app to test microphone apart audacity?

relliker

I have yet to succeed at getting some sound from the internal microphone of the pandora. Anyone know of a simple app that uses the internal mic for a test? I have audacity installed but have never managed to get anywhere near capturing a sound. It keeps complaining that it cannot initialise the hardware or that the device is missing. I have tried settings in audacity from other threads to no avail. The microphone just seems to not be available.

Thanks. Tried arecord too with no success. I guess my microphone is a dud. If it's just a broken mic I can easily change it. I hope it's not the input hardware that's bust.

Did you try with the old kernel ?

Don't forget to use alsamixer to enable devices and levels.

so which is the playback device hw:0,0? I tried them all and I always get the error "error opening device" from audacity. I also set the sampling lower to 11k but still no sound. I'm going to cry coz that indicates that the actual input amp is probably bonkers.

I'll try with the old kernel too but I have a feeling that I'll never be able to talk to my Pandora :) Poor Panda, she's deaf.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, she's not ^^.

Yes, hw:0,0 is generally the playback device.

I suggest you to stick with aplay and alsamixer until you succeed to record something. It's basic tools.

well, got some hiss when I put input boost on max but still no sound from the mic. Next I'll give the coil a meter test. I bet it's broken.

I'm also starting to believe that my internal Pandora Mic is broken, I try it to get it working since Hotfix 6, but no sound, no record success at all, everything enabled of course. I wanted to use it in Mumble but every setting I've tried fails, the mic just does absoluteley nothing, which is pretty sad.

Is the Pandora Mic actualy working at all or was it just broken by design? :(

Used to work for me on old firmware, have yet to try on the most recent one.

You haven't disassembled yours to change LCD cable or similar? The mic can get loose or fall out entirely if you don't pay attention, or so I've read.

You haven't disassembled yours to change LCD cable or similar? The mic can get loose or fall out entirely if you don't pay attention, or so I've read.
I once had my Pandora in repair but I'm sure, ED knows what he is doing. :)

I will not open my Pandora again, I'm happy that it just works perfectly now, LCD cable and my nubs. I guess I then have to live with an broken Mic.

That's exactly what happened in fact. I opened the Pandora and found that when I had changed the lcd cable the two microphone pins had broken off the mic and stayed attached to the board. I performed some microsurgery using longer wires and reconnected the mic. It works now.

pandora_surgery.png

Of course this was the first thing I did, followed by any other possible test that came into my mind. But when the Mic can break that easily then I guess it is sureley an Hardware defect. I have to see if I can get a suitable Mic adapter for the headphone line in to use my Headset on the Pandora... mainly for testing of course. ^^

so which is the playback device hw:0,0?.
With the arecord/aplay pair, it looks like you can use the dmix virtual device for output, but *must*

point directly to hw:0,1 for the microphone input (dmix is play only, apparently). I've successfully

now heard microphone audio coming back out the speakers, which gives me confidence in the

hardware.

I have my own port of linphone so I can hack on this ALSA issue and get something which works.

This thread was very helpful, and tells me that I have to get linphone honoring some manual config

so it can get to a useful audio source. Thanks much for the pointers!

Back