Anyone Know About Overclocking?

b1ueskycomp1ex

Open Sauce Fanatic & AMD Fanboy
Website
https
Ok, so I've got some lame foxconn motherboard, but it lets me set the FSB and the memory clocks and all that. Right now I've got some DDR 2100 (2 x 1GB, dual channel kit) I've got 4 Memory slots for use with dual channel ram, and I'm running an athlon 64 3500+ (2.2Ghz, socket 939) I was just wondering, if I get say, DDR 4000, could I overclock higher by setting the memory slower than 500Mhz speeds? Because at the moment, I bottom out at maybe a 100Mhz increase in processing power. =P I'm pretty sure it's my ram, this chip doesn't get hot in this case.

I've heard of the 3500+ venice core hitting something like 2.6Ghz with air cooling, so i'm interested.

Yeah, I've heard of it.
It might be handy if you're doing a lot of GPGPU and you can increase your GPU's clockspeed a bit, but otherwise it's just a waste of time for incremental performance increase on the most demanding, non-IO-blocking tasks.

tl;dr: It will make games a teeny bit faster and everything else will not see an improvement. Don't even bother.

Now I'm wondering if it's not the ram. I've set the ram down to 100Mhz speeds with the 133Mhz timings, set the HT link to 800Mhz rather than 1000Mhz, and then bumped the bus speed to 220Mhz, which then proceeds to freeze up on my once I hit my windows desktop and the startup sound plays. Could this be a Voltage issue? It's certainly not a lack of wattage, as I'm running a 700Watt power supply and I'm using a geforce 8400GS. I've got a foxconn 761GXK8MB motherboard. Could this be a voltage issue? o_O

Edit: Note how I asked if it could be a voltage issue twice. Left for the lulz. Could it maybe be an issue with my Vcore?

Back