Ascii3d

'Gruso' said:
Good progress! I was really keen to see it in action, but it won't run. XP error message:

"The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."
Oy. I hate that error message. It's generally Windows complaining about not having the requisite runtime libraries. Hmm...

Try installing this - it's the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable. It's the runtime libraries for VC2008, which is what I'm using for development. I won't guarantee that this will get it to work, but it's worth a try. I think I read somewhere that there's a .dll or something that I can package with the executable to get rid of these errors, but I don't remember which. I'll try to dig it up for the next release.

CODE
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the support guys. :D

I'm probably going to try to make the move from SDL to OpenGL in the next few days. If I'm lucky, it won't take terribly long, but it could take up to a week. (Lots of classwork to do also.) Switching to OpenGL will speed things up, and allow me to play around a bit with making things look prettier.

Have you thought any more about making a game with this?

'Xian Long' said:
'fischju2000' said:
Works fine here in Windows 7, and looks great!

are you being serious or sarcastic?
What? I'm on Windows 7, and didn't have any trouble just running it, and it looks good so far.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do with it yet. There's still a LOT of work to do on the engine itself - the graphics can be enhanced, the map format is awful and doesn't support multi-level maps, etc. I'm either going to make a game using it, or release it as a well-developed and well-documented engine so other people can make stuff. Maybe I'll add in a scripting engine so people can easily write small campaigns on top of a basic roguetype that I write for the engine. We'll see.

Another update - I started implementing rendering using OpenGL. It looks significantly better, and easily reaches a stable 60fps. I'll be putting up a new blog post with some information and pictures in a few hours, if anyone wants to see how it looks now (much more like Squidi's pictures, if you've ever seen those).

Back