Anyone Used 1 On A Plane?

I use mine regularly on flights. You are not allowed to switch on electrical devices until the plane has taken off and the fasten seat belt sign is switched off. Also, towards the end of the flight when the seat belt sign comes back on, electrical devices must be turned off. This is my experience anyway with BA, Ryanair, EasyJet and SAS.

WhizzBang posted on Oct 30 2006 at 02:18 PM said:
You are not allowed to switch on electrical devices until the plane has taken off and the fasten seat belt sign is switched off. Also, towards the end of the flight when the seat belt sign comes back on, electrical devices must be turned off.

what the hell is all that about? are they seriously worried that a handheld console will make the plane crash.

is that it? - you cant even use an mp3 player for moses sake!

annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
deepmenace posted on Oct 30 2006 at 09:36 AM said:
You are not allowed to switch on electrical devices until the plane has taken off and the fasten seat belt sign is switched off. Also, towards the end of the flight when the seat belt sign comes back on, electrical devices must be turned off.

what the hell is all that about? are they seriously worried that a handheld console will make the plane crash.

annoying.
Yes, they dont want to take any chances of it interferring with navigation, landing, etc.

I used my 2x on a 2 hour flight and it was OK. Don't worry about it, people use psps and DSs all the time.

Well yes, you shouldn't turn it on during take-off and landing, but the rest is all right. I used it just this summer, before all the new crazy laws though.

- Alex

deepmenace posted on Oct 30 2006 at 04:36 PM said:

annoying.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/10/30

And today's comic, too. Spooky.

deepmenace posted on Oct 31 2006 at 01:36 AM said:
You are not allowed to switch on electrical devices until the plane has taken off and the fasten seat belt sign is switched off.,,

annoying.

It's to stop any electronic device which emits radio waves of any kind. Since they can't tell which devices do this, they have to say that *all* devices have to be switched off.

Layman users of electronic devices (not the esteemed users of this board) often don't know how to operate their own devices anyway. I see this when I am on holiday where tourist attractions like churchs have signs up that say "No flash photography". People still flash away with their digital cameras because they don't know how to turn it off.

Yep, on a twelve hour flight to Japan and on one to Germany as well. Had no problems at all.

Same here; used it on my flight to and from Spain this summer, and using it on my flight to Spain tomorrow (and the flight back on Sunday) as well. But yeah, as PokeParadox pointed out: use headphones or turn the sound off; it's quite annoying when someone next to you has a little bleeping thing in his hands during the whole flight, and Bernard yelling "Neat!" all the time when you "right click" on something becomes annoying real fast as well, even for me as a player, so I can only imagine how others would react.

subcon959 posted on Oct 30 2006 at 03:11 PM said:
I used a GameGear (they look sort of similar) recently without any trouble so I think you'll be ok.
Wasn't a long haul flight then

thanks :D that will make my trip go faster. what about a nokia 9500 phone (or any communicator!). it has a flight mode on it im just not sure if its wise.

On a recent flight from LAX to Honolulu, some numbnuts was on the phone about an hour before landing. The pilot came over the intercom and told him to switch it off. You are fine with gp2x, ipod etc above 10,000ft, once the aircraft is on its way. Never had a problem with a DS myself.

The new rules are mostly about liquids, they don't involve video games. I took my laptop on an international flight a few weeks ago, and I also had my old green-screen Game Boy out, and a CD player. I flew Delta, Japan Airlines and a couple of smaller airlines.

It depends because here in Mexico i can fly to any city inside this Country with almost any Electronic device(Laptops,PDAs,Gameboys,Cellphones etc etc)Of course i can't have them ON during the first minutes and during landing but if i am flying towards the USA or to any USA City i can't have any electronic device in my hands during the Flight.

My Mother works in a Travel agency and some days ago she flied to Panama City from Mexico city with a Portable DVD player without any problems, but she told me that it's impossible to fly from Mexico to USA with that kind of electronic device(s) because the New after 9-11 laws.But for West Europeans is different so i think it depends on many things.

Back