Release Pandora Now Has 256mb Of Ram And 512mb Internal Nand Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
javaJake said:
There's no reason not to passively wait for your credit card to get refunded, unless you don't know the meaning of patience (in which case an e-mail won't do you much good anyway - you have to wait until the e-mail is sent out, and then hope it arrives). If your card isn't refunded, you're all set.

Unless you got locked out of your online credit card statement because the providing bank has the most arcane set of rules for usernames and passwords and you tried all permutations of your usual ones you could think of until they banned you from trying any more and are currently waiting to have that whole mess sorted out.

... True story. Oh, or would you like me to call them every day starting now to ask them if there's been a refund?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eniko said:
Unless you got locked out of your online credit card statement because the providing bank has the most arcane set of rules for usernames and passwords and you tried all permutations of your usual ones you could think of until they banned you from trying any more and are currently waiting to have that whole mess sorted out.
That's an issue between you and your bank. If your login system is going to cause troubles then you might either talk to the bank about it or switch to another bank. Craig shouldn't have to worry whether or not your bank's login system is a good one. :p

javaJake said:
Eniko said:
That's an issue between you and your bank. If your login system is going to cause troubles then you might either talk to the bank about it or switch to another bank. Craig shouldn't have to worry whether or not your bank's login system is a good one. :p

Uhh, what kind of backwards world do you live in where when there is a problem originating on the supplier's side which requires action to be corrected the consumer has to sit back and wait to be notified about this through some other entirely unrelated source like their credit card or bank statement?

We're talking about an e-mail being sent out saying you're alright, aren't we? Then we got into who's responsibility it is to check to confirm that there is no refund. No one ever said you wouldn't be notified if Craig had to do something with your order.

<...cut out off-topic, political rant...>

'nother Edit, sorry for all the edits. I need to think things out before I post them.

javaJake said:
White Demon said:
+1 for an email saying yay or nay to everybody.
-1 for the e-mail. What happens if people miss the e-mail? What happens if spam filters start catching them? People will start freaking out.

If your card isn't refunded, you're all set. There's no reason not to passively wait for your credit card to get refunded. If you can't wait, an e-mail won't do you much good anyway - you have to wait until the e-mail is sent out, and then hope it arrives, and then you'll be even more worried when you don't get it when you think it should arrive.

In other words, it's best to assume you're fine until you're specifically told you're not. :p

Agreed. I signed up for the newsletter over a month ago and still have never gotten anything, so I'm a bit weary about getting notified by email. I mean by all means DO send an email to people if there's a problem, but I don't like the idea of losing out on my preorder if for some reason the email never gets to me.

Hopefully Craig can get all of the bank stuff sorted out and we're worrying about this for nothing. :p

P.S. Dear Craig,

Thank you for the extra RAMifications.

We love you long time.

_VWV_ said:
THIS IS UNFAIR!!!!!!! I want one with 256MB... THIS IS UNFAIR!!
SHIT!!!!!
:-(
Chill out, you'll get one from the second batch. Really, as has been said, 256mb is not a game-changer--nice but hardly essential--however from the reaction it will obviously be a huge marketing bonus for the Pandora to attract people who may not realize that RAM on an ARM handheld does not correlate to the same amount on an x86 desktop.

javaJake what planet are you on?

The recent record on receipt of emails is crap.

Not everybody can easily check their credit card statement every day.

The devs haven't got a perfect record for how they communicate such things. They didn't exactly tell the people who said they had paypal / email problems what to do in response to the forum posts. A simple "send us an email" might have worked wonders there.

Depending on the credit card provider it can take a week for the credit to arrive - longer if there are any problems.

That is why it makes sense to send everyone an email saying their pre-order is okay or needs to be refunded and re-ordered.

Anybody that has paid and doesn't get an email (if any) can then email and say "what about me?" and it is all conducted professionally by email, not publicly on a forum.

javaJake said:
White Demon said:
+1 for an email saying yay or nay to everybody.
-1 for the e-mail. What happens if people miss the e-mail? What happens if spam filters start catching them? People will start freaking out.

If your card isn't refunded, you're all set. There's no reason not to passively wait for your credit card to get refunded. If you can't wait, an e-mail won't do you much good anyway - you have to wait until the e-mail is sent out, and then hope it arrives, and then you'll be even more worried when you don't get it when you think it should arrive.

In other words, it's best to assume you're fine until you're specifically told you're not. :p

I think you're missing the point of what WD (and others) suggested. They're saying send out an email to everyone, saying if you are affected or not. That way you don't have to worry about constantly checking your account. If you get an email saying you're good, then no problem. You get one saying you've been refunded, then you start checking every day. This is to avoid the very thing you point out: what happens if filters stop the email? If only those affected are sent emails, then someone who IS affected may not get one. Or are you seriously suggesting that everyone constantly monitor their credit card daily? I don't have that kind of desire. I bought credit insurance for the purpose of NOT having to check my credit every day. I'd rather have an email telling me everything is OK then not knowing and getting surprised with next months bill.

Squidge said:
I think he's regretting not ordering one, not worrying about splitting the community.
Correct!
anexanhume said:
Well, I think that's why they are making more than one batch. So people can still buy it later, y'know?
Ah, I thought they're making the second one just for fun. I know I can buy one later, but I want one right now! See the difference? I was told 256MB will NEVER happen. You see.. NEVER...

mali said:
Oscaruzzo said:
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
funny thing not so many people talked about craig's doom 3 line... it's a really good thing to hear about doom 3 possibility directly from him!
Uhm, Doom3 didn't run so smoothly at 800x600 on a 2.8GHz P4 and a GeForce6600GT. I think one could get 3-4 fps on a Pandora at most... :unsure:

Honestly, it really would be a good show-off project for Pandora. :)
The P.devs could throw in some money, when normal distribution is established and hire some devs to optimize Doom3 code for ARM(after source release, of course). P. would get a place in gaming history as the first handheld to run Doom3. There is no better advertising I can think of.

exactly! it's just a matter of time, then. with the usual craigish coding competitions, people are sure to make some doom3 ports
that's what the dev fund is for people, it would be excellent for the competitions

Wohoo 256MB that's what I was hoping for from the start :) Really great news! And more great news is that I received my Visa bill today and it showed my 2 pre-ordered Pandora's on there :D

Let's hope I get my Pandora before 6 December (Santa Clause) makes me feel like a baby again ;)

j.pickens said:
Its official.
Every thread on the Pandora forums will now devolve into a refund/reorder bitchfest!
Annoying, isn't it?
Somebody should make a sticky: Post your whining here please! <_<

256MB is a very nice present. :)

I hope it doesn't lead to more laziness in optimizing software. ("Why optimizing my program for low memory usage If I can spread the thing over 256MB now?" ) ;)
So I still want to prefer small, optimized mobile versions of programms (Firefox, Ubuntu, etc...) even with 256MB RAM.

mali said:
j.pickens said:
Its official.
Every thread on the Pandora forums will now devolve into a refund/reorder bitchfest!
Annoying, isn't it?

maybe they should make a second sticky: post your whining about the whining here please! <_< (which there has been in abundance, among all other forms of whining. dont place yourselves so high)

PoisonedV said:
mali said:
j.pickens said:
Its official.
Annoying, isn't it?

maybe they should make a second sticky: post your whining about the whining here please! <_< (which there has been in abundance, among all other forms of whining. dont place yourselves so high)

You are in whining mood today, too, aren't you? :p
Check the LCD thread, there is something Pandora related among all the whining ;)

mali said:
PoisonedV said:
mali said:
j.pickens said:
Its official.
Annoying, isn't it?

You are in whining mood today, too, aren't you? :p
Check the LCD thread, there is something Pandora related among all the whining ;)

oh, i hop on the bandwagon whenever I can ;)

TaG said:
If that's so, I don't see how you can rely on any e-mail getting to your Inbox.

I'm fine with whatever Craig does. Honestly, this isn't a big deal for me. I didn't expect it to degenerate into a huge argument. :p

I love the idea of the Pandora, and I didn't mind the pre-order.

I do have one question: Wasn't the whole point of the pre-order to make sure all parts would be ready for the order? I mean, they expected 3000 units pre-ordered, how did they not ensure at least 3000 LCDs?

Don't get me wrong, I still will order this, and 256 is great... but the whole point of a pre-order is that your supliers agreed to your need. Not just that, everyone knew we needed at least 3000 LCDs before the pre-order began.

There is something else going on. Perhaps the LDC issue is an excuse to delay for the RAM. I don't know, but come on, they've been planning this for a year, how could there be a problem with the number of LCDs?

Hey, I love you guys, great product... but the story doesn't fit the facts.

BAW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back