ARM Cortex A73 and Mali G71 Coming next year in products

I wouldn't say that for sure, look at the CPU's predecessor in design, the Cortex-A17. That was in the Rockchip RK3288 which was in the GPD XD. I doubt that had a crazy high MOQ.

And the A72 cores are in the Rockchip RK3399 which is what's being said to be going in the GPD XD 2.

How about Marvell? I note today that they're sending out samples of their new A72 chips that include SATA and USB3.0, and they've apparently licensed the A73 design. No real idea what Linux support is like, but they made the Sheevaplug devices which were neat little Linux runners back in the day I thought.

Edit: Since the reported specs I've seen don't include a GPU, and the Sheevaplug et all all ran headless, I guess these are also missing a GPU. Getting a standalone mobile GPU to plug into it is probably even harder than getting hold of a half decent SoC.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be hard getting Rockchips... but hardware documentation and Linux support probably wouldn't be easy.

We recently brought up an rk3368 using this: https://github.com/geekboxzone/lollipop_kernel - I don't remember there being any GPL-breaching blobs or unusual difficulties.

Though the a53@1.5ghz is probably a regression on the omap5, it does have 8 of them, and though the G6110 GPU is one of the smaller ones we offer, it should still be a nice step up (maybe 2x the fill rate?) of the omap5, on top of supporting all the new fancy OpenGL|ES3.1 and vulkan APIs.

Of course, I could never recommend any of the mali devices :) Though I'm sure they're fine..

THE SOC DRAGON! CHASE THE SOC DRAGON!!!

tumblr_n8w08gpMY21t4sdlso1_500.gif

More seriously, I'm hoping the Pyra will be able to find an updated SOC 12 months after the launch.. It's strange to know the business community is unable to supply SOC/Supported drivers and documentation to EvilDragon after all of this time... hopefully they just need to see the market value.

I've been annoyed at Samsung for denying the Exynos to ED years ago.

x86

- It can be obtained is smaller quantity
- It is well documented
- It is driver supported

x86

- It can be obtained is smaller quantity
- It is well documented
- It is driver supported
Since Intel has totally abandoned their Atom line, do they have something else that would be as efficient on power or could fit on the CPU board slated in the future?

Since Intel has totally abandoned their Atom line, do they have something else that would be as efficient on power or could fit on the CPU board slated in the future?

What about AMD ?
They are releasing their 14nm flagman this fall,
In the spring/summer 2017 maybe they will release a low powered CPU for mobile devices ?

Intel is known for their openness, but AMD in the mobile market for native Linux support is a big unknown.
They've recently made big noise about being open for their GPU stuff, so I would hope this will continue onto their new zen CPUs. I know they've already started submitting code into the linux kernel for both polaris GPU and zen CPU support, but that doesn't really help if you want the bios/bootloader equivalent code too, as that has been traditionally the 'closed' part of x86 systems.

Though it's rare that a single microarchitecture can go 'high end' desktop all the way down to the power budget available in the pyra though....

They usually use reference designs with Android, as most other manufacturers using Rockchips.

Intel is known for their openness, but AMD in the mobile market for native Linux support is a big unknown.

The openness of both Intel and AMD is quite limited by the fact that they need a blob of proprietary software to boot, and apparently on chips produced after 2008 (intel) or 2013 (AMD) exchanging it with free software is quite problematic: https://libreboot.org/faq/#intel and https://libreboot.org/faq/#amd
[doublepost=1464937938,1464937460][/doublepost]
It shouldn't be hard getting Rockchips... but hardware documentation and Linux support probably wouldn't be easy.

Actually, when looking for a specific Rockchip SoC (I've forgotten which one) I've found that there seems to be quite a good support in mainline at least for some of them, and that they are actually doing some of the upstreaming work themselves. Problem is that finding documentation on this support isn't as easy as it is for allwinner SoCs, where the sunxi project have been spoiling us with lots of well organized information.

Without having done too much looking into the AllWinner GPL violations.

I think we should be pragmatic. Okay, we may not be their biggest potential customer, but just like with Western companies who (okay this is cynical) do things like environmental measures and recycling, not because it helps their margins, far from it, but it allows them to sell to their respective audience. We should discuss and trade with people, but equally make clear what our values are, and offer assistance in helping them achieve it.

There too are plenty of Western companies who violate software license agreements I am sure, so the case has to be made as to why it is in everyone's advantage to conform.

THE SOC DRAGON! CHASE THE SOC DRAGON!!!

tumblr_n8w08gpMY21t4sdlso1_500.gif

More seriously, I'm hoping the Pyra will be able to find an updated SOC 12 months after the launch.. It's strange to know the business community is unable to supply SOC/Supported drivers and documentation to EvilDragon after all of this time... hopefully they just need to see the market value.

I've been annoyed at Samsung for denying the Exynos to ED years ago.

...Don't you need to be on the foils to chase the dragon?
Thought that term only applied to foil burners.

Funny gif anyway, bad habit though

Back