Are The Keys (buttons) Rubber Of Plastic?

lobski

It was probably answered, but I can't seem to find it. I was a little disappointed to find out that the buttons (Not the actual key you press) be using rubber instead of a real tactil-feedback button.

But what exactly are keys made out of? I dearly hope it's plastic and not rubber as it makes it impossible to type!

Correct me if i am wrong. but AFAIK the keys are made out of plastic.
It's true that there is the rubber mat below but this should work and thats the most important thing

Anyway if you don't like it, you can easily connect a USB Keyboard.

From my opinion it is the best solution. just think about it, if they would have used just a cheap plastic mat, like the once they use in mobile phones... (anybody remembers ZX81 ??? :lol: )

Definately plastic buttons that depress a rubber membrane making contact with the pcb to complete the circuit. Think typical Cell Phone keypad.

The letters are still painted on in gold leaf by angels though right?

mfk said:
Keys are rubber with hardened top surface.
the powers that be have spoken! so the mat is all one peice with hardened rubber plastic on top.... I guess that works no loosing the buttons when opening it up for hacks....

also does this mean that the keys cannot be switched around if remapped? I assume it does

Last edited by a moderator:
cb88 said:
mfk said:
Keys are rubber with hardened top surface.
also does this mean that the keys cannot be switched around if remapped? I assume it does

Unless you are not one of the most crazy modders we have seen here who attempts to cut the membrane to switch the buttons around, yes it does. B)

lobski said:
It was probably answered, but I can't seem to find it. I was a little disappointed to find out that the buttons (Not the actual key you press) be using rubber instead of a real tactil-feedback button.
What? What are you trying to say? The buttons will have tactile feedback. :huh:

mfk said:
Unless you are not one of the most crazy modders we have seen here who attempts to cut the membrane to switch the buttons around, yes it does. B)
Perhaps OpenPandora can sell blank keypad templates? That would be a nice solution, and somewhat "1337".

mindlord said:
mfk said:
Perhaps OpenPandora can sell blank keypad templates? That would be a nice solution, and somewhat "1337".

It's possible. Maybe we can sell blank key mat as an extra part in the future. So you can open and change the default mat with blank one. ;)

Hmm. I wasn't even really following this thread because I assumed the answer was obviously plastic buttons on a rubber membrane.

Can you shed some more light on what the keys will actually be like? Is there another device or controller that has something similar? Will these rubber buttons also be on the game controls?

thanks, a.

Hmm.. the rubber mat render in the blog post was very misleading then. I'd have sworn, they would be separate, oh well..

aliking said:
Can you shed some more light on what the keys will actually be like?
Problem is no one here has ever actually used an assembled Pandora, since one doesn't exist yet.

If Craig or perhaps ED stop by, maybe they'd have more exact info.

Prophet said:
aliking said:
Can you shed some more light on what the keys will actually be like?
Problem is no one here has ever actually used an assembled Pandora, since one doesn't exist yet.

If Craig or perhaps ED stop by, maybe they'd have more exact info.

I meant more like - what other devices have a keyboard like this so that we could get an idea. ZX Spectrum? Or are the keys hardened to such a degree that they feel like plastic?

mfk said:
mindlord said:
mfk said:
Perhaps OpenPandora can sell blank keypad templates? That would be a nice solution, and somewhat "1337".It's possible. Maybe we can sell blank key mat as an extra part in the future. So you can open and change the default mat with blank one. ;)
Hmmm, that could be pretty cool - totally minimalist! B)

Thanks for the update mfk.

atomicthumbs said:
lobski said:

Not as he (and me) was hoping :p

Unfortunately, they will not feel like normal cellphone keypads aswell :p since cellphones use bended metal instead of rubber..
I'm sure i will miss these guys: Here

Anyway, most of computer keyboards have rubber mats instead of mechanical buttons :p
If the Pandora buttons don't get stuck when i press them on a corner, they are fine to me..

nikkopt said:
atomicthumbs said:
lobski said:

Not as he (and me) was hoping :p

Unfortunately, they will not feel like normal cellphone keypads aswell :p since cellphones use bended metal instead of rubber..
I'm sure i will miss this guys: Here

Anyway, most of computer keyboards have rubber mats instead of mechanical buttons :p
If the Pandora buttons don't get stuck when i press them on a corner, they are fine to me..

It's better utility to make the keyboard buttons so that they can function and feel like extra gaming buttons, since we didn't get a 6 button layout for the gaming controls.

-God Ginrai

that's also true.. but i'm guessing that lots of people will use the keyboard intensively, to write :p

Back