I'm out of ideas for news-titles

I'm really tempted to say that I'd be happy for a 2GB unit, if 4GB proves a little too problematic.

Call me impatient, but: Reliability and Battery life > Potential improvement in excessive browsing and an uncertain release.

there is no big difference in the battery life between 2GB and 4GB units.

Source ?
There's no know number to my knowledge. The only things known is : keeping 2GB of memory refreshed have a power cost and keeping 2 times as much memory cost 2 time more energy

There is a larger difference between LPDDR and DDR. Pyra has DDR.
There is not a big difference in active runtime between the two - maybe 5% less (ish).
There WILL be a big difference in standby-on times - maybe 15-30% less.

Source ?
There's no know number to my knowledge. The only things known is : keeping 2GB of memory refreshed have a power cost and keeping 2 times as much memory cost 2 time more energy
Yes, but the RAM is only one of the things active. During usage with the display & SoC & radios running, the RAM refresh is a relatively small slice of the power footprint. Where it makes a bigger difference is in standby with the RAM still refreshing and the display off and the CPU in very low use.

2x of something negligible stays negligible.
and for source, i just found some discussions about this question.
for example here https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ram-vs-energy.2355735/ and here www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/6jkt31/ram_size_vs_battery_life/
You're welcome to your opinion or to share other's opinion. However most smartphone examples deal with LPDDR RAM with it's lower voltages and longer refresh tolerances. Pyra has DDR3 RAM - which consumes quite a bit more power than LPDDR. The difference is semi-negligible during use. However, RAM refresh power needs are a huge chunk of the power envelope during power-on-standby mode. 2GB Pyras could expect 15-30% more standby (semi-off in pocket) time.

It could also make a significant effect on screen-off low CPU power tasks (music playback) battery life. The less stuff the device is doing, the more, by proportion of power envelope, share of power used, goes to RAM.

So, there IS a trade off. No, it is not cataclysmic on the power requirements side. However, it is also not cataclysmic to have 'only' 2GB of RAM.

if i understand you, it has no important impact in battery life if you use the pira intensely but a more important impact in battery life if you dont use it intensely. is that the idea?

if i understand you, it has no important impact in battery life if you use the pira intensely but a more important impact in battery life if you dont use it intensely. is that the idea?
Correct.

Well, I´ve got a GPD and while it´s a neat and powerful little device, it suffers quite many problems:
- standby-resume issues with the occasional reboot while in standby
- driver problems
- mass-storage performance
- the keyboard +o(
- NO KEYBOARD BACKLIGHT!
- display back-light - too dimm at day, too bright in the night
- the OS (Windows: after every service-pack some problems go away and new problems arise, the drivers and hardware support of GPD is crappy)
- hard to open (to get to the internals)

For me, it´s a really nice Steam-Boy and Youtube-machine but really not suitable for work.
That´s why I wait for the Pyra in the hope for a stable, real-work suitable machine.
The devices will both be used by me, one for playing and one for working, guess which one will do what :D

But that´s of course just my opinion and maybe others won´t feel the problems of the GPD as that much of a dealbraker for being a work-tool.
Don't know why so many people hate the keyboard so much, just use controller companion and set the Right bumper as Shift, and the left bumper as Control.
Enjoy typing without looking at the keyboard!
But yeah I imagine the Pyra as a much more stable and significantly better designed device overall, but the only thing holding it down is the arm CPU imo.
Also don't forget the Microphone on the GPD-Win is pure cancer, I have to get out my phone for using Discord.

The lack of progress is worrying, it seems like the RAM turns out to be a hard hurdle to tackle.

@fantomid is the french event manager.
He's currently in talks for the TGS.
This year, we were supposed to share a booth with a geeky association, but the TGS refused the asso, so I suppose we are gonna get a stand alone.

The stand alone is not reserved.
Had to get feedback from the game dev association to know if we could get a little space :|

A sad state of affairs to be sure. I tried enabling the acceleration on my PI3 twice, about half a year between attempts (therefore with a couple of different kernel releases) both times I got artefacts in the "regular" apt-getted Oolite and had to allocate a disproportionate amount of memory for the GPU because there was no dynamic allocation... or actually there was, but that one is even more busted than the GPU driver and therefore very unstable. I had better (more rewarding :)) things to tinker with. So I quickly gave up and forgot about the PI3 as a GL platform. At least until the PI has so much RAM I don't need dynamic allocation. Which is not going to happen, because by then I'll probably need more RAM - I don't think the PI4 is going to be released all that soon ;-).

Do share if you've had more success with the GPU of a PI3!

As far as OpenGL goes, the Pandora had a far better out of box experience (it just worked) than the PI, but of course I've managed to break that experience too when tinkering with Slackware (something to do with my WM?).

Note that I did qualify what I said with the provision that the SoC could have more memory than the Pi has.

It is disappointing that your attempts at OpenGL with the Pi 3 were not more successful. I have to admit, most of my experience with any version of the Pi is with 2D video, which it does a good job with. That is also true with the GC2000 with open source drivers. The OpenGL I have seen in Linux on ARM has been with closed source drivers as with the Pandora and the Chip. I do have a Raspberry Pi 3 that I could experiment with, and I suppose I should. I also have a Cubox i4Pro that I could make comparisons with, also using open source drivers (albeit reverse engineered ones), but having 2 GB of RAM. I should probably take a look at both of them.

hm time for zombies or memes crying for news?

Just to hear your scream ... ;=p

pyranewsz.jpg

Original Pyra image: very black found at https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/a-spectrum-of-pyra-renders.76573/

Edit: wrong link ...

Last edited:
First, 4Gb is important, and 1.5ghz is also important.

Why would anyone take these assertions seriously when you haven't given any reasons to back your claims?

Particularly when coming on the heels of thoughtful debate about advantages/disadvantages of aiming for 2 vs 4 GB at this point.

"Is important TO ME" i would have had no issue with.

"A V8 engine is important." "Cheeseburgers are important." "Well-groomed dachsunds are important." "Ph-balanced shampoo is important."

Last edited:
Back