Assembly restart. Software work. And maybe our next SoC?

Because PS2 and Cooling are good Questions.

-Yes i do want a Linux Device..maybe with Android which is Fanless
-Yes the GPD 3 is a Dream for me..but its way too expensive for me.

I ever wished for a Device like the GPD3 when i saw that older Sony UMPC Handheld Device in Stargate Atlantis.
But realistic..my Feelings say buy it but my clear Mind say "no" because you will dont use it often enough for that Money.
There is a Device here to play Playtation2 Portable.

And i can play Playstation2 with my FxTech Pro1 bought in the Dragonbox Shop.(need a new Display Foil soon)
With a Game Controller and AetherSX2 i can play all Games and even Grandia3 or Ar Tonelico 2 without fan and fluid.
On this Phone i played Ar Tonelico 2 Extended Version complete until the end on Lady Cloches Way..
..maybe i will find the willing to play it again with Luca´s Way. :oops:
PICT0002.jpg ;)

Okay you are right...Playstation2 for the Pyra is not that Important for me..
..I do use the Pyra mainly for trying compiling Things and Linux experimenting :)

Little side Information:
There is an Upgrade for the Game Ar Tonelico 2.
Many Bugs are gone and the entire Game is much bigger with new Scenes,Locations and Missions.
It is the Version like the Developer of the Game wished it but they did not had the Time to Release that.
This is a realy worthfully Upgrade of the Game Ar Tonelico 2.

Last edited:
Well, but then why wouldn't you buy something like the GPD Win 3 or similar?
I haven't seen a GPD system where the battery lasted more than 6 months...

My brother's original GPD win swollen and died and now my GPD Micro PC has a completely dead battery, but still powers via USB C...

My brother's original GPD win swollen and died and now my GPD Micro PC has a completely dead battery, but still powers via USB C...

Well, they have improved, the later devices are getting better batteries (the GPD Win 1 one was horrible), but yeah, they die pretty easy.
Probably because the devices produce a lot of heat AND they really suck a LOT of power from the batteries.

Yes, the upper part stays exactly the same.
I'm not sure how easily the sticker can be removed. It won't tear, but you probably need a bit of glue to reattach it and you will visible see that it had been removed already.

It's on the PCB, so not attached anywhere on the case.

They're easy to remove. The spring is attached to the plastic on the button, so you simply need to push it down a bit when you want to put it back in :)

Ummm... I have no idea what people will pay for it :D

There's no place to fit one. The case would need to be redesigned.
A bigger cooling block could probably be implemented if we update the mainboard at some time (we could replace the full size SD Card slots with MicroSD ones and have lots of new space on the board), but nothing is planned at the moment.
Let's first work on the CPU board :)

That's why you have the GPD Win 3 or similar device ready to buy.
We will never compete with one of those when it comes to speed for gaming - but these will never run without a fan.
You can probably attach a fan on the outside of the case, but not inside it. The only one that fits are really tiny ones which make an even more annoying noise than the normal ones :D

We already applied some of @Asagynoodle ideas, like adding a second heatsink connected to the backside of the CPU board as well. I have not yet tested what difference it makes, but we did that with the units we shipped yesterday :)

Well, but then why wouldn't you buy something like the GPD Win 3 or similar?
Thank goodness you’re #teamPassivelyCooled. I have a steam deck and really like it and I recognize it couldn’t do what it does without a fan but I really hate fan cooling, especially on a handheld.

Thanks for keeping the project alive ED. I'm not very excited about the rk3586, but I can understand how linux support is prioritary. If it is better than omap5 regarding performance and consumption I will pay gladly for the upgrade.

I'm much more excited about the production starting again, and i hope to see more developers getting units.

Why not a water cooling system, I've seen a smartphone with this, in summer with 30*C the phone feels cold in my hand. Amazing ! (at least for me)
For a passive water cooling system you'd need a massive radiator. Maybe the back of that phone was a metal radiator, which will tend to feel cold until it warms up to your body temperature. Either way it's not a solution for the Pyra in its current form factor.

If it is better than omap5 regarding performance and consumption I will pay gladly for the upgrade.

It's a much newer chip, so I'd expect that is a given. It may not have quite as high a top end envelope of power as the opap5 because it's designed for a more powerful market sector, but it should defintily have a better perf/W figure, even though those figures aren't public yet.

For a passive water cooling system you'd need a massive radiator.
Rule of thumb: Water cooling does not cool any better than any other cooling technology, it simply allows you to move the radiator somewhere else with more space. It still has to transfer the exact same amount of heat to the air. It only achieves better results when using larger radiators. Does it need those bigger radiators? No, but you won't get any better results without them.

Well, anecdotally, I have a GPD Win Max 2021 and that is three months old and still going strong - I'll let you know in 3 months.

I've used my GPDWin 1 extensively for one year or so and then stopped using it because I had the impression that the battery had swollen, but I recently opened it and saw nothing wrong with the battery. I've got it running again and it's still working. But I don't run any GPU intensive games, charge it with a slow charger and generally speaking don't let it get too warm.
But I'm still wary of GPD products because of this.

The battery on my win2 also swollen and had to be replaced. I put the old battery away and forgot to recylce it. When I rembered again it looked like a balloon that was about to burst!
Still like the win2, I also have a pinephone with keyboard. That keyboard is nearly unusable :(
The win is way more pratical, but noisy.
sounds like tiny jeyengine at times ^^
If the keyboard on the pine phone was better, I would upgrade to the pinephone pro. But pyra seams like a better option.
20220520_131822_1.JPG

It is funny how the pyra is the device with a flame on its back, when in reality the win2 would a better candidate to spit out fire ;)

Well, I think that's an issue with all high-power devices: The more the battery is stressed, the shorter it lives. Combined with the higher temperatures these devices have, batteries won't last that long

Inside the win the PCB stack touches the battery, they are squeezed next to each other in tight case. I think the CPU ist set to 7W tdp. Using a tiny fan which is nearly completely blocked if the device sits on a table.
You can only have to options:
- power
- compact size
- battery that don't swall up.

Are there any news (in general) regarding new developments regarding batteries? Something solid state is being developed on, iirc. ?

Bear in mind, many of these kind of press releases are about stuff that only works in the lab at present. As far as I've heard all phones and cars are still using gen-1 Li-o batteries, with at the most minor alterations to their shape. There is research I've heard about which is fiddling with the anode and cathode, which is more likely to be employed in something you can buy before any radically different battery chemistry come to market.

Back