My Keys Are Starting To Wear Off .. Already?!

mali said:
torpor said:
Seriously though, maybe its body chemistry or something, too much battery acid in my diet ..
This is actually very possible. I can't use cheap wrist watches, as the metal corrodes instantly.
I really have the problem, that Computer Magazines loose their paint when I hold the pages long enough (mostly onto the high glare cover). Result is that I have the paint onto my fingers and the fingerprint onto the Magazine :D
I hope the Pandora is acid-sweat resist. ^^"

Last edited by a moderator:
sverm said:
Wouldn't it be neat if the Pandora 2 had dual touch screens with a reconfigurable keyboard on the bottom multi-touch screen? That would solve a lot of arguments about where the keys are. Some coders like it one way, some e-mailers and facebookers like it another way, Turkish, English, Germans and French all want it differently. Toss in some lefties, righties... I'm a lefty, and I think the Shift-Drag is going to have to be changed to Alt-Drag to move my Windows around. The shift key is on the wrong side of the keyboard to be to drag a Window with the stylus while holding down shift.

Touchscreens are terrible for typing. Especially lots of typing when you want to eventually touchtype. I've been able to touchtype on my oqo and n810, I expect to be able to touchtype on my Pandora once I get used to it. Touchscreens are pretty, but they are not the be-all end-all of input. Despite what Apple tries to tell us.

fusion_power said:
B-Key was used a little bit to heavy "sideways" with the thumb so even with short nails it got damaged (over 2 Years). Stick weared off because of heavy usage. :D

And because you are fusion powered. Admit it. Normally powered non-superbeings couldn't make a scratch in a hard plastic button like that with their fingernails. ;)

Edit: Spelling and jab at Fusion_Power. =D

sverm said:
Wouldn't it be neat if the Pandora 2 had dual touch screens with a reconfigurable keyboard on the bottom multi-touch screen?
No. If I wanted something other than a physical keyboard, I wouldn't have gotten the Pandora. I suspect the same is true for many others.

The Pandora 2 must have this technology built in, would solve EVERY language/layout problems

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

I wish :lol:

mvickers03 said:
The Pandora 2 must have this technology built in, would solve EVERY language/layout problems

Expensive! Seriously, though...

If it used flexible display technology, you could just put it right under the keymat (maybe with some backlighting?).

Alerino said:
please, no Pandora 2 talk

Oh yeah, sorry haha. They do look cool though. I first heard of them about 4 years ago, they came around like the Pandora in a way, you had to pre order them and there were a limited amaount of the first batch. Very cool concept

mali said:
torpor said:
Seriously though, maybe its body chemistry or something, too much battery acid in my diet ..
This is actually very possible. I can't use cheap wrist watches, as the metal corrodes instantly.

Ye my fingers react with my guitar strings to leave scummy filth on my fretboard really rapidly :( And I'm allergic to certain brands.

mvickers03 said:

Exactly what I thought when i read the comments above, was gonna gimp up a pandora/optimus concoction together :)

That really sounds weird - using my prototype for 5 months yet - not a single scratch, all keys still shiny.
And I typed a lot of those scripts you have in the OS on my Pandora :eek:

twent4 said:
mvickers03 said:

Exactly what I thought when i read the comments above, was gonna gimp up a pandora/optimus concoction together :)

Was, why not still do it

The thread title almost gave me palpitations, I had visions of the keys actually coming off.

It's an Epoxy coating isn't it? Or did I dream that? Might be an idea for them to add a pinch more hardener to future batches, if it doesn't affect adhesion to the mat.

You could try a coating of clear nail varnish to the affected keys, though not being in posession of any myself I can't say if it's suitable for application to epoxy....

there is a chance that the epoxy wasn't properly mixed, or got contaminated (hopefully only for a few keymats)

mvickers03 said:
Alerino said:
please, no Pandora 2 talk

Oh yeah, sorry haha. They do look cool though. I first heard of them about 4 years ago, they came around like the Pandora in a way, you had to pre order them and there were a limited amaount of the first batch. Very cool concept

I was originally planning to buy one. They said it would cost as much as "one of the more expensive phones", which was anywhere from $400-$700. However, when they finally announced that it was going to be upwards of 1k, I gave up on it. It's a nice concept, but not worth that much.

-God Ginrai

twent4 said:
mvickers03 said:

Haha OMG how amazing would that be, would turn eyes no matter what. saying that a lot of people I have showen the Pandora to have been amazed, even after I chewed there ear of about it for a year or two

God Ginrai said:
I was originally planning to buy one. They said it would cost as much as "one of the more expensive phones", which was anywhere from $400-$700. However, when they finally announced that it was going to be upwards of 1k, I gave up on it. It's a nice concept, but not worth that much.

-God Ginrai

Yeah I had a close eye on it too. I would pay about £300-£400 absolute tops...

emcp said:
twent4 said:
mvickers03 said:

Was, why not still do it

My excuse will now be "someone linked to it" rather than "i really suck at gimp".
Also, anyone notice the $2400 price tag?! It was $1500 when it came out iirc.

EDIT: shoulda read the bottom of the post above mine first, thought it was a fancy sig.

First get a manicure, wear marigold gloves and spray your fingers with pore blocking deoderant while using the Pandora. Long term, remember to bite your nails down to the quick, and soak your fingers in surgical spirit every night while sleeping.

Okay, I'm not going to bother further with this - I chalk it up to my rough fingers and alien-like body chemistry .. if there is a mod, please delete this thread, we don't need people freaking out ..

In a serious effort to help, there are clear acrylic nail polishes. If your body chemistry or fingers are really so rough as to wear off the keys, you may find a very thin coat of such a nail polish helpful. You may need to reapply every few months though, to keep the shine going.

Well my keys are fine, but the paint is coming off my d-pad already - only played about 5 hours of mario and some GBA so far.

Only cosmetic, and doesn't bother me too much, but does show that the paint isn't as hard wearing as promised.

Back