Any way to tighten the lid?

Mine was floppy until ED got his hands on it; now it's as firm as ever.

The hinge wasn't designed to stay open at 180 degrees - that was Craig's excuse for why it's a bag of shite. The hinge they wanted was patented by Nintendo and not allowed to be used, iirc. Craig then wandered around the forums stating in no uncertain terms how awesome the Pandora was opened fully, despite being clearly wrong. Again.

D.
If they were clever, they had mounted the Hinge in a different angle, so it would be stil lthe same hinge, the same piece but instead of stay at 180°, maybe only 170° or something like that.  I'm sure the mechanism would stil lallow to close the lid with a snap and still be able to bend over to 180°. For me, the explanation "patented" was not much more than an excuse, by the way alot of things are patented but this does not mean you can't buy and use it, it only means that you are not allowed to copy it.

I think there was issues with getting anyone to actually sell that hinge type to OPT.

D.

If they were clever, they had mounted the Hinge in a different angle, so it would be stil lthe same hinge, the same piece but instead of stay at 180°, maybe only 170° or something like that.
It is actually designed to be 170 degrees. If you fold it open on a table and look from the side you'll note that, even with gravity pulling it slightly past the lock point, the top still isn't parallel with the table. Notice that even after it's been locked you can still push it past that to open it a little bit further as well. 10 degrees is a surprisingly small amount, and with gravity pulling the lid against the lock it seems even less. It should probably have been more around 150 degrees: gravity would have pulled it near 155 which has a much better feel to it. We'd have gotten a hard lock there, and then a soft lock fully open.The only concern I would have is exactly what has since happened on my DS: it does have two hard locks, and even when it was new the first lock didn't always hold; years later that lock may not as well exist at all, it just flaps all the way open making a very slight "click" as it passes the 160 degree mark. Our screen is most definitely heavier than the DS's screen, how long would a shorter lock last? Has anyone done the DS hinge replacement and taken the time to test it?

Well, I've had mine since early 2011 and while very floppy when it came from Craig, ED managed to get it nice and stiff for me a short time later. It's still rock-solid now, and doesn't move much even when I press on it.

D.

Maybe if it is tightened too much it might cause a crack? I would say to be careful here.

Last edited:
Back