Found What I'm Looking For?

whiskthecat said:
I was aware that you were responding to the cracking comment when I posted.

It's possible to come up with excuses for emulating legally. I doubt there are any plausible excuses for wifi cracking. If you can come up with any, I'm all ears.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
It's possible to come up with excuses for emulating legally. I doubt there are any plausible excuses for wifi cracking. If you can come up with any, I'm all ears.
The REAL "excuse" for emulating is typically, "No one cares anymore".

Of course, obscure cases can be made for emulating legally. (Perhaps you're a developer) But you can come up with similar excuses for cracking wifi. (Perhaps you're a security consultant. Penetrating your client's networks might be your stock and trade.)

The real difference is while copying an out-of-print piece of media is mostly harmless, penetrating someone's wifi is not a victimless crime in any way. At best you are sapping bandwidth that someone took deliberate steps to protect, and at worse you're violating people's privacy.

dflemstr said:
Kramy said:
I plan to have an ecrypted Truecrypt file for all my important stuff, like passwords/email/etc.

If it isn't available at launch, it won't take long.
Why TrueCrypt when there's LUKS and dm-crypt?

I have not to this day found anything that's easier to use.

So that I can access the data on my Windows PC, when I remove the SD card and put it in my card reader? :p

It would be easy to argue that emulation is not a victimless crime. An obvious example would be the virtual console on the wii producing revenue for devs of games from long ago. Either way I have nothing against emulation or wifi cracking, I just simply believe that we should be able to discuss whatever we wish on the forums as long as it is relevent to the pandora.

whiskthecat said:
It would be easy to argue that emulation is not a victimless crime. An obvious example would be the virtual console on the wii producing revenue for devs of games from long ago. Either way I have nothing against emulation or wifi cracking, I just simply believe that we should be able to discuss whatever we wish on the forums as long as it is relevent to the pandora.
however, this thread is going off topic, your last post was barely relevant with the mention of wifi cracking, which is barely relevant to the OP's question.

i do believe the pandora fits the OP's requirements, to stay on topic.

Kramy said:
dflemstr said:
Kramy said:
I plan to have an ecrypted Truecrypt file for all my important stuff, like passwords/email/etc.

If it isn't available at launch, it won't take long.
Why TrueCrypt when there's LUKS and dm-crypt?

I have not to this day found anything that's easier to use.

So that I can access the data on my Windows PC, when I remove the SD card and put it in my card reader? :p
You can do that with LUKS too...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeOTFE

And BTW, I don't think that TrueCrypt will come to the Pandora any time soon, because:
  1. It uses ridiculous amounts of resources
  2. It's optimized for neither mobile devices nor Linux.
  3. Those who really care about their data use other encryption alternatives just because the likelihood is smaller that you'll compromise your data if someone finds an exploit in popular encryption software
  4. Heck, dm-crypt is part of the freaking Linux kernel; how much more of a stable system can you get? :p

whiskthecat said:
It would be easy to argue that emulation is not a victimless crime. An obvious example would be the virtual console on the wii producing revenue for devs of games from long ago.

Except I really doubt that each developer that worked on the games that are now on virtual console are getting paid, so that is a crime in itself anyways. It's probably just the company that produced the game that is getting paid for allowing it on Virtual Console.

-God Ginrai

Xian Long said:
yes, to prevent the honor system virus. it's a pop box i plan on making that reads "please delete all of your files".

You're too late, the amish community already made that virus years ago. Although they circulate it on emails and forums.

White Demon said:
You're too late, the amish community already made that virus years ago. Although they circulate it on emails and forums.
I thought they distributed by horse and cart.

Quizzor said:
These I believe I've read (correct me if I'm wrong) it already fulfills:
-Can fit in my pocket.
If you've got reasonably large pocket. Imagine a Nintendo DS.

-Touchscreen.
-Full keyboard.
Check out the keyboard. It's not exactly "Full", but it's reasonable for the size.

-Hardcore emulation.
YES!
-Good gaming controls built in.
YES!
-Could pick a playlist, drop it in my pocket, and have it play music for at least 24 hours before requiring a recharge.
-Around 10 hour general battery life.
That's what they're saying. If true it'll be a welcome return to the olden days of long battery life. (PalmIII, Gameboy)

-Easy to tinker with and make some of my own software as I need it.
YES!

-Basic office programs. Word, Excel, Powerpoint? Etc. I know there will be at LEAST some word processing capabilities. Will Open Office be ported?
We've seen some glimpses of a spreadsheet program in the videos, I can't tell if it was OpenOffice or Gnumeric.

-Decent antivirus capabilities (or the lack of viruses). With the limited nature of the Pandora, I think it will be more like Apple, where no-one even bothers to write a virus.
Yea, Linux is mostly virus free, Arm Linux will be more-so. Always a chance with any programmable device though. (Does OpenOffice support Word macro viruses?)

-Communications. Internet? Is "tethering" the ONLY option? What's been going on with that plan I heard about for widespread public wifi in the US? Will anyone make some wifi cracking tools? I should still expect to carry some sort of cellphone for emergencies when I'm in the middle of wifi-nowhere?
Pandora is not an acceptable phone replacement.

One minor sticking point, of course, is that you can get a iPhone now. It's not clear when Pandoras will be available.

An obvious example would be the virtual console on the wii producing revenue for devs of games from long ago.
I know, that's why I said "out of print". It still diminishes the value of the property in some small way, though.

God Ginrai said:
Except I really doubt that each developer that worked on the games that are now on virtual console are getting paid, so that is a crime in itself anyways.
We call that "business". If you want to start a software workers' revolution I'm right behind you. However, Quietly pirating old games in private is not sticking it to the man, it's a guilty pleasure.

VRAndy said:
-Easy to tinker with and make some of my own software as I need it.
YES!

I hope it'll be easy to develop on the Pandora, but for now I have just been able to find some how-to's concerning for example basic use of the standard libraries (OpenGLES/OpenVG) on pandorawiki.
But I'm not gonna develop an OpenXX app now. First, How can we compile a simple app, directly on a Pandora and on a regular PC through ARM cross-compilation. Are there any place where I could find this? (Sorry for the little bit of 'off-topic')

EDIT: Okay, forget it. Everything's on the wiki.

If you're on linux, install the OpenEmbedded cross compiler for the BeagleBoard is a snap, and can then be used to compile binaries for Pandora. That's what I did anyway, and after a few false starts (which would have been easier if I'd actually had a Pandora instead of asking someone with a dev board to test my work (Thanks Pickle!!)) I've got my setup running smooth.

WizardStan said:
If you're on linux, install the OpenEmbedded cross compiler for the BeagleBoard is a snap, and can then be used to compile binaries for Pandora. That's what I did anyway, and after a few false starts (which would have been easier if I'd actually had a Pandora instead of asking someone with a dev board to test my work (Thanks Pickle!!)) I've got my setup running smooth.

Thanks! I think your experiments should be written on the wiki (if it ain't already done).
One thing I haven't been able to find is how to get started/how to use OpenVG with the Pandora/BeagleBoard. I've already used OpenVG on a PC through the uncomplete ShivaVG implementation. (I'm actually much crazier about 2D than about 3D ^^)

dflemstr said:
It's optimized for neither mobile devices nor Linux.
Actually, a rumor I heard says that an optimized version and/or driver is very possible, and could be in the works.

dflemstr said:
Those who really care about their data use other encryption alternatives just because the likelihood is smaller that you'll compromise your data if someone finds an exploit in popular encryption software
What about the other argument: "more people use X, so therefore X gets more attention and more fixes"?

javaJake said:
dflemstr said:
Those who really care about their data use other encryption alternatives just because the likelihood is smaller that you'll compromise your data if someone finds an exploit in popular encryption software
What about the other argument: "more people use X, so therefore X gets more attention and more fixes"?
Touché.
Still, I think that there are more people working on the Linux kernel → dm-crypt than there are people working on TrueCrypt, while more people seem to use TrueCrypt, so dm-crypt should still hold the advantage.

Also, you can't have full-disk encryption on the Pandora (dunno, someone might want that) with TrueCrypt (afaik) since the TrueCrypt boot loader only supports the x86 platform. But for all I know, someone might have made a driver + initrd stuff to enable us to use TrueCrypt full-disk encryption anyways.

Back