App Store needs updating

richiz

App store could use a big overhaul as there is lots of software in many different locations at the moment.

I want it overhauled as the Apple fanboys in my office are laughing at the app store. I know there's much more software for the Pandora and would be happy to overhaul it myself.

Although I generally laugh at them when they show me Sonic on the iPad, which is about as enjoyable to play as a punch in the face. Or angry birds, lul.

It's up to developers to put their applications on the app store.

For a more comprehensive (or at least more complete and up to date) list of what's available, check out the Wiki

It's up to developers to put their applications on the app store.

For a more comprehensive (or at least more complete and up to date) list of what's available, check out the Wiki
But surely if a developer puts their game/port etc. on Open handhelds or their own site, we can put it on our app store using their download link?

Then should they decide they no longer wish to contribute to our community (reasons would likely be blueprotonman) when they take down their download link the App store would also stop working?

(reasons would likely be blueprotonman)

I am a danger to the entire Pandora endeavor, and should be seen as a thread to all open handhelds. Please cancel my order and ban me from the forums. (Oh, and could you please spell my name right? ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
But surely if a developer puts their game/port etc. on Open handhelds or their own site, we can put it on our app store using their download link?

Then should they decide they no longer wish to contribute to our community (reasons would likely be blueprotonman) when they take down their download link the App store would also stop working?
The appstore does not just work as a referrer, it also hosts all the files (I am not sure it can even be used as the first).

Craig wanted this place to be the definite site to get all apps for the Pandora as he probably wanted a prettier user interface than the Openhandhelds archive (maintained and hosted by ED) and Pandora compatibility (had to work on a small screen).

So this site was created with help from the community (mostly graphics), but some developers of the community were unhappy because of the bloated, eye-candy interface and the approval process (probably the same reasons one does not like the Apple app store).

At some point the rumour was started ED would close down his archive completely, but this caused a huge uproar in the community, which probably is the reason it is still up.

Eventually part of the community decided to boycott Craig's site and only use the OH archive, others use both, some use neither as in only their own site (this are just a few).

In the end it is a complete mess and quite the opposite of what Craig aimed at.

You can read the full backlog on gp32x.de, it has been talked to death (including the name - I personally try to avoid "app-store" which got kind of a negative connotation).

There even was an alternate solution in the works (with its own ugly story), but the creator has since left the community.

Bottom line: You can't really tell anyone where to upload their stuff and you would infringe people's copyright by just uploading it to some place without their permission. So you can't really do anything against this clusterfuck without creating a new place everyone is happy with (a lot of work and not guaranteed to work out eventually).

As WizardStan said, the wiki has all the apps as it is maintained by some nice and passionate guys, one can't post these links often enough: :p

http://pandorawiki.o...ftware_projects

http://pandorawiki.org/Games

http://pandorawiki.org/Emulator_list

foxblock out

PS: I would be happy to have an alternate solution everyone is happy with - I don't like the way it currently is, so bring it on (though it is not likely to happen I guess).

EDIT: Also this is just the tip of the iceberg, why do you think we have two forums with Pandora sections to begin with ;)

True. I'll do my downloading from the wiki. I'd mainly use the other two for window shopping. Or as the case may be, window downloading.

I see, blueproton: please refrain from ruining threads where people actually want information. Start threads as much as you want.. anyone that sees your name will boycott it but try not to troll threads where people want frank discusions.

But surely you cannot post a file available for download on your website or open handhelds and get annoyed if someone puts a linker on their site?

For instance the file would still be hosted by the developer or OH but a link could be on the app store. I know the wiki has it all but an app store would be nicer as it could look more awesome and fit the screen better.

The fragmentation has already led to duplicate ports so would be nicer. Sounds a lot like cutting the nose to spite the face.

True. I'll do my downloading from the wiki. I'd mainly use the other two for window shopping. Or as the case may be, window downloading.

You'll be downloading windows, then? :p

(I've got to stop making puns all the time)

EDIT: quote

I don't see how I was about to ruin this thread, but whatever.

If Craig's too busy to manage the App Store (I don't like the name, either), then he should get someone else to do it. Someone in the community, perhaps?

I do have a massive update for the appstore in the works, just need to ship these remaining units first.

Interesting to see the person who started all the bullshit about the appstore has vanished, which was the whole reason I didn't want to use someones elses software - if they vanish you're stuck.

I'm pretty sure Eds archive has the same approval process too? It's kind of risky just to allow anything to be uploaded, imagine where that could lead if someone decided to make something malicious 'Awesome new N64 emu' which actually formats your NAND.

No but that's the point...all the app store would have is links to developers files they hosted elsewhere if they did not want their software on the app store.

Then if they decide to vanish then when they stop hosting their file it is no longer available on the app store.

For instance temple was kind enough to port bubbman 2 the other day, with an app store you could go onto it and check latest games and try it out. It would be a much better experience. Even if the creator did not want the file hosted on the server then we could ask said developer to host it on OH or their own site and use their download url for the app store. Still a complete experience yet the control is in the devs hands.

That's not what I was referring to, I could easily incorporate your idea though.

What happened was someone made some appstore software and 'encouraged' me to use it, rather than writing my own.

When I eventually said I wanted to write it myself he got very angry and several people sided with him and decided I was a bit of a bastard

for not using his work.

My reasons were mainly that I didn't want to risk using his work only for him to vanish off the face of the earth at some point in the future potentially

leaving us with an unfinished/broken appstore. Well now I hear he has indeed vanished.

So I'm happy with my decision.

The appstore will begin its upgrade tonight, I could do with someone to help me maintain it though, ideally someone who has been on this scene for a while and knows that it will involve real work.

What happened was someone made some appstore software and 'encouraged' me to use it, rather than writing my own.

Was it dflemstr as per this thread on the old boards?

If it was then that is a shame as what he'd produced looked highly promising to my untrained eye.

As for looking for someone to maintain the appstore, are you looking for a volunteer or an employee? Might be worth clarifying as you mention 'real work'.

Interesting to see the person who started all the bullshit about the appstore has vanished, which was the whole reason I didn't want to use someones elses software - if they vanish you're stuck.

When I eventually said I wanted to write it myself he got very angry and several people sided with him and decided I was a bit of a bastard

for not using his work.

My reasons were mainly that I didn't want to risk using his work only for him to vanish off the face of the earth at some point in the future potentially

leaving us with an unfinished/broken appstore. Well now I hear he has indeed vanished.

So I'm happy with my decision.
I don't know who started the whole thing, to me it did not seem like it was dflemstr, as The Box appeared after you presented the idea for your site, but I probably am wrong about that - it's just the way it seemed to outsiders.

But, his whole work is open source, so there never was a real risk of him vanishing as another one could pick up where he left off. Also I had a look over his code, it is very clan written and well commented.

On top of that The Box had more features and a better user interface (in my eyes).

But, on the other hand I can understand that nobody wants to work with somebody else's code and not everyone has the knowledge needed to pick up development. Also I like to have full control over my programs and don't like everyone else to fiddle with my code, so I can emphasize with you on that level, too.

I don't want to get into a discussion about what happend and what went wrong here, also I don't want to blame anyone. I am just stating some facts. There is nothing we can do about that now anyway.

I can't imagine everyone is happy with the current situation so the best we can do is to find a solution together, the OP's idea could be a good start - though there still will be people refusing to use the site, oh well...

Was it dflemstr as per this thread on the old boards?

If it was then that is a shame as what he'd produced looked highly promising to my untrained eye.

As for looking for someone to maintain the appstore, are you looking for a volunteer or an employee? Might be worth clarifying as you mention 'real work'.
Yes, at least I was referring to him.

foxblock out

EDIT: Also "vanished" is not the right word. He left the whole project after writing a lengthy post about why - it partially had to do with the whole "appstore" thing (but for the most part it was other reasons).

Also I should mention I also started work on a new app-repository using the specs that on the pandora wiki.

you can follow my process in the development section of the gp32x boards (sorry too lazy to update 2 threads).

and craig, If you have seen the bandwidth increase recently for apps.openpandora.org its probably my fault.

one of my scripts parses your site to pull the latest apps (quick way to populate my db :) )

although I have now coded my script to check the first 100kB of each app for duplicate apps to make sure I dont keep requesting the same apps over and over again and pushing ur bandwith through the roof.

I know its prob rubbish to keep introducing new sites but im adding lots of features to my site which checks to make sure the app is a valid pnd file checking for required XML data and it even checks for the icon and pulls it from the end of the binary.

my backend is coming on well so far :) and tempel is working on a native client for pandora which pull apps from my site (though techinally any site that is in line with the repo spec).

I cant wait to see your update craig.

I don't mind multiple appstores/archives at all, I just don't like being told what to do, that was the issue back then.

I like coding, it keeps me sane and I wanted to code an appstore just to see how it could be done. I enjoy it. It was a shame certain people thought

I should have to use someone elses code, I'm never comfortable with other peoples code.

BS.

The reason of the fragmentation is : it's a pain to get upload right on the appstore, then the upload process is freaking pain too.

The Box poped after you launched the appstore. dflemstr tried to show that there are many greater way to upload a pnd the a file-archive.

And you're the one that started the split, as the filearchive existed way before the appstore. I still consider the FA as being the central place to find stuff. I'm checking the wiki to make sure.

The appstore will begin its upgrade tonight, I could do with someone to help me maintain it though, ideally someone who has been on this scene for a while and knows that it will involve real work.

As said before, if someone want to pick my struff on the Filearchive and upload it to the appstore, feeel free to do so.

Wake me up when you'll have fixed the upload process with something smooth and fault tolerant

Back