Aquaria, Gish, Lugaru Hd, And Penumbra Are Now Open Source!

Another thing to consider, and I'm not calling anyone out on this, is indie games seem to say they need more raw power to run than they really do. I think it's kinda like being rated R, some movies just put an R on so people will think it's scary or a more action packed movie where it could be rated PG-13. Indie games do the same things with system requirements, people see low requirements and think 'my computer 10 years ago could play this, must not be any good'.

I don't know if you could cut an indie games requirements in half but they are a lot lower than what they say, sometimes that is.

Anyone get Aquaria to compile yet? I'm stuck on FTGL currently, trying to set up a code::blocks project.

WizardStan said:
I can't get it to compile yet because it casts pointers to ints to pass them around and 64 bit pointers don't fit into 32 bit ints.
Not that we need it to be 64 bit on the Pandora. Anyway, that's what intptr_t is for, defined in stdint.h. FWIW, I'd particularly like Gish and Aquaria on the Pandora - Aquaria is designed as a two analog stick game.

Last edited by a moderator:
fearofshorts said:
I've actually seen a senior forum member having to actually document his eating of his hat (they take jokes to the extreme over there). The poor bastard spent ages looking for one that wouldn't kill him when he ate it.
In the end he ate a fruit-hat. Still a couple of kilos of fruit though.

I too have seen that. It looked silly! I think I'd prefer a cotton fabric all-around cap (not sure what they're called), cut into small pieces and boiled lengthily (preferably in stock, maybe with some potatoes).

I will do this. It will be worth it.

skeezix said:
He actually asked 'who will port them' (not how well they run; as I always say you can run whatever you want on a vic-20 at .0001fps :)

More to point --

The question should be "who will port them, or should I try to learn how to do it myself?" Come on folks, take the dive ;)

jeff
I remember some people playing quake on a 486dx computer. They submerged the whole motherboard in cooking oil and overclocked it to something pretty sick.

Now who wants to be the first to do that with their Pandora?

Well, if you find one of the Pandora n00bs who just discovered what the internet is really for it might already be coated in cooking oil...

I'm a horrible person....

Kicker said:
I've been playing Aquaria a lot lately. It's a great game! But if you're able to get it running full speed on the Pandora, I will buy a hat for the special purpose of eating it.
Wow, that sounds like a challenge ;-) I'm not a first class programmer nor C/C++ master, but now I want to try. I'll look for sources immediately after return from hospital :-/ (just some infusion for tinnitus cure, nothing serious, but internet on GPRS really sucks).

Not only that, but the PSP source could be useful seeing as the Pandora iirc prefers 512X512 or less too ;)

Actually, considering all the hassles with the PSP the author talked about, it should be a lot easier to work with the Pandora. Just consider what he had to work with and compare:
For those unfamiliar with the PSP's internals, it has:

* a MIPS-based CPU running at a user-selectable speed of up to 333 MHz;
* 24MB of system RAM available to user programs, increased to 52MB on the PSP-2000 "Slim" and PSP-3000 "Brite" models;
* 2MB of graphics RAM;
* a simple (shaderless) graphics processor;
* 8 channels of stereo audio;
* a secondary CPU used for video and audio decoding;
* and a Memory Stick for data storage.

And that's it, more or less. No virtual memory, no I/O caching, no many things taken for granted on a PC.

Aquaria on PSP, that is some achievement.

Craig or ED, send that man a Pandora.

(After the first 4000 of course)

Mr Loon said:

Or you could send me and Mr.Confuzed ours and we'll just finish it up. :p

Mr Loon said:

lol I'm sure that's your catch phrase :)

Very interesting read on the porting process. It sounds like some of the work that had to be done won't be necessary for a Pandora port, while other modifications will be of benefit. On the same token, it also sounds like it still needs a lot of optimization, so hopefully these will be done in patches that can be applied to mainline instead of only to the PSP branch.

WizardStan said:
Or you could send me and Mr.Confuzed ours and we'll just finish it up. :p
Mine's on a boat, but may have nub issues. But send that guy a Pandora anyway; he's more on Exophase's level than mine.

Mr.Confuzed said:
Mine's on a boat, but may have nub issues. But send that guy a Pandora anyway; he's more on Exophase's level than mine.

Thanks, but I don't think I could compare with Andrew Church, he's pretty elite.

Back