Ask the Dragon!

When should we do the live video session?

• Wednesday, July 25th, 4pm - 6pm (UTC)

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • Friday, July 27th, 4pm - 6pm (UTC)

Votes: 38 37.3%
  • Wednesday, August 1st, 4pm - 6pm (UTC)

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • Friday, August 3rd, 4pm - 6pm (UTC)

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Saturday, August 4th, 9am - 11am (UTC)

Votes: 50 49.0%

• Total voters

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
As I announced earlier, I'm planning a live video session called "Ask the Dragon!" where you can ask everything you ever wanted to ask and I'll reply to that!

Always wanted to know if I'm happy with the Pyra? Whether I like the GPD Win 2? What my favourite game is? What I'm doing in my spare time?

Now's the chance to ask!

You will be able to ask questions live here at the boards or on IRC and I'll reply to them live on Youtube!
Of course, it will probably be mainly about the Pyra but you can ask everything else as well.

If there's a lot of interest, I might do this on a regular basis.

As it's on camera, I can also show things (if I have them near me), so you can compare the Pyra to the Pandora, etc.

Whatever you like!

We first need to find a time where most of you will have time to watch and ask though.
Please check the poll and choose your favourite time slot! You can also choose multiple ones, if you would be fine with them.

If you do have some time, I would be interested to see a discussion on crossover OS possibilities related to Pyra and Pandora. While I find my Pandora OS to be really amazing (Shout out to Notaz and others for their hard work!!) I would like to see some experimentation as to what might be possible. I enjoy pushing hardware to the limits. Not a priority but something that might be of interest to us Pandora users who will be moving the Pyra but still plan to use our Pandora consistently.

Love to see a size, etc comparison between the Pyra and the GPD Win2/XD/DS XL...

Thanks for the update!

9 to 11 AM UTC would be 1 to 3 AM where I live, I hope we don't end up with that one!

9 to 11 AM UTC would be 1 to 3 AM where I live, I hope we don't end up with that one!
Maybe it should be a "which times absolutely do not work for you" poll instead. 4pm is noon for me which wouldn't be ideal on a weekday when I've got work to do, but 9am is 5am and I'm usually just getting up around then anyway so it works out best for me, but even though I'd prefer to get up for a 5am (9am) show I don't have any strong objections against any of the 4pm shows, so would abstain from a negative poll (or say "I can accept any of these times" if there is such an option)

How about the real-life user experience of the Pyra on performance wise - for example, open and edit a ~10MB xlsx spreadsheet? Ideally a side by side comparison of Pyra and flagship Android phone open the same xlsx file.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Friday 4PM to 6PM UTC would be 11PM-1AM for me. That's probably the only one I would be able to attend.
Well there's also the Wednesday ones at that time, but considering I have Saturdays off I'm hoping the Friday slot wins.

Ideally a side by side comparison of Pyra and flagship Android phone

I'm not sure there's much you could reasonably compare(?) The Pyra isn't a phone, nor does it have a powerful processor, nor is it using a comparable OS.

Perhaps one could list some pros and cons, although I suspect many of those would be subjective.

I'm not sure there's much you could reasonably compare(?) The Pyra isn't a phone, nor does it have a powerful processor, nor is it using a comparable OS.

Perhaps one could list some pros and cons, although I suspect many of those would be subjective.
Aye, if he were to do any kind of device comparisons, besides the Pandora, I think the only thing right now that would make sense is the probably the Gemini PDA. Which doesn't have game controls....so it'll be a pretty limited comparison....

Though......There's also the GPD Wins running Linux, but the Win 1's Linux support is basically nonexistant so that's just leaves the Win 2, which is priced similarly to the Pyra.....
But problem there is, ignoring horsepower, the Win 2 is running off an x86 chip vs the Pyra's ARM chip and afaik x86 has MUCH MORE software already available to it. I think in general with the Win 2 you're relying on software that's already available on Linux that works on multitudes of hardware configurations, but isn't optimized specifically for the Win 2 so if any kind of issue pops up you'd probably either have to fix it yourself or pray to the Penguin God for someone else to do it.
With Pyra the community's gotta build up the majority of the software support itself, so we'll have less stuff available in the beginning, but it'll continue to grow earnestly and if a problem pops up we can probably count on the software developers to fix without having to pay tribute to the Divine Flightless Antarctic Bird.
I guess?

All the ones that start at 4pm translate to 2am for the east coast of Australia
Saturday 9am UTC was the only one that came into a time I'd be up

T

I believe the Pyra is more user-friendly on xlsx spreadsheet editing than the android does, as it is a really nightmare to use the touch screen to edit spreadsheet. I would like to use Pyra as my every-day-carry device for light xlsx and docx editing, so I have also consider the performance of the Pyra using OpenOffice/LibreOffice.

T

I believe the Pyra is more user-friendly on xlsx spreadsheet editing than the android does, as it is a really nightmare to use the touch screen to edit spreadsheet. I would like to use Pyra as my every-day-carry device for light xlsx and docx editing, so I have also consider the performance of the Pyra using OpenOffice/LibreOffice.

Absolutely. Smart phones are great if you love games, social media and getting info quickly, but they suck at anything more "productive". They're basically distraction devices.

If performance becomes an issue, I'll likely use an ncurses option (spreadsheets included)

Smart phones are [...] basically distraction devices.
nailed it. with some ads thrown in there to get you to buy more stuff.

If performance becomes an issue, I'll likely use an ncurses option (spreadsheets included)
ooh, that sounds fun. sounds like you've used something like this before -- what do you use?

Back