Release Assembled Pandora Video

I just noticed the face buttons are in the wrong places :p
Not that it matters

I just
JIZZED
IN
MY PANTS

It's 19:46 EST, but a lot of people on this forum live across the pond and so forth.

I'll add a huge congrats to the team too, It's all looking great so far.
MWeston said:
Anyone notice you don't need a screwdriver to get at the battery anymore? It slides and clicks now so access is simple. :)
I thought that was just down to it being the FDM case too. Wouldn't bother me being either way as one battery should last long enough for me but that's bound to make a lot of the globe trotters happy.

The analogue nubs seem pretty much spot on from the video. I was a little worried about them not moving enough (or too much) and not feeling right when playing, but not any more :D

Cheers for the update MWestern. I'll be looking forward to seeing it all working together next time ;)

EDIT: 12.51AM here, so a lot of people will be asleep already :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Polossatik said:
I must say that the only thing that strikes me is that the LCD screen looks very shiny.

for the rest it looks damn good! :pandora1:

It's shiny, although reflections are blurry because of the touchscreen film :p

Won't the lithium cell get a cover? Isn't it too soft to just put it in bare?

I'm just a little scared about the battery->board connection, you know like the old Nokia phones getting a loose contact so they shut down...

:huh:

Oh, man, now I'm waiting for the electrical hookup and removal of the tape holding it together for some action videos with the Pandora running.....

Looks great so far, though...

I'm guessing the TS may look shinier than it is due to the rest of the case being so very matte.

Looks awesome!

Atako said:
Won't the lithium cell get a cover? Isn't it too soft to just put it in bare?

I'm just a little scared about the battery->board connection, you know like the old Nokia phones getting a loose contact so they shut down...

:huh:
they will ;) i mean.. i think they will :p

quoting ED:

"Well, you might've read it in the main news, we were waiting for the prototype batteries to finish up the case.
Here they are, they are not wrapped up yet, but the size and type is the final one, so this is another step finished."

second page on the openpandora.org blog :p

Massive congrats to the OP team for reaching this momentous milestone! Thanks for keeping us updated on moment-to-moment progress like this!

This is one more inch closer to a final product. Assuming final assembly of the FDM goes well, AFAIK this marks the first completed prototype of a Pandora, which is the last step before approval of the CNC cases and the first batch of prototype production models. And prototype production models are the last step before shipping!

Slow and steady wins the race, right?

I think I'm actually salivating just a little...

Wow, the Pandora looks so small and I'm really happy about the battery compartment. I didn't think the battery would be so easy to remove. Awesome!

Awesome. And I think this means things are more or less on schedule as per the mini roadmap...

* Case Design: January 15th
* Case Prototyping: approx. 1-2 weeks later
* Final production and delivery: approx. 2 - 4 weeks later

Now, those keyboard buttons; would we expect those to sit a little higher once the clear surface layer was applied? Or do you think this keymat prototype has full height buttons but all made of the same material?

a

aliking said:
Now, those keyboard buttons; would we expect those to sit a little higher once the clear surface layer was applied? Or do you think this keymat prototype has full height buttons but all made of the same material?
The coating will add a bit. Maybe 1mm or so. It should be enough that you can feel the buttons, but it won't protrude a lot.
Esn said:
At this point, I'm just waiting for the deadline to be announced, then I'll send my repayment.
You don't have much to gain by waiting. We have to make some decisions on final first batch numbers soon, so the deadline will likely be announced soon, and it won't be far out in the future.

Back