Anyone Know The Status On Fennec For Arm Cpus?

cobaltage

Just wondering if anyone is keeping up with Fennec. The last video I saw of it, just last week, looked pretty good.

Every snapshot is released on Maemo, so Fennec will definitely work on the Pandora.

I'd actually be surprised if a Mozilla dev is not part of the silent masses of the preorderers.

If we get Fennec on Pandora, I hope it runs a helluva lot faster than it was on my WinMo phone. I think I used it for all of 5 minutes before I got frustrated with how slow it was. It was an early version so I'm sure they have a long way to go, and it seems promising. :)

Or we could just all use Chrome and not have to worry about speeds, at all.

*cough*

Thanks. I like Chrome, but I'm interested in Fennec because of the features that save screen real estate, and eventually the add-ons.

I didn't realize it would definitely be compatible, so that's great news.

Gary13579 said:

*cough*
Is V8 actually optimized for ARM?

If it is, I ain't complaining since I use nothing except for Chromium on all of my computers (especially since it now has an extension API in 4.0.* that gives me access to AdBlock and all that stuff) so I'd really like to have it on the Pandora, too...

Fennec seems to be too bloated in my eyes; it's the same extension API, the same slow rendering APIs that emulate GTK, and it's just not something I wanna use on a portable device with limited resources.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking about asking this question a little while back. Will we have to adapt the Maemo version to use non Hildonised GUI components? Fennec would be great to see, but unnecessary as we have full blown Firefox.

Full-blown Firefox will likely be a lot better than Fennec. I thought maybe touchscreen-enhanced support Fennec may have (like flick momentum scrolling and the like) might be better than none in Firefox, but it turns out there's an addon that covers that.

-Tj- said:
Full-blown Firefox will likely be a lot better than Fennec. I thought maybe touchscreen-enhanced support Fennec may have (like flick momentum scrolling and the like) might be better than none in Firefox, but it turns out there's an addon that covers that.

Is it an official one from Mozilla? Don't happen to have the name do you? Thanks.

Dead1nside said:
-Tj- said:

Is it an official one from Mozilla? Don't happen to have the name do you? Thanks.

It is called Grab and Drag and I don't believe it is from Mozilla, unless hosting your site on mozdev.org means anything.

musicalwoods said:
It is called Grab and Drag and I don't believe it is from Mozilla, unless hosting your site on mozdev.org means anything.

Thank-you for the link, I was just wandering because Mozilla has taken to separating bits of their technology into extensions instead of in the mainline by default, I was just wandering whether this was the case for this extension.

dflemstr said:
Gary13579 said:

*cough*

If it is, I ain't complaining since I use nothing except for Chromium on all of my computers (especially since it now has an extension API in 4.0.* that gives me access to AdBlock and all that stuff) so I'd really like to have it on the Pandora, too...

Fennec seems to be too bloated in my eyes; it's the same extension API, the same slow rendering APIs that emulate GTK, and it's just not something I wanna use on a portable device with limited resources.

Why exactly does it have to be optimized for ARM? It's coded in C++, and I doubt they are using inline ASM anywhere.

V8 implements ECMAScript as specified in ECMA-262, 3rd edition, and runs on Windows XP and Vista, Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), and Linux systems that use IA-32 or ARM processors.

Also, : http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxChromiumArm

Gary13579 said:
dflemstr said:
Gary13579 said:

*cough*

Why exactly does it have to be optimized for ARM? It's coded in C++, and I doubt they are using inline ASM anywhere.
Because it does JIT, and I thought that it might produce actual sequential machine code instead of just "chaining function pointers" (in lack of a better term)
Gary13579 said:
V8 implements ECMAScript as specified in ECMA-262, 3rd edition, and runs on Windows XP and Vista, Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), and Linux systems that use IA-32 or ARM processors.

Also, : http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxChromiumArm
OK cool, time to celebrate!

Firefox3 does run fine on the Pandora, it's just such a memory hog. I mean just think about it for a second, what the hell is a web browser doing with 256MB of RAM?

craigix said:
Firefox3 does run fine on the Pandora, it's just such a memory hog. I mean just think about it for a second, what the hell is a web browser doing with 256MB of RAM?
Yeah, I have no idea:

(and that's with 3 tabs + 1 huge flash applet running (Machinarium))

EDIT: It might just be xulrunner having to load so many pixmaps for the GUI...

dYIUW.png

This is with just two tabs open, ugh. I wouldn't even be using FireFox if work didn't require it.

Try closing firefox (using the "save session" feature preferably) and then re-launch it again. That usually frees a lot of mem used by firefox. I did it just now and the reduction was 110m -> 79m (using top).

Yoyobuae said:
Try closing firefox (using the "save session" feature preferably) and then re-launch it again. That usually frees a lot of mem used by firefox. I did it just now and the reduction was 110m -> 79m (using top).

Yes, I know about memory leaks, but the fact that they still exist in FOSS project like FireFox after all these years bugs me. Chromium handles it nicely, imho.

Back