I'm out of ideas for news-titles

It is strange how there isnt any criticism on this project at all.
If someone dare to criticise, he is labled as a troll right on the spot.

If you have invested money in the project, and for some folks a Pyra costs a lot of money I think you are surely entitled to criticize if they are being lied to or the team isn't working hard to fulfil their obligations.
I don't think the team is lying or not doing their utmost to launch it asap though. Also very openly sharing the delays etc. Haven't seen ED promising or confirming a launchdate as well.

Well it's already not only in EOL but in a strange "we pretend it never existed" state. Try to find anything about OMAP5 itself (not the EVM boards) in TI's webpage...
I'm sure the OMAP5 is not THAT bad that even TI does not love their own child anymore... :eek:
Well, at least there are alot of potential useful mobile CPU's out there for possible future updates. I throw out calibres like "Snapdragon 835" and more. :D Would need serious cooling of course but should be fast enough for the next 5 years when used in a open Pyra like device.

I'm sure the OMAP5 is not THAT bad that even TI does not love their own child anymore... :eek:
Well, at least there are alot of potential useful mobile CPU's out there for possible future updates. I throw out calibres like "Snapdragon 835" and more. :D Would need serious cooling of course but should be fast enough for the next 5 years when used in a open Pyra like device.
Actually getting that would be far too difficult. Qualcomm is rather....dickish... to smaller companies. That's partly why you don't see companies like GPD using them for their Android gaming devices. Not even the XD2 is slated to use a Snapdragon, so you can't expect an even more obscure team like Dragonbox to get them.
If we ever get an upgrade board for Pyra, I would think Mediatek might be the only option as I don't think TI develops mobile SoCs anymore, Rockchip is kinda poop, and the Pyra just doesn't have the proper cooling to run an x86 chip (Atom or otherwise) well enough to be viable.

Pyra just doesn't have the proper cooling to run an x86 chip (Atom or otherwise) well enough to be viable.

Space is at a real premium on the shell of the device, but I imagine the bottom part of the unit could be machined in aluminum, and given a ridged exterior to act as a giant heat fin. How to get the heat to it though, I don't know.

Just looking at the various gpd discussion forums and websites with all the discussions on faulty equipment, do you think the pyra will be a better experience in comparison? It's one of the main reasons I'd rather wait for a better polished mobile device when if the gpd has better specs. What good is it if I either have to live with the faulty specs or deal with nightmare returning for fixes. I've read that Ed is much better at helping with defective/replacement issues in comparison.

My Pandora's a bit battered due to a couple of screen cable failures, but ED is taking steps to improve those in the Pyra along with other perceived and actual failures in the Pandora. If his improvements are good, then it should turn out to be more reliable than a competitor device that is known to have issues, and software-wise the guys here have been very good at working around any bugs i the Pandora hardware over the years. Getting repairs done by ED where necessary is a strong point of his as well.

Now someone just needs to build a palmtop around it. ;)

That actually isn't a completely bad idea. How about an 80386 die shrunk to 20nm with 128MB of RAM and XGA graphics to a 16 greyscale paperwhite 1280x1024 LCD? Battery life could be months. Run PC DOS & Desqview on it.

That actually isn't a completely bad idea. How about an 80386 die shrunk to 20nm with 128MB of RAM and XGA graphics to a 16 greyscale paperwhite 1280x1024 LCD? Battery life could be months. Run PC DOS & Desqview on it.
Give it 4G LTE with Arachne browser too!

Desqview !! now there is a thing i had forgotten about.. 80386 shrunk to 20 nm ? can we put a 80387 co processor in there too? wow the architecture is quote " CHMOS IV, 1 µm" so thats 1000nM ?? thats some shrinkage. fond memories of a 386DX-33 and eventually the 387 co pro... what a gaming beast it was....

Back