Anybody Working On A Bbc Micro Emulator?

Thanks. That looks very nice. Hope it gets ported.

In some ways it makes me wish the Pandora had 2 screens like the DS - so the bottom touch-sensitive screen could be used for accurate soft keyboards for whatever system is being emulated.

Yeah, I know what you mean - or how about each key cap actually having a programmable LED array rather than being printed? So that they keyboard layout is REALLY and truly "programmable" - right down to the key legend?

I cannot express how much I look forward to the opportunity to fit a BBC Micro (including monitor, plus some other capabilities) in my shirt pocket. It should be amazing, and hopefully an even better experience than the GP2X BeebEm... though I hope similar keyboard remapping will be possible. The GP2X BeebEm ability to remap keys "in place" (no need to exist and load up a text editor in order to try a new keyboard remapping) is great.

Monk said:
Yeah, I know what you mean - or how about each key cap actually having a programmable LED array rather than being printed? So that they keyboard layout is REALLY and truly "programmable" - right down to the key legend?
Like the Optimus keyboard? http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus-tactus/

Still vapourware and/or incredibly, stupidly expensive. Admittedly, they try to do it with OLED displays, but the mechanics of fitting a tiny (even LED) array into every single keyboard is an absolute nightmare. Think about it... you'd need something like 10x10 to even display a simple ASCII character, which would give you either 11 pins/wires on every keycap or some sort of integrated circuit on each keycap. The logistics of it mean it would break incredibly easily and be stupidly expensive to make.

Last edited by a moderator:
ledow said:
Still vapourware and/or incredibly, stupidly expensive. Admittedly, they try to do it with OLED displays, but the mechanics of fitting a tiny (even LED) array into every single keyboard is an absolute nightmare. Think about it... you'd need something like 10x10 to even display a simple ASCII character, which would give you either 11 pins/wires on every keycap or some sort of integrated circuit on each keycap. The logistics of it mean it would break incredibly easily and be stupidly expensive to make.
Ah, but what if you left the keycaps transparant and put a pico-projector under it? Admittedly, it'd make the Panda a little bit more bulky, but you have to ask yourself if that's a sacrifice you're not willing to make for [insert fanfare music] UNLIMITED KEYMAPS!!!

(Okay: mandatory clarification time. I WAS JOKING!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get the optimus keyboard on thinkgeek.com but I think it's like a thousand bucks!

----Edit
Never mind... looked at website and that's not exactly the same. But you can change the LED in each key at thinkgeek...

Actually, I was joking and hadn't even considered much beyond the basic thought of "an old 8-segment LED but presumably updated for size and reliability since I last used one" but it's kinda scary that the thought isn't THAT outrageous. Not terribly suitable to the Pandora, due to go to manufacturing ASAP and into our homes by Christmas, but it seems nearer and more likely than I'd imagined :blink:

The idea of a 48 x 48 display on each key:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/9836/

That's just... brilliant. Anyone feel generous enough to buy me one to play with? Anyone?

Monk - you can actually order that keyboard for 1000 euros =) And there is a 3key one for aroun 100 euros... I used that one in a store... it's actually pretty cool, but not really useful. But the cool factor is really high =)

This thread was all about the BBC emulator - if I wanted to know about dodgy keyboards and projectors then perhaps someone should have created an off-topic dicsussion.

So can we please get back on track and discuss if a BBC B emulator has been ported as I am dying to play the original Elite, Repoton, football manager games of yesteryear - especially on a keyboard which has axdw ,. (the old BBC B control keys if you did not have a analog joypad which cost a fortune at the time)

=====
http://gp2xwizandpandora.blogspot.com/

As delivery of my Pandora gets ever closer, I was wondering if there was any progress on BeebEm?

Cheers.

Back