Any Way To Change Resolution?

NeoTheFox

Still Fresh
I have linux on my laptop, the natural resolution of my screen is 1024x768, but I can use hier one, so, will pandora support resolutions hier 800x600 even with damn small font?

Why would you want to do that in first place?
The Datasheet names the timings for 800x480, 480x272 (this might be interesting for my PSP emulator) and 400x240. But with an LCD like this you won't get a better, but worse image at higher resolution.
Unless you plan to mod in a CRT I don't see any good reason to switch the resolution. (You probably get some ???x576 for the TV-Out in PAL mode tho. Or in my case I had to use 704x??? in NTSC mode to get a stable TV-Out image on my beagleboard)

It doesn't make any sense at all to use a higher resolution than the LCD can display.
If you want to make the fonts smaller, there are other ways to do that.

There's always the scrolling 800x600 mode that the Eee701 uses, but I don't know if that's possible on this hardware. It's the kind of thing you only use when an app forces you to anyway.

Depending on what i am doing at the time, I`d really see 640x480 as a good option, Especially
when small objects and font are involved. But as others have said, I can`t see the point
in going higher. :blink:

Trooper

It doesn't make any sense at all to use a higher resolution than the LCD can display.
If you want to make the fonts smaller, there are other ways to do that.

Some apps will not work with the 800x600, like some games....
I don't mean to work with this resolution, I just think that some apps or games just cant use 800x600

Just look at secondlife as an example - it says:
Screen Resolution: 1024x768 pixels

And it will be very sad if you can't change resolution just 4 some apps...

NeoTheFox said:
Some apps will not work with the 800x600, like some games....
I don't mean to work with this resolution, I just think that some apps or games just cant use 800x600

Just look at secondlife as an example - it says:
Screen Resolution: 1024x768 pixels

And it will be very sad if you can't change resolution just 4 some apps...
Hmm, sounds like you need a crash course in what software can run on Pandora. :) If there's a game you like that requires 800x600 or more, it's not the resolution requirements that will prevent you from running it. It's the fact that it's not a Pandora game. It needs to be open source, and then it needs to be ported (assuming it can be). If someone ports a game it, or writes their own, it's going to run at 800x480. As an end user it's not something you need to worry about.

Hope you're not planning on running Second Life. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
"Linden Lab provides official viewers for Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / 7, Mac OS X, and most distributions of Linux." -- Wikipedia, source of undeniable truth

Yeah, and it says there isn't a x64 version, so there's no way that will run on the Pandora, regardless of screen resolution.

As Gruso said, it's like this:
1. Some programs are open-source. If they are ported, the porter can tweak them to fit 800 by 480
2. Some programs are closed-source. If the developer decides to port them, they will make it fit 800 by 480, or at least activate a shitty scaling feature to crunch their graphics into 800 by 480.

It is a fundamental property of the system, and does not need to be changed, and cannot be changed, and there is also no reason to change it.

actualy 400x240 would be usefull for games that are a little too heavy for the pandora, so running in lower resolution could reduce the load on the cpu or gpu, so as to get some extra FPS

Any game that's too heavy at 800x480 would look miserable at 400x240. Might be useful for N64 games, though, if there's any GPU bottleneck (Though to my understanding, there isn't much if any.).

Hmm, sounds like you need a crash course in what software can run on Pandora. :) If there's a game you like that requires 800x600 or more, it's not the resolution requirements that will prevent you from running it. It's the fact that it's not a Pandora game. It needs to be open source, and then it needs to be ported (assuming it can be). If someone ports a game it, or writes their own, it's going to run at 800x480. As an end user it's not something you need to worry about.

Hope you're not planning on running Second Life. ;)

I just spot SecondLife as an Example...
But according your information I cant install app with standart ./configure - Make - Install?
If it so, I think I've got much to learn about CODELIGHT IDE... :lol:

It will be nice if the .pnd will automatically created by compiling the sources....

laharl said:
actualy 400x240 would be usefull for games that are a little too heavy for the pandora, so running in lower resolution could reduce the load on the cpu or gpu, so as to get some extra FPS
I recall someone saying all the polygons still have to be processed by the CPU - so it would reduce GPU load a bit, but not CPU load. That means if you were trying to run something highly graphical, like DOOM 3, the GPU might be taxed and benefit from 400x240. Otherwise, it probably won't make a difference.

The people develping the device should know alot more about this. But it is posible in my EEE 701 to change resolution to 800x600 and others with a driver hack (on XP). Needed to play Diablo II and other similar sprite based games. it's also possible on my Windows Mobile 2003 Toshibe E800 via another driver hack. I don't see why it shouldn't be possible on Pandora.

hosant said:
The people develping the device should know alot more about this. But it is posible in my EEE 701 to change resolution to 800x600 and others with a driver hack. Needed to play Diablo II and other similar sprite based games. it's also possible on my Windows Mobile 2003 Toshibe E800 via another driver hack. I don't see why it shouldn't be possible on Pandora.

I believe the driver hack in question runs the game at 1024x768, then downscales for the screen.

I remember seeing the OQO do that on Youtube.

for all of you who need an example to see that neos point is vaid: what about freeciv?

.) it's open source

.) good luck hacking it to be nice on 800*480

and there are *tons* of apps like it. i always thought the beauty of a system like the pandora is that - no matter if it is "provided" by sy else or not, i can always just grab the source of any gpl code, compile it and it will work. now it is just true that screen res is often the only problematic thing with this appoach.

hch said:
and there are *tons* of apps like it. i always thought the beauty of a system like the pandora is that - no matter if it is "provided" by sy else or not, i can always just grab the source of any gpl code, compile it and it will work.

Actually it's not always as simple as that. Many games, for instance, rely on OpenGL (or DirectX - yes there's GPL Windows software too!) and these games will need alterations to work with Pandora's OpenGLES video driver.

There are probably other complications, but that's the one that sticks out in my mind...

Pleng said:
hch said:
and there are *tons* of apps like it. i always thought the beauty of a system like the pandora is that - no matter if it is "provided" by sy else or not, i can always just grab the source of any gpl code, compile it and it will work.

Actually it's not always as simple as that. Many games, for instance, rely on OpenGL (or DirectX - yes there's GPL Windows software too!) and these games will need alterations to work with Pandora's OpenGLES video driver.

There are probably other complications, but that's the one that sticks out in my mind...

ok, you need the libraries. sure. but there is allredy nanogl e.g.

i am mainly thinking of standard apps with dialog boxes exceeding 480 in height. they were a pain on the original eeepc and resolution hacks fixed the problem then.

NeoTheFox said:
I just spot SecondLife as an Example...
But according your information I cant install app with standart ./configure - Make - Install?
If it so, I think I've got much to learn about CODELIGHT IDE... :lol:

It will be nice if the .pnd will automatically created by compiling the sources....
Ok, seems I read you wrong. Apologies for thinking your next question would be about a WoW client. :D

When it comes down to it, it's a mobile device with finite capabilities. Some stuff will compile and run, some stuff will require extensive hacking. IIRC Pickle mentioned in his last DOSBox video (showing his port of the DOSBox front end DboxFE) that work was required on some of the GUI elements to fit the Pandora resolution. Just the nature of the beast. :)

Back