[Applimulator ;)] apkenv + apkenv.ui

For your info Applimulator is reviewed in the new Pandoralive.info blog !

http://www.pandoralive.info/?p=56

teaser2.png

thanks! i really like the style of the blog. thanks for featuring "me" :)

Have you tried this with Skype?
Skype, Netflix and Amazon Kindle Reader would be my top choices in applications to try with this. I would just wipe my Android SD cards if these worked.

There's a new Humble Bundle for Android 5.  Would any of the included games be viable with apkenv?

Dungeon Defenders

Super Hexagon

Beat Hazard Ultra

Dynamite Jack

Solar 2

NightSky HD

didnt buy the humble bundle (yet) so cant tell. i always need to look into the apks to find out.

didnt buy the humble bundle (yet) so cant tell. i always need to look into the apks to find out.
Any progress on Unity player or Skype ? :)

thanks! i really like the style of the blog. thanks for featuring "me" :)
You are welcome ! I thought apkenv was significant enough to start talking about this among the first articles! I hope it encourages you to continue working on it!!

Any significant update to what you can run with apkenv will be featured again.

uh, sorry for not replying earlier. seems i dont get any notifications about posts in thread i've subscribed.

Bad Piggies is made with Unity (article) and as i still did not get unity working :( , no go. sorry.

I tried Super Hexagon and Night Sky from the last HumbleBundle. Both didn't work. in the log i see a Segmentation fault. Did anyone could run these games?

You cannot just put any apk in there and hope it runs.

You need to write a support module for every game.

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot just put any apk in there and hope it runs.
mmh, I think i can do this ;) , if it not runs then it didn't run. But i can try. ;)

Btw. is there a little documentation how to right support modules. How deep i have to be java? Im not bad at c\c++, but never used java.
not much need for java, because the idea is to circumvent the whole java and replace it with native code. i've already written a bit of instructions in one of my previous posts, see here:  http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11736-applimulator-apkenv-apkenvui/?p=218482

if you need further help, feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could I request the Humble Bundle's Plants vs Zombies if you're still doing work on this?

Awww, shame. Thanks for trying though.

I can't remember if this has been asked before, but why do "modules" need writing for each apk? As opposed to just adding to a general API as you find an APK that needs it?

Could I request the Humble Bundle's Plants vs Zombies if you're still doing work on this?
Can any of the new Humble Mobile Bundle games be added to apkenv?

Contre Jour

Anomaly Korea

Plants vs Zombies

Metal Slug 3

The Room

Bladeslinger

Funky Smugglers

Raiden Legacy

Another World

I can't remember if this has been asked before, but why do "modules" need writing for each apk? As opposed to just adding to a general API as you find an APK that needs it?
I was kinda wondering the same thing.

@sepp256 @Loonie The idea is that most serious Android games are written predominantly in C/C++, the Android OS only runs Java applications, but what most games do (on the Java side) is call into the C/C++ code. If the game does absolutely everything in the C/C++ side (and the Java side does little more than call a native update function once per frame), then getting it working in apkenv is going to be relatively easy. However, there are many reasons why developers call back into the Java code from their C/C++ code, for example:

- To call library functions that only exist in Java (getting information about the device perhaps)

- To call functions from a third party SDK, where said SDK only exists for Java (loads of examples of this, like Scoreloop, Flurry, luckily these two specific examples can mainly be stubbed out)

- To avoid having to write lots of native code (for example: from Java it is pretty easy to download a file and convert it to a .PNG, it would be a lot more work from C/C++ so a developer may write a 'DownloadAndConvert' Java function, which subsequently would need to be added to an apkenv module)

As it is down to each developer to choose what functions to write in Java, there isn't a simple 'one API fits all' that can be implemented into a module and make all games work. There will probably be a lot of similar things being done on the Java, but even if it is identical, the function name/parameters may well be different, so some amount of work is still required.

Disclaimer, I haven't look into apkenv in any real detail at all, I am speaking more from having experience writing Android games that bridge between Java/C/C++.

Back