Sandora, a Falling Sand Game

WaveHack

Still Fresh
Website
mineth.net
I'm working on a little game for the Pandora called Sandora! (Cheesy, I know). It's basically a C port of SDL Sand, which is a Falling Sand Game!

A FSG is a sandbox game where you have a 2d canvas (usually the whole screen) and you draw certain types of particles on the screen (walls, water, sand, salt, oil, fire, etc) which fall down (or float up) and interact with other particles. There isn't any point in it, other than being a fun and relaxing casual sandbox game!

Here's a photo of it running on my Pandora:

33wm6oo.png

I'm posting this here in the Development section and not in software release, because I'm still working on the game. It compiles and executes on the Pandora, but that's basically it. Performance is very poor, which I am hoping to fix in order to release it on the file archive. I'm 'releasing' the source early, because I hope I can get some input and feedback from the community in how to increase performance (or have ideas gameplay-wise, although performance is currently top priority in order to make it playable). My C isn't really that top-notch, so I'm more than willing to learn.

Download link: Clicky

This only contains the source code, and not an executable .pnd you can throw and play on your Pandora. Compiling instructions are included (which comes down on simply typing 'make', really). The source requires you to build it on your Pandora itself (native development), but can easily adjusted for cross-compiling on your PC with some adjustments. It also comes with a different makefile to use on Windows. Please see install.txt for more details.

Edit: You can find the new download links of the alpha version and all subsequent releases on the SourceForge project page, under files. The official page for Sandora is now located on my website at http://mineth.net/projects/sandora/. Please follow my blog (or the SF tracker) for release updates and let's keep development discussion in this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks pretty cool. I can't wait to try it out.

Nice, but I think it's time we see some 3D sand-games coming B)

How exactly would you make a proper playable sand game in 3D? :blink: Especially using a simple stylus on the Pandora. I think the whole concept of it being simple is being on a 2D canvas, instead of juggling in yet another dimension. I believe it can work, though, but it would be a bit too overkill for the Pandora.

In any case, I added a SF.net project page and made an official page for it on my website with info. See my opening post above for links. But first I need to go do some optimization routines through the code. Due the Pandora's high DPI (which makes it hard to see small pixels), I reduced the playfield size and doubled the graphics, and it's actually playable now. I might release a PND early once I worked away some nasty segfaults when drawing close to the edge. :)

x10oqx.jpg

How exactly would you make a proper playable sand game in 3D? :blink: Especially using a simple stylus on the Pandora. I think the whole concept of it being simple is being on a 2D canvas, instead of juggling in yet another dimension. I believe it can work, though, but it would be a bit too overkill for the Pandora.

In any case, I added a SF.net project page and made an official page for it on my website with info. See my opening post above for links. But first I need to go do some optimization routines through the code. Due the Pandora's high DPI (which makes it hard to see small pixels), I reduced the playfield size and doubled the graphics, and it's actually playable now. I might release a PND early once I worked away some nasty segfaults when drawing close to the edge. :)

x10oqx.jpg
OMG Do want!

Someone should also port this: http://www.piettes.com/fallingsandgame/download.html

It has different downloadable rulesets!

Very very impressive and looks thoroughly enjoyable.

Can't wait to fire it up.

Can't wait to have a Pandora so that I can fire it up I mean.

First priority is to work away segfaults ( :unsure: ) and add a very basic GUI and/or keyboard layout for particle selection. After that I'll package up and release a PND.

After that I'm planning to add more types of particles from other sand games, mostly involving fire. Think C4, gunpowder, etc. :lol:

PND is available! Although it's on the beta-testing-forum atm, you can grab it through here:

edit: There's now a topic in the Beta testing boards going on about Sandora. Please use that topic for futher discussion:

Requesting topic lock.

Back