Best phone to use with Pandora...

I feel very :mellow: about it.

that pretty much sums up modern phones if you're not prepared to go for a superduperstuporphone :p

my rose was pretty good (htc s470 or something like that) and tethered nicely, main problem with it was windows mobile, turns a lovely piece of design into a useless laggy brick

I picked up a second hand HD2 for £200.

Pretty good camera - I can take HDR photos, and I've done a few panoramas.

And you get the choice of Android, WinMob6.5(lol), Ubuntu, WinPho7.

Shame I killed it by smashing it off the ground while I was out taking photos :(

The HD2 does look good... but:

HTC HD2 - R5500

Nokia N8 - R3600

HTC Wildfire R2300

The absolutely *MASSIVE* leap in quality of the camera of the N8 compared to the Wildfire, IMO justifies the additional R1300.

As I've never used Android, only Windows Mobile 6.1, the Symbian v3 OS for me will be just dandy.

My *only* question now is - will it tether to my Pandora?

Because this is looking very much the perfect phone/camera for me. :)

And it takes 720p videos to boot! Awesome. :D

I found this regarding Internet Sharing with the N8:

Tutorial ICS (internet Connection Sharing) with laptop via wifi.

1. The first step is to create ad-hoc network on your laptop or computer.

Control panel --> all items control panel --> network and sharing center --> manage wireless networks --> add --> create an ad hoc network --> new connection, security-type no authentication --> turn on Internet connection sharing.

2. Adapter properties --> internet protocol version 4 --> Properties --> IP and DNS entries. and settings on your laptop or computer is completed.

To nokia N8

1.setting --> connectivity --> destinations --> Access point --> select the wireless LAN (custom-made ad hoc name) --> select internet.

2.internet --> select the connection name --> options --> advanced settings --> ipv4 settings --> phone ip address.

note:

1. Default Gateway is the main gate in entering the network. default gateway on the laptop should be the same as in the mobile phone.

2. ip address for the identity of the IP phone to the network include 2-225 example: 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3. to 225 is useful if there are 2 nokia N8 or other computers that use Adhoc.

3. IMPORTANT THIS ONCE. when using Broadband connection (IM2, XL unlimited, all that use external modem). after create Adhoc and settings in nokia N8, Disconnect first. after it connects again.

if this is not done, we usually can not browse on the laptop. even in tubes that can be.'s how to disconnect first, then connects again.

Could someone more knowledeable please let me know if this gives any clues to how successfully the N8 can tether to a Pandora?

I have a HTC HD2 if you want to buy it! Only problem is that i bricked it a while ago.. So if you want it and try to fix it, you can have it for 100 USD + shipping :)

I tried to install an Android OS that should work, buuuut I think it was for the T-mobile version :p

I think there's a howto unbrick for HTC HD2, but never got around fixing it. It's a pretty neat phone, awesome camera! But it gets slower if you have it on for 3 days or so.

But that just because of WIN 6.5

[sNIP] if it's not froyo (2.2) then wifi tether isn't possible... [/sNIP]

I beg to differ sir. My Motorola Backflip has Wifi tethering and its currently running Android 2.1. Its rooted though. =P

I'm just not afraid to break this thing called a warranty

[sOURCE]

Code:
http://modmymobile.com/forums/566-motorola-backflip-roms/556727-rom-preclair-v1-6-jit-netfilter-swap-ext3-ext4-tun-2-12-11-a.html

EDIT: Unfortunately it doesn't work with the Pandora ( yet? ) as it's wifi driver doesn't do ADHOC connections. If you're using an older version of "Wireless tether for root users" ( Google that quotation =P ) you can use Bluetooth tethering just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I beg to differ sir. My Motorola Backflip has Wifi tethering and its currently running Android 2.1. Its rooted though. =P

next time i'll state the assumption of stock android, no root then :p

rooting shouldn't break your warranty, as you can always just reflash to the stock image

next time i'll state the assumption of stock android, no root then :p

rooting shouldn't break your warranty, as you can always just reflash to the stock image

AFAIK it does. I believe jr0dd even says so outright in his massive red disclaimer text.

AFAIK it does. I believe jr0dd even says so outright in his massive red disclaimer text.

uh huh, must be getting phones from sucky people then

even if your contract/whathaveyou to the manufacturer/supplier says that, there's no method for them to tell whether it's been rooted and booted once it's returned to the original image, but whatever, that's not relevant

Umm .. Sony-Ericsson XPeria X8 .. cost EU115,- and works wonderfully as a tether for my Pandoras ..

Umm .. Sony-Ericsson XPeria X8 .. cost EU115,- and works wonderfully as a tether for my Pandoras ..

....! but it runs android 1.6!!! Did you update yours to 2.2 or is this a sign I don't have to worry what version of android is installed?

I've done a price check in my country and for some odd reason it looks like I can get the x10 for pretty much the same price as the x8... also there's the x10 mini which is *much* cheaper.

I'm still rather leaning towards the N8 - The camera is superb. But the X10 is also looking promising - I had dismissed due to running android 1.6... but if that's not going to be an issue in tethering to my Pandora...

....! but it runs android 1.6!!! Did you update yours to 2.2 or is this a sign I don't have to worry what version of android is installed?

I've done a price check in my country and for some odd reason it looks like I can get the x10 for pretty much the same price as the x8... also there's the x10 mini which is *much* cheaper.

I'm still rather leaning towards the N8 - The camera is superb. But the X10 is also looking promising - I had dismissed due to running android 1.6... but if that's not going to be an issue in tethering to my Pandora...
The X10 is getting a 2.3 update. Thing is - it ages badly, the silver buttons start to flake off etc.

The X10 is getting a 2.3 update. Thing is - it ages badly, the silver buttons start to flake off etc.

Hmm... :( I'm also worried about scratching that screen...

The N8 has Gorrila Glass and aluminium body... which is awesome! Oh I so want the N8...

Wish there were another Pandorian out there that has an N8 so I could ask questions...

My brother has an N8 - it takes really good pictures. Build quality is nice too.

Not directly applicable, but I didn't have any trouble tethering my Nokia E71 (also Symbian, but an older version than that on the N8) to my MacBook. If you're not bothered about installing lots of apps on your phone, then there is no reason to go the Android route. My current phone is an Android 2.2 phone, as a phone it isn't a patch on my old Nokia (compared to my old Nokia, it has terrible battery life, lacks basic functionality such as vcard support, bluetooth is almost useless etc.).

My brother has an N8 - it takes really good pictures. Build quality is nice too.

Not directly applicable, but I didn't have any trouble tethering my Nokia E71 (also Symbian, but an older version than that on the N8) to my MacBook. If you're not bothered about installing lots of apps on your phone, then there is no reason to go the Android route. My current phone is an Android 2.2 phone, as a phone it isn't a patch on my old Nokia (compared to my old Nokia, it has terrible battery life, lacks basic functionality such as vcard support, bluetooth is almost useless etc.).

Is there any chance you could try tethering your Pandora to your brother's N8 when next you see him? I would be oh so gratefull... :)

You do have a Pandora right? ...What happened to your E71?

It's a little hard for me to find the time and opportunity to try tethering to a symbian phone myself... as I live in such an uncivilized part of the world.

I'll be setting up two stands tomorrow for the festival (which is held in a town that does actually have cell shops), but I will be trading from 8:30am - about 6pm each day... then all the shops will be closed.

My XPeria X8 has Android 2.2 on it, and has received two OTA updates since I got it, 3 months ago .. so its not going to be outdated any time soon .. and also, the X8 has ANT+ Radio capabilities (I'm developing for ANT+ these days, the X8 is my main development phone) so its getting a lot of peripheral support in the future.. ANT+ gamepads are on their way, for example.

Anyway, I'm just plugging for it - haven't had any problems with flaky hardware or whatever, either. Its just a solid all-round phone that tethers nicely and plays with all my other gear.

Back