Astro Slide - By Planet computers

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
Looks like Planet is back again for a third product. The last was the Cosmo Communicator
Now they have launched the Astro Slide on Indiegogo

Indiegogo Astro Slide Link

1585562001648.png

Looks really nice.

Any Idea whether I can root this device or not?
Should be possible. Planet Computers offered a LineageOS rooted ROM for its previous devices.

However, I am quite disappointed with the choice of the chipset. Mediatek offers a very limited Linux support and Planet Computers usually provides no Android upgrades (Because of the chipset?)

mediatek . . blegh
Post automatically merged:

mtherfker . . . . embedded an image with a play button. I been trolled and made a fool.

The sliding mechanism of that prototype doesn't really convince me. Looks janky. Guess they have a year to improve that.
Still, not really a fan of their kind of keyboard for hand-held use. Not exactly in need of a keyboard slider right now anyways, but good that more are getting made again.

The early bird is very tempting.
But then on the other hand I hope my Pyra will be able to do all the phone stuff I need and then my old phone does the job well enough ...

The early bird is very tempting.
But then on the other hand I hope my Pyra will be able to do all the phone stuff I need and then my old phone does the job well enough ...
Same for me... I think that the Pyra will be release before march of 2021. It would cover all my potential use-cases of the Planet Computers device

I just backed it. The hinges look a lot stronger than those of the Gemini which consisted of a metal pin surrounded by a thin layer of plastic. The early bird price was too good to pass up.

Same for me... I think that the Pyra will be release before march of 2021. It would cover all my potential use-cases of the Planet Computers device
Exactly. And Planet Computers has left linux slightly gimped on both its prior phones. Notaz will port Windows XP to the Pyra before Planet Computers gives their Linux images basic phone functionality.

Notaz didn't do everything for the Pandora never forget. It was Pickle who owns doxbox on the repo, and probably him who first ported it. That was what some intrepid users used when they booted it into windows 95. And if I had to put money on it I'd bet actually it's ptitseb with his box86 project that's able to run the windows XP shell first.

Absolutely true, I only mention notaz because iirc he decompiled dlls of an older game to semi-manually convert it to run on arm natively which really impressed me, stuck in my mind.

Still, not really a fan of their kind of keyboard for hand-held use. Not exactly in need of a keyboard slider right now anyways, but good that more are getting made again.

I have both a Gemini and a Cosmo. The Gemini was great, but the Cosmo is awesome. I have big fat fingers and I can touch type on it efficiently. It does -not- work as well for 'air thumb typing'. But, if I have a flat surface or can convince a buddy to hold his hands out flat for a table, I can type like a bat out of hell on it.

I have both a Gemini and a Cosmo. The Gemini was great, but the Cosmo is awesome. I have big fat fingers and I can touch type on it efficiently. It does -not- work as well for 'air thumb typing'. But, if I have a flat surface or can convince a buddy to hold his hands out flat for a table, I can type like a bat out of hell on it.

Did you ever try one handed typing? I was able to get going pretty quickly on my Gemini with single hand typing.

Did you ever try one handed typing? I was able to get going pretty quickly on my Gemini with single hand typing.
Of course. But one handed typing is barely a step up from hunt and peck. If I have anything longer than three words to write I will seek out a flat surface to use.

Of course. But one handed typing is barely a step up from hunt and peck. If I have anything longer than three words to write I will seek out a flat surface to use.

Yes, table is best for speed. But one handed is much faster than thumb typing for me. Also more ergonomic

Back