Release New Address Of Your Thumbs!

techFreak

Website
Visit site
Hi all,

We know that you are waiting for some updates for Pandora. We certainly would like to keep you busy with more and more updates everyday. But sometimes it's simply impossible because we are working extremely hard to deliver you a dream machine, Pandora.

Thanks for your understanding, patience and continuous support in our journey.

Here's a relatively small update:

Your thumbs will spend quite a lot of time on this I think.

keymat.jpg

More updates are coming soon.

The Best,
Fatih

Hmm... does this mean that we'll be able to change the positions of the game buttons so that they can be in whatever order we want? Meaning we could have them SNES style instead of this weird thing that they're probably going to be as default?

Vorporeal said:
Hmm... does this mean that we'll be able to change the positions of the game buttons so that they can be in whatever order we want? Meaning we could have them SNES style instead of this weird thing that they're probably going to be as default?
Software remapping > hardware mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
cools said:
Vorporeal said:
Software remapping > hardware mod.

I think what Vorporeal meant was instead of having the:
CODE

Y
A B
X

layout (or whatever it was, to physically replace the buttons so that it maps to the nintendo layout of:
CODE

Y
X A
B

or w/e it is.

^^

Yeah, that's what I meant. It wouldn't be a hardware mod. It seems that the buttons you press are separate from the keypad, meaning you could just swap positions (and do software remapping) to change locations. Wouldn't require any "real" modding.

:D Great News

I am assuming this is the last piece in the Pandora Jigsaw Puzzle CraigX mentioned Last week

By That I Mean - They were just awaiting the keyboard matts prior to constructing the first completed Pandora units

So Hopefully we should see either pictures or video of a fully assembled Pandora

Can't Wait!! :lol: :lol:

Vorporeal said:
^^

Yeah, that's what I meant. It wouldn't be a hardware mod. It seems that the buttons you press are separate from the keypad, meaning you could just swap positions (and do software remapping) to change locations. Wouldn't require any "real" modding.
The top of the rubber is hardened and the symbols are printed on that surface. This seems to be a prototype key mat. It will be one piece, so no hardware mod possible.

Thank you very much for the update :)

Mali you sure about the hardened bit?

I thought there was going to be a plastic keyboard above the matt, essentially you clicked on plastic which in turn pressed the matt - the matt being a membrane

Thats the way I thought they were doing it

Either way is good - just confirm your thoughts and MFK please also update if you know anything

RajTakhar said:
Mali you sure about the hardened bit?

I thought there was going to be a plastic keyboard above the matt, essentially you clicked on plastic which in turn pressed the matt - the matt being a membrane

Thats the way I thought they were doing it

Either way is good - just confirm your thoughts and MFK please also update if you know anything
my impression is that the buttons for typing, numbers and the central column will be hardened rubber, but the gaming controls will have hard plastic traditional gaming buttons on top of the rubber. why do i think this? well they're going to need to stick a D-pad over the 4 buttons on the left, and you would expect that to be harder plastic, and you would also expect the ABXY buttons to match the feel of the D-pad.

Edit - i forgot to add, that therefore if the gaming buttons ARE going to be extra plastic, they should be able to be moved around and interchangeable.

Top of the keys will be hardened. There won't be any additional plastics over mat. It will be one piece and if you want to swap positions of the keys, "blank" keymats will be available through Pandora shops and you can buy and stick some letters on it maybe. ;)

You see it's a modder friendly device. :)

Its going to feel a bit like a old Speccy (Sinclair Spectrum) at least that emulator will be cool :D

:huh: No D-Pad bummer I was hoping they retained the D-Pad so at least the 8-bit consoles could play a bit more realistic

I expect the analog pad will get used for older consoles - with the newer ones using the four buttons

I suppose it will a bit like PSX joypads

Hey at least its progress and means we should see a completed unit this side of Christmas right?

Don't get it.
The gaming buttons look very small and at least the d-Pad should come on top of the mat, so the buttons would be on a different level.

RenegadeChic said:
, but the gaming controls will have hard plastic traditional gaming buttons on top of the rubber. why do i think this? well they're going to need to stick a D-pad over the 4 buttons on the left, and you would expect that to be harder plastic, and you would also expect the ABXY buttons to match the feel of the D-pad.

Edit - i forgot to add, that therefore if the gaming buttons ARE going to be extra plastic, they should be able to be moved around and interchangeable.
You are right of course :)

Keys hardened rubber and Gaming controls separate plastic.

Vorporeal said:

Thats fine until you get confused with homebrew software that tells you to press the A button and it's changed position :) Emulators will allow you to software-remap, but all homebrew? I doubt it.

mfk said:
Top of the keys will be hardened. There won't be any additional plastics over mat. It will be one piece and if you want to swap positions of the keys, "blank" keymats will be available through Pandora shops and you can buy and stick some letters on it maybe. ;)

Huh? I always thought all Keyboard Buttons will be made out of solid plastic pieces OVER the rubber plates...at lest ED's "Case-Explosion-Renderer" showed this configuration a while ago. I really thought I've payed for solid Plastic Keys and not cheap single-piece-rubber key-thing where the printing holds not longer than a Week... -_- I've never had good experiences with printing onto a rubber surface...

fusion_power said:
mfk said:

Huh? I always thought all Keyboard Buttons will be made out of solid plastic pieces OVER the rubber plates...at lest ED's "Case-Explosion-Renderer" showed this configuration a while ago. I really thought I've payed for solid Plastic Keys and not cheap single-piece-rubber key-thing where the printing holds not longer than a Week... -_-

I think it was one of the possibilities originally but in the end it wasnt as good or reliable. I dont think they are exactly going to do this cheaply. MFK seems to suggest that extra blank ones will be made with transferrable lettering for anyone who wants to mod them. Judging by the level of quality control going on in this project, the chances of them making something that will only last a week is pretty slim. They are not cutting any corners or trying to hoodwink and short change anyone. Maybe that sounds fanboyish but they arent going to spend a fortune to make those analogue nubs to then just gloss over the keyboard not giving a crap. Have just a little faith in their reasoning.

Cool thnx for the update!

Personally, I'm not bothered of the rubber keys. For the time being, the keys have to be easy in production to lower cost and safer reliablilty and reduce delays?

Anyway, keys can be swapped over time... an upgradable thing.

RajTakhar said:
Its going to feel a bit like a old Speccy (Sinclair Spectrum) at least that emulator will be cool :D

:huh: No D-Pad bummer I was hoping they retained the D-Pad so at least the 8-bit consoles could play a bit more realistic

I expect the analog pad will get used for older consoles - with the newer ones using the four buttons

I suppose it will a bit like PSX joypads

What? There will be a D-Pad. What you're seeing is what will be under the D-Pad.

Back