Audacity/Recording audio on pandora problem (either with internal sound or USB)

ljones

Hello all :)

Was just wondering if anyone else here has had this problem at all, namely trying to get any sort of audio recording working with audacity on the pandora. To date, I've not had a lot of luck!

First of all, I've been using this ( http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=audacity ) version of audacity to try to record. I've also checked the mixer and under "capture" the circle (to capture from analog audio) is enabled, and so are the switches "Analog Left main mic" and "Analog Right main mic" in Switches.

In audacity I have it configured this way - Alsa, omap3pandora (hw:0,0) for output and omap3pandora (hw:0,1) for input. Channels are set to 1 (mono).

If I try to use these settings and then click on the record button in audacity, I get the following error;

"Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate". (I tried changing the sample rate, but it did not make any difference).

In order to try to work around this problem I also tried a USB sound card. The device (as shown by lsusb on the pandora) displays as ;

"Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0d8c:0102 C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM106 Like Sound device".

The mixer also sees this device, calling it a "USB Sound Device (alsa mixer)". I tried to use audacity (as per the link above) with this sound card, but was once again met with failure. This time though I changed the input and output devices for audacity to "USB Sound Device: Audio (hw:1,0)". Unfortuntly this met with failure also, as audacity (when I tried to record with it) simply hung.

A little more investigation showed that alsamixer didn't see the USB sound card at all, only listing the internal sound in the pandora ("omap3pandora"). Worse still  there were some nasty messages in lsusb;

[307.813659] aufs 3.2-20120109
[310.456909] asoc: interface omap-mcbsp-dai,1 hw params failed
[310.533081] cannot submit datapipe for urb 0, error -28 : not enough bandwidth

The "not enough bandwidth" error was repeated several times in dmesg.

So I'm having trouble in both areas - both with the pandora's internal sound and with an ordinary USB sound card too.  x.x !

The alsa version I'm using on my pandora (according to cat /proc/asound/version) is 1.0.24 . The pandora is running kernel 3.2 on super zaxxon 1.54 . The pandora itself is an old first batch (256MB) version.

I know it appears I've combined or had two problems rather than one here but not sure what to do!

ljones

In audacity I have it configured this way - Alsa, omap3pandora (hw:0,0) for output and omap3pandora (hw:0,1) for input. Channels are set to 1 (mono).
linphone had a problem because the input is *not* mono, it's a single stereo channel (one channel for internal mic, other for the headphone/mic jack).  Linphone would try to open the mic input mono, ALSA would say "no", and nothing worked.  I modified the ALSA config to synthesize two mono input channels named "imic" and "xmic", each which selected the appropriate channel of the underlying stereo device.  Then I had to hand modify the Linphone config file to know about the ALSA source, and I finally got phone calls working.

If you feel able to wrestle with the device at this level, the details are here:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/12572-linphone-audio/

I've flagged in the Pandora 2 forum that the input should be mono at the ALSA level, with the internal mic being the source except when a real headphone/mic jack is inserted.  But for now we have to work around the odd audio

config.

Good luck!

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
I've flagged in the Pandora 2 forum that the input should be mono at the ALSA level, with the internal mic being the source except when a real headphone/mic jack is inserted. But for now we have to work around the odd audio config.
Wouldn't that be a default configuration issue rather than a hardware issue - i.e. something that can be fixed in the OS?

- Neelix

Hello all :)

Was just wondering if anyone else here has had this problem at all, namely trying to get any sort of audio recording working with audacity on the pandora. To date, I've not had a lot of luck!

First of all, I've been using this ( http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=audacity ) version of audacity to try to record. I've also checked the mixer and under "capture" the circle (to capture from analog audio) is enabled, and so are the switches "Analog Left main mic" and "Analog Right main mic" in Switches.

If I try to use these settings and then click on the record button in audacity, I get the following error;

"Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate". (I tried changing the sample rate, but it did not make any difference).

In order to try to work around this problem I also tried a USB sound card. The device (as shown by lsusb on the pandora) displays as ;

"Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0d8c:0102 C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM106 Like Sound device".

The mixer also sees this device, calling it a "USB Sound Device (alsa mixer)". I tried to use audacity (as per the link above) with this sound card, but was once again met with failure. This time though I changed the input and output devices for audacity to "USB Sound Device: Audio (hw:1,0)". Unfortuntly this met with failure also, as audacity (when I tried to record with it) simply hung.

A little more investigation showed that alsamixer didn't see the USB sound card at all, only listing the internal sound in the pandora ("omap3pandora"). Worse still  there were some nasty messages in lsusb;

[307.813659] aufs 3.2-20120109
[310.456909] asoc: interface omap-mcbsp-dai,1 hw params failed
[310.533081] cannot submit datapipe for urb 0, error -28 : not enough bandwidth

The "not enough bandwidth" error was repeated several times in dmesg.

So I'm having trouble in both areas - both with the pandora's internal sound and with an ordinary USB sound card too.  x.x !

The alsa version I'm using on my pandora (according to cat /proc/asound/version) is 1.0.24 . The pandora is running kernel 3.2 on super zaxxon 1.54 . The pandora itself is an old first batch (256MB) version.

I know it appears I've combined or had two problems rather than one here but not sure what to do!

ljones
I'm facing exactly this same problem.

The OpenPandora I'm using is one of the new 1GHz units.

The alsa.conf trick from @vandyswa didn't work with the audacity application.

I'd appreciate if anyone guide me to some useful test (not an useful application) to test this hardware feature (internal mic). There are few features with missing tests and any help would be great.

Try with my port of MHWaveEdit http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=mhwaveedit

With the internal mic is tested and working, but don't have an USB sound card (or mic) to test, so don't know for sure if it work...but you can test.
PS.: This trick didn't work. "Failed to open device"

Not even runnning the below command as root works.

gst-launch alsasrc ! audioconvert ! vorbisenc ! oggmux ! filesink location=tmp.oog

The error is:

Code:
ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAlsaSrc:alsasrc0: Could not open audio device for recording.

linphone had a problem because the input is *not* mono, it's a single stereo channel (one channel for internal mic, other for the headphone/mic jack).  Linphone would try to open the mic input mono, ALSA would say "no", and nothing worked.  I modified the ALSA config to synthesize two mono input channels named "imic" and "xmic", each which selected the appropriate channel of the underlying stereo device.  Then I had to hand modify the Linphone config file to know about the ALSA source, and I finally got phone calls working.

If you feel able to wrestle with the device at this level, the details are here:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/12572-linphone-audio/

I've flagged in the Pandora 2 forum that the input should be mono at the ALSA level, with the internal mic being the source except when a real headphone/mic jack is inserted.  But for now we have to work around the odd audio

config.

Good luck!

Andy
If I use this Alsa settings and try the gst-launch command:

gst-launch alsasrc device=imic ! audioconvert ! vorbisenc ! oggmux ! filesink location=tmp.ogg

The error changes to:

Could not get /set settings from/on resource.

I think I'm out of options to test right now. So I'll need to wait for someone with more experience to teach me how to get the work done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back