Asus Nexus 7 - Google Jelly Bean

I don't think that's completely true....

they aren't forcing you to use cloud storeage at all, and even if you do use cloud storeage, you aren't locked down and can always use box.net dropbox etc etc etc.

I know my views on Google's ethics differ quite a lot from a lot of people on this board. But being a big believer in karma, I feel their contributions to your average computer users life outweighs any questionable ethical decisions they have made. I would even go as far as to say it would even outweigh the things they even have been accused of without producing proof.

Same could also be said about microsoft, sony, nintendo and apple. Just think of how different your actual life would be if none of these companies ever existed.

And there's always the fact that you can just not use it. But it wouldn't make finger pointing as fun :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that's completely true....

they aren't forcing you to use cloud storeage at all, and even if you do use cloud storeage, you aren't locked down and can always use box.net dropbox etc etc etc.

I know my views on Google's ethics differ quite a lot from a lot of people on this board. But being a big believer in karma, I feel their contributions to your average computer users life outweighs any questionable ethical decisions they have made. I would even go as far as to say it would even outweigh the things they even have been accused of without producing proof.

Same could also be said about microsoft, sony, nintendo and apple. Just think of how different your actual life would be if none of these companies ever existed.

And there's always the fact that you can just not use it. But it wouldn't make finger pointing as fun :)
the thing is, what has been good for google, has so far been good to us...but since google is driven by rampant capitalism(ignore the politics) they are bound to try to make more and more profits -do you remember when google was a search company?- and one day google will continue to do whats best for google, but by then our goals will diverge. Then google becomes the new microsoft. little conspiracy, foreshadowing and paranoia.

as for the cloud storage thing, the best demonstration of this would be the chrome pixel....$1400 w/ 64GB ssd? really? and they give you 1TB free cloud storage.(for how long idk)

1tb storage is free for 3 years (just looked it up)

that pixel chrome book is stupid high priced, but the hardware is still pretty decent, I don't feel the hardware justifies the price, but I'm not the target audience apparently. I would probably buy that samsung exynos 5 for $249 if I was to buy one. Little more reasonable priced IMO.

I understand google is a company, and as a company out for profit and increasing revenue wherever possible. I don't think anyone should blindly trust google with every aspect of their life. But taking them at face value for the software they provided the world as FOSS (chromium, android, and others https://developers.google.com/open-source/projects) and the countless contributions they have done for other FOSS projects to include but not limited to the Linux kernel. Makes them more on the positive end of contributions vs greed.

Of course I remember when Google was a search company, I'm not 12 =P I started Google search somewhere in the early 2000's. The difference between Google and Microsoft is Microsoft began as a software company and from their infancy as a company was aimed at business and computers as a office tool. Google started as a service company and geared towards the public. It then turned into a advertisement company and which still remains their highest source of revenue. But their service and core source of revenue play on each other. I think that's where the two companies differ quite a lot. And a good reason to believe their core directive will remain a focus on more end user experience than the companies that use their service for profit and ultimately Google's source of income.

But in the end, even comparing apples to apples, and googles to apples (pun) all being "evil bastards" they are still putting more in than their taking out into the great karma cloud in the sky. That's just my opinion though. My life quality has been notably improved with the existence of all of the mentioned companies.

1tb storeage is free for 3 years (just looked it up)

that pixel chrome book is stupid high priced, but the hardware is still pretty decent, I don't feel the price justifies the hardware, but I'm not the target audience aparently. I would probably buy that samsung exynos 5 for $249 if I was to buy one. Little more reasonable priced IMO.

I understand google is a company, and as a company out for profit and increasing revenue wherever possible. I don't think anyone should blindly trust google with every aspect of their life. But taking them at face value for the software they provided the world as FOSS (chromium, android, and others https://developers.google.com/open-source/projects) and the countless contributions they have done for other FOSS projects to include but not limited to the linux kernel. Makes them more on the positive end of contributions vs greed.

Of course I remember when google was a search company, I'm not 12 =P I started using google search somewhere in the early 2000's. The difference between google and microsoft is microsoft began as a software company and from their infancy as a company was aimed at buisness and computers as a office tool. Google started as a service company and geared towards the public. It then turned into a advertisement company and which still remains their highest source of revenue. But their service and core source of revenue play on each other. I think that's where the two companies differ quite a lot. And a good reason to believe their core directive will remain a focus on more end user experience than the companies that use their service for profit and ultimately google's source of income.

But in the end, even comparing apples to apples, and googles to apples (pun) all being "evil bastards" they are still putting more in than their taking out into the great karma cloud in the sky. That's just my opinion though. My life quality has been notably improved with the existence of all of the mentioned companies.
dont get me wrong, I love you...er android, gmail, reader(sad to say), google doc, and pretty much all their services. Also like you said I agree that we cannot put blind trust in google, but how far will all this good will stretch if they spend it so casually today?

They seem to spend their money more liberally than most companies. Also company's policies on work in general (20% of your time can/must go into a project you are not directly hired for) this is where projects like google reader and stuff came from! That's a fundamental change from the norm of squeezing every single cent out of every dollar. And their revenue is based on how creative the company is and not how hard you work, I can see why this is successful business practice for them.

Their profits are almost ill gotten, companies compete in an almost ebay like setting trying to be the most relevant to any given search term, bidding on those keywords between competing companies. It's the greed of others and the ability for others to throw their money at them, that makes google money. Making their service more attractive gets people to make google a bigger part of their lives, which gives them more face time, which gives them more traffic, which increases revenue. So really adding and making end user service better, and throwing their money around at projects like google+ and stuff that almost seems like a gigantic waist of money reinventing the wheel really means more money for them in the long run.

The projects like google glass, or the automated car project, their "going green" directives are also results of that %20 rule that can be construed as advertisement for them as an advertisement company, but in reality it's just progressing humans down the evolutionary line,

Back