GP2X Any Serious Obstacles Against A Nintendo Ds Emu?

jibegod

Still Fresh
I believe the two processors in the DS are both ARM.. unless i'm missing something, the only real problem is waiting for a decent DS emulator to come out and be ported to Linux.

Digital Awakening posted on Oct 10 2005 at 04:34 PM said:
The big problem is that DS have 2 screens and one of them is a touch screen.

Actaully, most the games I used, only used one of either the stylus or the keypad.

But the duel screen is an iffy one. And the 3d acceleration. :)

And the fact that the DS is still out there making money. So it's kinda immoral to emulate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morality dosen't stop emulation.

The simple fact is that without the built in functions it's pointless to try emulation of the DS because you're talking about emulating two screens and only seeing one of them which is a waste of cpu power assuming you can even get those processors to reliably immitate the functions of another system which... which by the way from what I've heard even PCs seem to have a bit of a problem with right now.

Emulating the DS right now only makes sence for the PC(or MAC). Since Emulators are very useful during testing and debuging of homebrews. Not much use emulating something you can still buy (new) just to play games(which you can still buy).

I'm sure someone will emulate it eventually.

But, if good coders out there consider it too early, then maybe it'll get delayed just enough, so that when it is emulated to a playable speed, then it is too old for nintendo to make lots of money from. So the damage is minimal.

Not, I think, on the X2... look, the GBA had a single 16MHz ARM chip, and one chip (iirc) that was for custom sprite accelleration. We got GBA at a playable rate, but ONLY because of the tricks used to essentially turn a GP32 CPU into a GBA CPU as opposed to run a virtual CPU on top (seeing as they were binary compatible). And even then, once the sprite hardware was emulated, it slowed down a LOT.

The X2, at best, is 2 and a half time the speed of the average overclocked GP32 (i.e. 166x2 is 332, half again is 415, the 15 MHz in addition seeming a perfectly reasonable rate of OC). The DS, in comparisson to the GBA is about 7 times the speed (well, one 66MHz ARM cpu, and one 37MHz one or so). It, in all liklihood, has some custom gfx hardware too. If that's the case, then there is absolutely no chance whatsoever nu-uh no way and even if there were it would not be playable.

Conceivably if it DOESN'T have anything but an Arm9 and an Arm7 chip then yes, it might be done, but do NOT get your hopes up until you've got a techdemo running at a good speed in your hands... the chances are astronomical imo, especially since you need an MMU to do CPU mimicing tricks, and only one of the ones available on the x2 has one (the 920t). Let alone that its hard to use it unless you bypass Linux which may or may not be completely straightforward for the average coder.

what the hell GBA emulator are you using on the GP32 that is playable? GPAdvance was not playable at all, not even for GBA Homebrew and i tried the entire homebrew pack that was available over a year ago.

I have a real problem with people who whine for consoles that are still selling to be emulated.

I realize its a horse that has already been flogged but emulation should really only be for systems that aren't currently selling games. Period.

Asking for a GBA or a DS emulator is as bad as asking for roms as far as I'm concerned and should be treated the same on these boards.

<_<
In my opinion its idiotic to differentiate between these two things!!
If there wouldn't be a Snes emu you also would buy the games
instead of downloading them.
So its the some as with the newer systems...
Everything is piracy!! Even if you doesn't couse as much as damage
stealing old roms as if you steal newer roms. :ph34r:
That's why I wouldn't have a problem with emus for GBA and DS!!

sanity, reality, physics and the laws of thermodynamics!

maybe not all of those but a good chunk anyways

This thread is retarded. If you have to post here to ask why a DS can't be emulated on a single screen system without a touchscreen, 3D GPU etc then you belong on the short bus along with those asking for a PSP, N64, Saturn, Xbox, PS2 emulator ;)

ROMs cannot be 'stolen' (nothing is 'taken' or 'removed'), but its violation of licensing and intellectual property rights. The trick is.. emulation of old systems versus new ones isn't really relevent, in thr altruist sense.. you should only play ROMs you actually have, regardless of age of system. However, the dilemma comes to the developer.. build an emu for a modern system, and you know people will do more piracy. However, that legally is 'their problem'. So if you're purist, it doesn't matter, but as a 'business sense', we emu devs like to give breathers to companies, to avoid getting The Wrath :)

/me is fried, it being Turkey Day in Canada :)

jeff

DaveC posted on Oct 10 2005 at 10:08 AM said:
This thread is retarded. If you have to post here to ask why a DS can't be emulated on a single screen system without a touchscreen, 3D GPU etc then you belong on the short bus along with those asking for a PSP, N64, Saturn, Xbox, PS2 emulator ;)

As people have mentioned, not every game utilizes the full hardware functionality of the DS. For example, some games' use of the second screen is not absolutely vital to the gameplay, other than providing an overview map or something similar. Though, ideally, we would be able to use the TV-Out to duplicate the functions of the two separate screens.

Hold on a second.

It really is two different issues. Look up some copyright law sometime.

Did you know that it is "technically" illegal to resell an entertainment medium?

All of those dvds, cds, game cartridges that you see at flea markets and ebay... does the original author make any royalty off you reselling those? No.

So, The original author makes no more money off me downloading an snes rom than by me buying one from ebay.

GBA and DS games can still be bought in a store, thus the devs still make royalties from that purchase. If you download it you have no longer any need to buy the real thing from the real distributer. The industry loses.

So... if we really want to battle out symantecs here, the only legal way to redistribute existing media is... as a gift. You may give away your old games, you may not sell them.

Which makes buying old games from a second hand source as bad as downloading. If you want to contradict me on this I will quote the law text it comes from. I have had to study the topic ad nauseum for communication courses.

So... Selling used games = technically illegal
Downloading discontinued games = technically illegal
Downloading games still available in stores = illegal and equal to stealing from a store shelf.

Nice point made on another forum...
For the industry, used game sales are worse than piracy. When a pirate steals a game, the publisher gets nothing but at least the pirate still has money in his pocket to buy a new one. The used game buyer generates no revenue for the publisher, and also has no money left over to buy a new game.

worldwriter posted on Oct 10 2005 at 01:44 PM said:
Hold on a second.

It really is two different issues. Look up some copyright law sometime.

Did you know that it is "technically" illegal to resell an entertainment medium?

No it's not. First sale applies. You're able to transfer your rights to that copy when you sell it unless the EULA forbids it. Once you sell it, you lose any rights you have to that copy and the buyer gains them.

Back