Apple II Emulator

I just loaded the latest build of Linapple on my Panadora, along with the 1.52 Super Zaxxon update.  I have the same issue with Conan.  The character won't move unless you press B while moving the nub.

Sorry - have been traveling a lot for work and haven't had a chance to look into this. I'll see what is up, and get back to you. Thanks!

I just got my Pandora. Since so many people talked about rescue raiders, I might ask for help here.

I can hardly get my helicopter to the top, esp. when flying forward. It is a problem is the left nub?

Yeah - it's the actual nubs themselves. Since they have a circular ring around them, and the old apple joysticks had a "box" around it. On the Apple, you could literally corner the joystick, whereas this doesnt happen on the Pandora. When running the XPS Diagnostics, you can get the full lateral range of motion on the Joystics (0-255) in each directlon (X & Y), but when you go to the corners you get (40,40 - 40,220 - 220,40 - 220,220). I am looking into a way to add an artificial way to implement this... maybe force a min,max so anything over A becomes 225 and anything under B becomes a 0 where A&B could be set in the ini file (like the rest of the controls) on a game by game basis. I could also just use the min/max to scale the input so it stays contiguous without an "jumps". I think the latter makes more sense...

If anyone has any other ideas, I am all ears :)

That being said, even with this restriction for Rescue Raiders, i was able to complete the first 3 levels with ease. :)

Love that game!

-Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a look at the code and found the relevant statement in Joystick.cpp

xpos[0] = (SDL_JoystickGetAxis(joy1, 0)-joysubx[0]) >> joyshrx[0];

I suggest that we can process xpos[0] further by 

xpos[0] = (xpos[0] >> 1) -128

Then use an if statement to put all negative to 0

Last edited by a moderator:
The joystick fix sounds promising - I hope it pans out.

I purchased my Pandora purely for the Apple II emulation - and mainly to play Rescue Raiders (never gets boring).

I have to admit the nub diagonal-movement issue did result in my Pandora being shelved, but if this issue is resolved I'll being blowing the dust off and firing her back up again (and I reckon I'll get one of the new TV-Out cables to play on the big screen).

More Rescue Raiders and hopefully Wings of Fury & Captain Goodnight too!

Cheers

I'm back from vacation and have access to my dev platform again - will look into this and get a fix up asap. Sorry for the delay!

I have been getting crushed at work - so, work on this has stalled. I'll try and make some updates soon.

Persistence pays off - I'm looking at it now - hopefully, I'll have something up soon. Sorry for the massive delay, but to say I have been busy is an understatement... working 80+ hours a week and raising a (now) 3 year old... not much time for anything these days :)

Up on the repo!

I just played through the first level of Rescue Raiders, and it is soooooo much better now! I ended up going with a very simple solution since the problem was really with cornering (i.e. literally a mechanical difference between pandora and apple ][ joysticks):

if ((xpos[1] < 60) && (ypos[1] < 60)){ xpos[1] = 0; ypos[1] = 0;}
      if ((xpos[1] > 180) && (ypos[1] > 180)){ xpos[1] = 255; ypos[1] = 255;}
      if ((xpos[1] < 60) && (ypos[1] > 180)){ xpos[1] = 0; ypos[1] = 255;}
      if ((xpos[1] > 180) && (ypos[1] < 60)){ xpos[1] = 255; ypos[1] = 0;}
I am adding the ability to disable this (enabled by default) in the config file in case it causes unintended behavior in other games. :)

-Jerry

And updated with defaults and disk-specific values, editable in linapple.conf:

For OpenPandora linapple version 1.7.0.0:
  The "cornering" threshold defaults AND Disk specific values now editable in linapple.conf
  If you are having issues with this, delete your linapple.conf for a new one :)
  or add these lines to yours:
    Joy 0 X Min        =    60
    Joy 0 X Max        =    196
    Joy 0 Y Min        =    60
    Joy 0 Y Max        =    196
    Joy 1 X Min        =    60
    Joy 1 X Max        =    196
    Joy 1 Y Min        =    60
    Joy 1 Y Max        =    196

Yes indeed a big improvement.

Can now 'take-off' in Wings-of-Fury.

I think I need to tweak some of the new calibration settings to get things just right (esp. for WOF).

Rescue Raiders just got that much better on the Pandora!

Good darts :)

Awesome! If you figure out good settings for WoF (or other games!), post them here, and I will add them as "default" in future versions of the emulator config file :)

Back