Falling Sand

Try filling the screen with wall, and draw little transport tunnels for the elements to move through, it looks brilliant when you have all sorts of different networks going - try to get sand flowing on the right and oil flowing on the left using tunnels and the element sources at the top, making sure they don't get contaminated with one another - there's a challenge for you :p

I've loaded the Science Compilation physics, and it's awesome. You can put plants in water and make a Sun, and then they grow.

Only problem with it is that water always ends up at the top :p

Thank you for the nice screenshots Vynx. Uploaded the first one to use as screenshot in the archive. The third one looked cool to :).

I've been working on generalising the particle logic and it's going quite well, at first I got a speed just cleaning up the code abit , then it went down a good amount when I rewrote some of it to make it simpler and lastly up again after inlining some key functions. I haven't compared the speed directly to v0.2 and it was a bit of a roller coaster, but I think it's a minor speed increase. Which is nice because that wasn't what I expected :).

Anyway I still haven't decided how to do reactions between particles properly (reactions in a very broad sense, including sinking and floating) and right now it's in a transitional stage where some stuff is still hardcoded.

There are some sideeffects to behavior as well, particles sink in other elements better (they don't form spikes) but it also does some wierd things like lighter particles climbs up slopes of heavier particles.

Well, this is the fun part of the project, so I'll be diving back in now :D.

Zombies and slugs really slow down the game, and I always saw them as distractions to the experience than fun.

Really? I always enjoyed throwing the zombies around, trapping them in walls, and "drowning" them in water and oil and stuff. I once had a bunch of spouts in a cave, and above the cave had a zombie in a much smaller cave, and I watched it inadvertantly dig itself out into the bigger cave and drown. :p (well, drown isn't a good word... 'get stuck in the water' is more proper).

Lighting them on fire in huge pools of oil is fun too. ;)

I just only wish the zombies had more intellegent AI, instead of just randomly flailing their limbs around. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I also downloaded from Sourceforge last night and had a play around. It's going to be identical to hammys, but it's there anyway.

http://www.c5software.co.uk/news.asp#19

I noticed the problems with partical type interaction, I am guessing that the original source isn't finished.

What would be really cool is if we could build a real game around this. I was thinking of using the various elements to 'power' different devices somewhere on the screen, or maybe have some kind of 'fill the container' type game, where the container has different colors for the background, that you would have to fill as accurately as possible? This would be possible whilst the weighting system doesn't work. Hell, we could just change them all to different colours of sand instead of water and oil.

Another idea was to have different shades of sand. It seems a bit bland having a single colour for the particles, but I really haven't looked to work out how the particle instances are tracked / moved and whether it's practical to have different 'shades'.

Hehe, you think you're going to take a couple of days break from the comp to escape the heat and gather my energy to eliminate a frustrating bug in the particle logic and BAM almost two weeks passes before I regained my intrest in this little project, aw well. <_<

Version 0.3 of gp2x sand is done, just waiting for it to get registered in the archive. I thought the archive was fully automated, but that doesn't seem to be the case.... or it is and I just happend to screw up, I'll try again tomorrow if it isn't done by then.

Well the major change in this version is the introduction of salt, saltwater, steam, plant and fire, which makes this version a whole lot more dynamic than the previous ones. Some bug fixes were also made, particles doesn't stick to the top of the screen and particles sinking in lighter elements don't form spikes where they land.

For the next version I'll see if I can get an in-game menu working, I think it will be needed to handle more elements like spouts and torches, and is a must for future user defined elements. I'll also aim to make generally improvements to the user interface.

I took most of the values needed for the new elements from wxSand but I modified them a bit since I use a different implementation which makes the behavior a little diffrent, I would appreciate comments on this. :)

Khayman posted on Jul 23 2006 at 09:18 AM said:
Hmm i dont get the idea of this game???

Hehe, you just goof around mixing different elements and see how they interact, possibly drawing up some advanced interacting structure only to burn it down to the ground.

There's no real objective, it just a way to waste time. :D

hammy lite posted on Jul 23 2006 at 09:48 PM said:
Khayman posted on Jul 23 2006 at 09:18 AM said:
Hmm i dont get the idea of this game???

Hehe, you just goof around mixing different elements and see how they interact, possibly drawing up some advanced interacting structure only to burn it down to the ground.

There's no real objective, it just a way to waste time. :D

Ahaaaa! in that case ... I REALLY LIKE IT!!! :)

Back