Fennec

Fennec is an awesome Pandora browser for those who haven't yet experienced it. It seems more stable than either of the two built in browsers, suffers from no (unusual) rendering errors, and is absolutelt built with fingers in mind. The entire UI is meant to be finger-clickable while staying out of your way. You have to swipe to the right to see your open tabs and to the left to get your options. Double-click any point on a page to zoom in.

It's a little slower at times than I'd like, but you can fix the worst of it by disabling the page zoom animation:

1. go to about:config

2. search for "duration"

3. set the zoom animation duration to 00 from 200.

4. Restart the browser.

Overall, it's an awesome experience.

thanks i stopped using it because of the zoom function.

Ill go back to it now :)

easily the best browser on the pandora cept downloads dont work when you dont have a link.

edit# where is the about config?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup fennec seems to have trouble downloading from say openhanhelds and pandora apps,and a few other bugs.But it is nice once you get used to it.

Sorry for necroposting, but...

I just discovered this after seeing one of ED's older videos (the "video a day" on web browsers), and it's great! Could use some work (like a replacement for the "pinch zoom" thing normally used to zoom in/out, probably something involving the arrow keys EDIT: nevermind, that exists, Ctrl+Up/Down), but works really well. Very finger friendly. How come no one seems to show any interest in this browser?

I just discovered this after seeing one of ED's older videos (the "video a day" on web browsers), and it's great! Could use some work (like a replacement for the "pinch zoom" thing normally used to zoom in/out, probably something involving the arrow keys), but works really well. Very finger friendly. How come no one seems to show any interest in this browser?

I think it's a great browser and the one best suited to the Pandora's screen size. Unfortunately I found it to crash quite often, but I would love to see further work on this or any other gesture based browser.

I imagine development stopped because people settled for currently working browsers while waiting for more Pandora's to get into the wild, and threads like this will help convince people their efforts are appreciated.

Well, all I did was bundling up the binaries from Debian.

Is Fennec still being developed?

I personally don't use it :)

It's since been renamed to "Firefox Mobile", and as far as I know it was still around as of at least last year.

My personal experience of it on Android (before I gave up on Android) is that it's still as unfriendly, confusing, inconsistent, and broken as when it was called Fennec. It also has horrible scaling, now.

My personal experience of it on Android (before I gave up on Android) is that it's still as unfriendly, confusing, inconsistent, and broken as when it was called Fennec. It also has horrible scaling, now.

I've read that people don't like it.

BUT, unlike most popular mobile browsers, Firefox Mobile/Fennec is free software, so it can be improved specifically for the Pandora, which is why I think it's worth giving it attention.

^ But why, when you can use a proper browser, instead of a crippled telephone one? :p

EDIT: I should clarify, that's an honest question. I'm also going to hazard a guess that that's why people have settled on the browsers that are currently popular.

^ But why, when you can use a proper browser, instead of a crippled telephone one? :p

EDIT: I should clarify, that's an honest question. I'm also going to hazard a guess that that's why people have settled on the browsers that are currently popular.
I find it easier to use, and it makes more efficient use of the small screen. Plus, it doesn't have any of those annoying tip boxes that pop up when the mouse hovers over something.

Obviously, desktop browsers are needed for certain things (interestingly, logging into these forums and the Repo are the only "things" I've run into other than Flash), but for most general tasks, Fennec works rather well. All it's missing for me is maybe some optimization (not even really necessary), NOT zooming out to see the full width of the page all the time, and Adblock Plus. Oh, and it should have an optional maximum number of tabs, probably.

Back