Release First Images Of Cnced Pandora

'arrrgh' said:
(naw)mcx posted on Mar 10 2009 at 05:00 AM said:
Confirmed: Looked better in my head.
shit398.jpg

I can't wait to see the real one though!
Your screen looks very thick. :blink:
Be that space glitter smeared all over the screen?

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW its getting close to the first deliveries.

The only reason i don't like poisendv its because he hates on ninjamonkey too much.just leave the guy alone hes having fun.

'trats20050' said:

The only reason i don't like poisendv its because he hates on ninjamonkey too much.just leave the guy alone hes having fun.
What? I've been downright KIND to him compared to other people

anyway down to business. i am excited by this, its nice to see it smooth and shiny for once.

'PoisonedV' said:
'trats20050' said:

What? I've been downright KIND to him compared to other people

anyway down to business. i am excited by this, its nice to see it smooth and shiny for once.

I have to defend poisonedv, he is pretty damn nice to our oh so recent troll.

Anyway, yay for progress, now all thats left is to ship em and ready to go :)

'mod-god' said:
Machinist here, thought I'd weigh in.
That being said, seeing this product come alive is one of the reasons I've decided to branch out and away from manufacturing and get into robotics and programming, hopefully using this little nugget as a platform for some of my zany ideas :D
Can you say REPRAP being driven by a Pandora? Yes, yes you can! :)

'Mithrildor' said:
Craig's CNC arrived, but I guess he is not so happy:

CNC case arrived but the light pipes were not clear, not a show stopper.
As he said: It's not a show stopper :)
We can do stability tests, CE testing, etc. with it. You just can't see the LEDs ;)
Michael needs one with clear pipes, as he needs to adjust the brightness of the LEDs.
But that can even be done while the moulding happens :)

The CNC case is usable as it is for the rest of the purposes :)

Last edited:
'EvilDragon' said:
'Mithrildor' said:
Craig's CNC arrived, but I guess he is not so happy:

CNC case arrived but the light pipes were not clear, not a show stopper.
As he said: It's not a show stopper :)
We can do stability tests, CE testing, etc. with it. You just can't see the LEDs ;)
Michael needs one with clear pipes, as he needs to adjust the brightness of the LEDs.

The CNC case is usable as it is for the rest of the purposes :)

Is he assembling it now?

I`m still curious about how the wires get from the lid to the base, especially the LCD ribbon. It seems to have been asked a number of times, and if the design is finished, there is no reason not to answer that I can think off. Unless it still isn`t finalized, which would be odd at such point of the manufacturing.

Also, will the device testing include wear testing of a sample Pandora? Things like: a thousand keystroke test, a thousand opening and closing of the lid, etc? Given this device is entirely new, it`s durability to regular use over time is completely unknown. Especially for us early adopters. Sure having a year warranty is nice, but none of us want it to wear down in 2 years or some such.
(the thousand number was randomly chosen, replace with w/e number seems appropriate).

'EvilDragon' said:
For me "show stopper or not" is irrelevant. The CNC is for CE and Stability Testing and as far as a non-visible LED doesn't interrupt this process, I think its ok. (For the showroom later on someone can use hot glue and some optical fibers B) )

But at the other hand: this brightness adjusting of the LEDs, this is a kind of "which size should the series resistor (de:Vorwiderstand?) have"? Right? You cannot start the boards mass production without it!? (Or is the brightness software adjustable? I don't think so...)

Nor does some "fiber-optics hack" can do it (for adjusting).

So Michael has to wait for the first mass production (clear) LED pipes before adjusting those resistors?

Do I misinterpret this?

hede said:
But at the other hand: this brightness adjusting of the LEDs, this is a kind of "which size should the series resistor (de:Vorwiderstand?) have"? Right? You cannot start the boards mass production without it!? (Or is the brightness software adjustable? I don't think so...)

I'm pretty sure the LEDs are connected to a PWM. I remember excitement at the prospect of fading the power light in and out for different features. I can't find the exact post, however, so don't take my word for it.

I was under the assumption the LEDs would be controlled through software via PWN as well.

Is this not the case anymore?

They need to connect all the hardware parts, it's not that easy. I think only MWeston knows how to do it.

'BackAssward' said:
I`m still curious about how the wires get from the lid to the base, especially the LCD ribbon. It seems to have been asked a number of times, and if the design is finished, there is no reason not to answer that I can think off. Unless it still isn`t finalized, which would be odd at such point of the manufacturing.

Also, will the device testing include wear testing of a sample Pandora? Things like: a thousand keystroke test, a thousand opening and closing of the lid, etc? Given this device is entirely new, it`s durability to regular use over time is completely unknown. Especially for us early adopters. Sure having a year warranty is nice, but none of us want it to wear down in 2 years or some such.
(the thousand number was randomly chosen, replace with w/e number seems appropriate).
It's just a ribbon cable though the left hinge.

'craigix' said:
'BackAssward' said:

It's just a ribbon cable though the left hinge.

Do you know when we can expect to see a fully assembled pandora devboard in a CNC case.

2-3 days after MWeston receives his, I assume. He'll probably assemble it fairly quickly, knowing the voracity of the community for wanting videos, and will make a video after doing initial setup and testing.

What I'm wondering is if they'll be able to untether it from a power outlet and be able to run it off battery power... :D

Back