Atari 800 Help

Betty 2001

I'm trying to try out the Atari 800 emulater but can't seem to find any instructions and am completly overwhelmed by all the options in the menu for this emulater.

Could someone please help me in getting it to run a game.

Thanks.

Yes. I was overwhelmed at first too. It seemed like it was broken or something. But then you have to remember this is a computer not a console so the emulator is by necessity more complex. But the good news is this emulator handles the complexity beautifully!

First you should make sure you installed the full version and have the os roms in the proper directory.

The simplest way to test is to load a cartridge. You will get a list of your cartridges in the rom directory. Just choose one and then it is loaded.

There are two other options you should be familiar with.

#1 Select System. If a rom doesn't work, then I suggest you come here and try a different system. Each system loads the dependent system rom. I find atari OS/a 48k works for most games. Some require OS/b though. And of course any 5200 roms (.A52 files) require the 5200 system selected.

So start out and make sure the atari OS/a 48k system is selected.

Then...

#2 Select keyboard map. Generally you want the "default" map unless it is a 5200 game in which you want the 5200 map.

In this case make sure the "default" mapping is selected.

Then go down and do a cold reboot on the emulator and you should be ready to play. Just click the "left trigger" button and you should go into the emulator.

If you see the "ready" prompt or a crash then I suggest you try this process..

1. Select cartridge or select disk file
2. Configure system as necessary
3. Configure keymap as necessary
4. Cold reboot
5. See if game is working in emulator
6. If not, then go to step #2 and continue until you get the game in question working.

Remember sometimes you will need to "type" keys to get games to work. Do this through the simple "left side" menu that comes up when you press the "B" button (I think it's B anyway).

You will get the hang of it and it will be a piece of cake in no time.

Have fun!

Scratch the above I've sorted it.

What a great emulater !!!!

If your a fan of Commodore 64 check it out ! You can even save your game !

Back