMoko enthusiasts, but I suspect there is no will to change it. As they say, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it and the history of niche devices is they stagnate and fail.

Not to be rude, but have you ever seen what a Pandora looks like? It's entirely not designed in a way that you can comfortably talk into. With OpenMoko, you can actually hold it in your hand while putting it to your face. With the Pandora, you'd look something like this:

22563909.png

And aside from that, you're forgetting that you also need a decent earpiece and microphone intended for speaking. From what I know the microphone in the Pandora is not the best, and the speakers intended to play at a decent volume are not so great when you put them to your ear (at least on my last two of phones, the loudspeaker has been separate from the earpiece).

So what you're left is with a device with a higher price which discourages people who don't want to pay the price (if the pandora cost more than $350, I would not have ordered it, for example), and an awkward phone functionality that's totally not worth it to anyone who actually wants a decent phone to talk with.

Varu said:
Xian Long said:
Varu said:
But more importantly I don't trust Nokia for two reasons:
1. They recently bragged that they exported technology to Iran to let the government there spy more precisely on protesters.
2. They lobbied the government of India to have all Chinese GSM phones banned, which is anti-competitive.
the hell does that have to do with anything

People who systematically oppress the freedoms of others are the enemies of mankind and must be defeated. If Nokia assists such people, it must be boycotted.
hopefully you're actually researching the events, and similar events with other companies and not just taking those bare facts, which don't really mean anything. you're making it sound like nokia is the "antithesis of all that is good and just."

other than that, i find this extremely silly. the phone almost fits your needs and you're going to be that one boycotter for the good of mankind.

Varu said:
My main point was that in order for Pandora to become effective as a phone, the case would have to be modified. If Pandora's designers only want to focus on a niche market (gaming), then this will not happen. But the history of technology is littered with niche products that came and went.
If you make it a phone, it doesn't increase the user base, it changes it: you're simply replacing those that don't want a phone with those that do. It's still a niche product, but now it's a niche product that costs $30-$100 more at least.

Alec  said:

That looks sweet. If I cut upon the pages in a tome and sneak the pandora inside, it'll look like I'm casting a spell everytime I make a phone call.

Varu said:
drawing in former OpenMoko enthusiasts
those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it and the history of niche devices is they stagnate and fail.
As I recall, the Openmoko project was far from a success. The only other time a company tried to combine a cell phone and a gaming system, they came up with the Ngage. And you want to talk about stagnation and failure? That's some history that doesn't bear repeating.

You signed up to these forums what, fifteen minutes ago? The Pandora project started well over two years ago. This discussion, and a hundred just like it, have already happened countless times. You have no idea what's gone into the design of the device already, or what sort of cost is actually involved with adding a cell radio. That sort of redesign is impossible now. It's been impossible for over a year. Even when it was possible, it was not desirable. It would have added at least $100 to the cost of the Pandora, and that's not counting the monthly cost of a cell data plan - another $50 per month in the US. And all that extra cost would have been for a feature that most people don't even want. Don't believe me? Then go back and read the couple hundred thousand posts regarding the design of the Pandora.

It didn't happen, it's not going to happen, and that's a good thing, whatever your personal opinions on the matter.

Chip said:
Varu said:
It didn't happen, it's not going to happen, and that's a good thing, whatever your personal opinions on the matter.

In the end the talented game designers will create new games for anything but Pandora.
Maybe Pandora's having Wifi and a web browser will raise interest in it, but when netbooks with bigger screen and keyboards cost less, don't bet on it.

Back