At Least I'm Not Dead. (official Blog Update)

so i suppose this is going to push shipping back further than august right?
or will it not make any difference?

i only assume an additional delay because its a piece of bad news, almost every piece of bad news so far has either directly or indirectly resulted in a delay.

QUOTE (UPS)
What can brown do for you?

And we all know what's brown...

How about you take $10,000 of the 1M or so you have and have an export lawyer look over your current process? You'll end up spending your entire wad on fines if you take advice from a bunch of wankers on a message board.

We also need to know when this all gets resolved so we can also find out whether or not we need to begin planning how much money to save as there is still no answer on whether or not we will have to pay more (import fee's etc) just to receive our Pandora when it ships. Being out of work at the moment, this is a very important topic for someone like myself, who at the moment needs to know this information to know whether or not I can even afford in the future to accept the Pandora I have already paid for.

I like the idea of setting up a U.S. business branch if this could help solve shipping and import fee issues. You need to have a U.S. distribution point anyway later on, might as well avoid the middleman who will undoubtedly have a higher price anyway. That way you get that additional profit or the margin at least pays for the U.S. branch and makes things smoother. This is of course is assuming that is a workable solution. Seems if most of the parts and maybe assembly is done here, might as well keep as much as you can here.

Then again, I know nothing about business, or importing or taxes or hell anything...so it's probably best to do what everyone else does and just ignore whatever I say. LOL

But if a US distribution center was created, devices may no longer be considered imports and that would make FCC testing before shipment mandatory.

How about you take $10,000 of the 1M or so you have and have an export lawyer look over your current process? You'll end up spending your entire wad on fines if you take advice from a bunch of wankers on a message board.
Great advice, worded terribly!

Last edited by a moderator:
so i suppose this is going to push shipping back further than august right?
or will it not make any difference?

i only assume an additional delay because its a piece of bad news, almost every piece of bad news so far has either directly or indirectly resulted in a delay.
I suspect it will not cause any extra delay (if only because, like the two month quote, that has been the generalr eply to every issue - "it won't cause a delay").

Great advice, worded terribly!
Agreed, it's excellent advice (even if it does ommit that OpenPandora have probably already spent the 1M or so). And sometimes blunt is easier to read than flowery talking-round-the-bushes - I like direct!

Well, it will not cause a delay YET. This is for the board production.
It depends how long we need to solve this.

The case moulding has yet to start, so there's still time for the boards.

The Shipment of boards can only have the value that you declare on the shipping invoice. Because they are only parts, the value is -0-. This is not to say that you can't have insurance on the shipment though, which you should do.

Hi,

The nearest example I have experienced was the shipping of a number of servers from
the US to the UK for a software project.

We had a bunch of servers in the US, but needed them here in the UK for the developers
to code on. What our company did was ship them under ATA Carnet.

http://www.atacarnet.com/WhatisanATACarnetorCarnet.aspx

This is a bit like a visa for hardware. It is an agreement that customs are aware of, and
essentially you declare that the hardware is in the country for a fixed length of time
(up to 24 months, I think). The paperwork (listing descriptions/serials) accompanies
the goods in and out of the country - like a visa, and as long as the paperwork is in order,
customs will not be asking duty.

I am unsure if this agreement would cover parts -> assembly of hardware.
I believe it is more widely used for shipping demo hardware around, where you obviously
don't to pay taxes every time you demo it in a new country.
We were shifting several big servers.

ID

This in terms of a blog post is an own goal - it will put more people off holding out for a pandora - just adds more uncertainty to pandora project as a whole - and will lead to some like me seriously pondering whether an alternative UMPC and hacked handheld console may prove a better alternative.

It would be better if we had one voice of reason the community could put its faith into ... I'm trying my best not to stray but i can see it coming within the next month or so - there is only so much of the two month time lag a person can take - the uncertainty over import/export paperwork/brokers is a little off-putting to say the least

This in terms of a blog post is an own goal - it will put more people off holding out for a pandora - just adds more uncertainty to pandora project as a whole - and will lead to some like me seriously pondering whether an alternative UMPC and hacked handheld console may prove a better alternative.
It would be better if we had one voice of reason the community could put its faith into ... I'm trying my best not to stray but i can see it coming within the next month or so - there is only so much of the two month time lag a person can take - the uncertainty over import/export paperwork/brokers is a little off-putting to say the least

actually, i want my pandora even more now

DS: I already have one
Iphone: Too expensive
PSP: Nice, it's an option
OpenP: I like the keyboard and the potential to run all sorts of software and use all kinds of peripheral devices, I don't have a phone with a keyboard so the Pandora would make for a great handheld device for chatting / internet browsing. In addition to that I like having a device which isn't a mainstream product everyone knows about. I hope there will be some good original titles developed specifically for the Open Pandora (biggest concern)

It would be better if we had one voice of reason the community could put its faith into ...
IMHO his name is EvilDragon and his boss doesn't understand the importance of the Pandora suffiicently :( but ED posts what/when he can. More importantly, his willingness to post the bad with the good - and clearly in both cases - makes him the #1 voice of reason within OpenPandora AFAICS.

Importers Manual USA By Edward G. Hinkelman, Myron Manley, ebrary, Inc, James L. Nolan, Karla C. Shippey, Wendy Bidwell, Alexandra Woznick

Temporary Importation Under Bond: pg 310
http://books.google.com/books?id=SVoVKSXBT...lt&resnum=3

pg 311.
Subheading 1. Articles to be repaired, altered or processed (including processes which result in an article's being manufactured or produced in the United States.)

Back