atari 800 - no input?

ralp99

well, I finally broke down and installed this great-looking emulator (first videogame system I had, back in the day!) I loaded up some Jumpman Junior and was all set to play - well, guess what, game loads + plays through it's demo mode but then that's it, no inputs seemed to work. I checked these forums for help and followed all the steps they suggested but still, nothing - someone else also apparently had the same problem but reinstalled and it worked for him (I tried this too, but no change!)

I see there's that virtual keyboard there when you press B, unfort. nothing happens when I press any of the buttons (except 'reboot') - can anybody enlighten me please?

You can load in keyboard maps, and perhaps the UPPER keyboard map may help (haven't got my GP32 on hand, will try it later).

Certain games work better with specific keyboard maps, Night Mission in particular which has it's own map included.

It's an incredible emulator!!!

keyboard maps - I got default.mem, 5200.mem and starraid.mem

nothing seems to work though (they give different options, but only reboot works on default, like I was saying..) Does anyone have one they could email me? ralp99@hotmail.com

Just tried Jumpman Junior, loaded the default.men and select started the game
virtual keyboard was needed to input the no. players and speed.

Is that the only game you've tried? Perhaps it was a bad image

tried Jumpman Jr. and Pacman - same case for both.

what actual buttons are you pressing on the keyboard to get it to start?

(ha ha the demo looks so good it's all that much more frustrating! My Dad and I used to play this pacman game for hours, when I was a little kid..)

ok.. i assume you mean you didn't press the select and start BUTTONS on the GP32 itself, but rather the options in the keyboard file for 'select' and 'start' - and I am assuming that 'cause I don't have either

Here's what I see when I press the B button:

A-I>
J-R>
S-Z>
0-9>
shift
space
tab
return
________
reset
reboot

and only reset works, i can highlight the rest to my heart's content but nothing will happen..
could I get your default.mem file?

ok well, those don't do squat (start + select buttons) - anyway I won't make you keep back and forthing this with me, i can mess with it in depth when I get home from work, maybe I should try a full fpk install.. blah blah.. thanks for helping, anyway!!

oh, while we're at it, feel free to suggest some games to try out, I never did have many carts for this system.

Check your email, I've sent you the default.men. It's the one that comes with the emu, I didn't change it in any way.

I've got virtually no experience of the Atari 8bit computers, but I do have the following 5200 roms on my gp32

Berzerk
Defender
Dig Dug
Frogger
Gremlins
H.E.R.O.
Jungle Hunt
Kangaroo
Keystone Kapers
Megamania
Meteroites
Millipede
Montezuma's Revenge
Moon Patrol
Pac-Man
Pitfall 2

(i already emailed Belgarath, but to others who read this...)

-- yep, that did it, I needed a different default.men - the one he sent me works perfectly. (this was the 3rd one I'd tried!! strange..)

hmm 5200 is more powerful than the 400/800 machines? or was it the same system pretty much, with the keyboard ripped out?

I know the 7800 was the next step-up..

It was essentially a 400/800 without the keyboard as you say although I believe it was slightly better. There are a few games for the 5200 that didn't exist for the 400/800 and some games that existed for both are reportedly better on the 5200.

Back