Release First Images Of Cnced Pandora

techFreak

Website
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Follow the link below to check the first images of CNCed body parts of Pandora. Sorry the text is all in Turkish but ED is working on a multi-language website so you will be able to see all updates in several language at the same time.

www.pandoratr.com/blog.php

You need to wait for a few more days to see an assembled and working Pandora. Because I don't have all the parts here at the moment. I'll see if I can put something together to show you more.

Thank you for your patience and your continuous support!

Edit: Sorry. I'm having some problems to create the link here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see.

A couple thoughts:

Is it just me, or does the lid seem to be missing the join pivot piece that inserts into the right side of the case? Unless it is a separate part (which it might have to be given the joint design on the base unit top plate), but then, where`s the part?

With this design, it isn`t clear where the cables go, unless the LCD cable is coiled up through the join.

Are those tiny square little protrusions on the bottom of the L&R keys the part that keeps them from swinging out of the case? They look a bit small for that job, no? Or am I wrong and there is another mechanism for that job?

I think I may have pissed myself.
Edit:
According to Google Translate:

Hello everyone,

In the meantime, we were unable to give too much information, because on our production as we approach the fall has increased the burden even more. After that, progress will be faster than them and we will work immediately to share with you.

Pandora's last step before mass production begins with the preparation of the prototype has been completed. This prototype has out of the Pandora's final shape is. Below you can see part of it is combined.

So what happens then? After combining the new image of plastic parts and we'll share the videos with you. If you watch this video of the Pandora's plastic parts will be prepared molds. This will take approximately one month. Only a few pieces of plastic pressed to-day production of plastic parts in the factory because the Pandora's daily capacity is 50,000 pieces. Plastic parts of the prototype patterns by generating and sending test labaratuvarlarına CE, FCC, robustness and stability tests will be done. Then we will make trial production. Trial production of the device into mass production will start after being checked. Then a friend of Pandora's pre-order will be sent to address ... And happy beginning! Yes happy ending will not actually start after that period of Pandora. ;)

When completed it will be all about how you can give a more precise date of the first prototype of Pandora works can be combined to have to wait. Because we can compare the error did not occur. Look at the bright side of the business, the error in her hands will make you a better reach of Pandora. Thank you for your support and understanding.

Just a note: Pandora's original color is black. The prototype used the white color is due to the material.

'BackAssward' said:
Nice to see.

A couple thoughts:

Is it just me, or does the lid seem to be missing the join pivot piece that inserts into the right side of the case? Unless it is a separate part (which it might have to be given the joint design on the base unit top plate), but then, where`s the part?

With this design, it isn`t clear where the cables go, unless the LCD cable is coiled up through the join.

Are those tiny square little protrusions on the bottom of the L&R keys the part that keeps them from swinging out of the case? They look a bit small for that job, no? Or am I wrong and there is another mechanism for that job?
I didn't put pictures of all parts there. There are too many. I'll try to build the case when I have time.

'mfk' said:
I didn't put pictures of all parts there. There are too many. I'll try to build the case when I have time.
Thanks. I guess I was being anal a bit. I`m still curious about 2 and 3 but will hold off bothering you until assembled. :p

Also, I thought this was going to MWeston? Did they mess up and send to you again?

No they didn't mess up. I had to check a few points here too. ;) Everybody will receive their prototypes soon.

So will the pandora always be cnc'd?

because if you have a large enough order you should be able to inject to mould it!

have you had quotes for injection moulding of the case then?

'jlebrech' said:
So will the pandora always be cnc'd?

because if you have a large enough order you should be able to inject to mould it!

have you had quotes for injection moulding of the case then?
it will be mould injected this is only the prototype, they will make the 'real' ones in the same factory that did the cnc

IIRC

Yes, they're only CNCing a few prototype cases.

If they CNCed every case it would take forever and cost way too much. The production models will be injection-molded.

'lulzfish' said:
Yes, they're only CNCing a few prototype cases.

If they CNCed every case it would take forever and cost way too much. The production models will be injection-molded.
Yep, around 800 USD just for the case would DEFINATELY be too much :D

The final version will be moulded, of course :D

Last edited:
I'm pretty much a newbie regarding cases and their manufacturing.
But what is the advantage of a "CNC"-case? if it costs a lot, why didn't they "injection"-mould the prototype from the beginning?
just curious, hehe :)

yet, nice to see that it's going forward. but i was really surprised/shocked that the prototype is white (really expected a black one ;)

'kollau' said:
I'm pretty much a newbie regarding cases and their manufacturing.
But what is the advantage of a "CNC"-case? if it costs a lot, why didn't they "injection"-mold the prototype from the beginning?
just curious :)
Taking a month to make a mold and then finding out that the lid snaps off after a 2 days won't be so good.

'arrrgh' said:
Taking a month to make a mold and then finding out that the lid snaps off after a 2 days won't be so good.
So, if everything fits perfectly into this cnc-case, they'll make the mold (out of a prototype) and as soon as this is finished, they can start the mass production?

'kollau' said:
'arrrgh' said:
So, if everything fits perfectly into this cnc-case, they'll make the mold (out of a prototype) and as soon as this is finished, they can start the mass production?

Pretty much.

"So, if everything fits perfectly into this cnc-case, they'll make the mold (out of a prototype) and as soon as this is finished, they can start the mass production?"

Technically the mold will be made from the CAD files they have, but yes, it will look exactly like the CNC prototype. Except for the color.

Machinist here, thought I'd weigh in.

First step in the movement from design to mass manufacture for pieces such as this is indeed the prototype. There's two reasons for this, first is validation of fit and form on the designer's side. Second is confirmation of structural integrity. They need to make sure that all the components will fit together, then make sure they won't break within a week.

The reason they do this is because a mold for pieces like this is less a mold and more a complicated machine. Injection molding requires extreme pressures (Most commercially available injection molding machines come in 5 and 10 TON models, which refers to the pressure in which the plastic is being forced into the mold). These extreme pressures are necessary to force all the air out of the plastic and insure uniform suspension of the dyes and additive chemicals. Most consumers won't buy a product with swirly ink spots in the plastic. An injection mold consists of the actual negative (shape in which plastic is being molded), as well as coolant channels and cooler plates (to rapidly cool the plastic so that it doesn't take 4 hours per piece), actuators and extractors (the piece needs to be pushed out of the mold precisely to prevent damage, better done by machine than hand), and pressure plates which must meet together as perfectly as human manufacture can muster. This last part actually keeps a whole industry within the manufacturing field alive (grinding, and it's not exactly easy to make steel plates perfectly flat enough to form an airtight seal when mated). A mold can range from 8 to 200 pieces in and of itself. Especially when you're dealing with pieces like this that probably require blind tapped holes (threaded holes that don't go all the way through the piece). Most cell phones and other consumer electronic devices have cases and shells that snap together with tabs, high end stuff like this usually utilize screws. Holes like that require molds with taps and motors or drive shafts to thread the tap back out of the piece after cooling so that threads are left behind without the need for extra machining after the fact. The mold for stuff like this can require just as much design and engineering man-hours as the product they're being made for. Getting it right the first time is the only way to keep business afloat.

These guys are doing this the smart way, rapid prototyping is widespread and is what all the "cool" guys are doing, but the guys at Pandora want this thing to be both rugged and durable. Old fashioned is the way to go with that kind of product. That being said, seeing this product come alive is one of the reasons I've decided to branch out and away from manufacturing and get into robotics and programming, hopefully using this little nugget as a platform for some of my zany ideas :D

'mod-god' said:
These guys are doing this the smart way, rapid prototyping is widespread and is what all the "cool" guys are doing, but the guys at Pandora want this thing to be both rugged and durable. Old fashioned is the way to go with that kind of product. That being said, seeing this product come alive is one of the reasons I've decided to branch out and away from manufacturing and get into robotics and programming, hopefully using this little nugget as a platform for some of my zany ideas :D
They did do an FDM case first though, so can they be considered both cool and sensible?

Good luck on your robotics programming stuff :>

When i have enough money and space i would love a RepRap machine, they can build parts of themselves :)

Back