Audio Creation Software For The Pandora

milkytracker is xm, and as such rather limited...
chibitracker does .it tho, and will definitely be ported. the author is quite fond of the pandora and plans on getting one (not until the second batch tho).
regardless tho, im wanting a tracker with more muscle - in other words, plugins. nothing too serious, mind you, but at least a decent eq, compressor, and basic reverb.

edit: oops, forgot a link if anyone is interested: http://chibitracker.berlios.de/

There have been quite a few threads about this dating back to when the "craiginator" was first mooted....
milkytracker, chibitracker, sunvox, littlegptracker, will all port. Only milky is open source (as of a while ago) but ive spoken to the devs for the rest and they re all keen to get their software running on the pandora.

Nitrotracker (or some version of it) isnt out of the question but isnt likely. The dev is a keen ds/gba programmer who seems stretched pretty thin on other projects and since there will likely be a few other trackers on the pandora i cant see him jumping at the chance to add another.

There are some mini daw apps and other music apps on pda platforms. They tend to be commercial but i think someone will make something like that on the pandora.

And then there are all of the exotic/toy apps on the ds and iphone. Im not suggesting any direct ports but the fact that there are so many unusual and varied ways to dick about with sound on those popular platforms makes me think we could end up with some interesting things too.

Oh and fingers crossed for a more interesting and reliable pandora version of gp2xpd. (Limited pure data on the gp2x)

Actually, I'm toying with the idea of making some music/audio applications for the Pandora when I receive mine. What I'm thinking about as a first app is a modular synth which would look much like the Nord Modular's GUI:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/2005/N...-G2-Demo-lg.jpg

It should be pretty handy to use the Pandora's touchscreen and stylus to create your own synths out of modules. Would make me feel like a little boy playing with his Legos again :D As the Pandora is based on Linux, I reckon that it would also be possible to make some kind of plugin system for modules based on shared libraries, so you could easily create your own modules and define their GUIs in XML files. Additionally, a VSTi version of the synth could be made, the same way I did with PBSynth for the GP32, so you could use the sounds and synths you created on the go in your music production system at home.

But the whole idea still needs to mature in my head.. :)

Totally with you on the synth ideas chn .. I'm getting a Pandora primarily for this purpose, in fact .. ;)

At the very least, a PureData port would kick ass on the Pandora, with the touchscreen .. and then of course we have to work out some way to put the on-board DSP to good use too ..

A modular synth on Pandora, along with effects and everything? Music apps with plugin based instruments? That's kind of much more demanding, than a little sample based tracker. I would love to see it working out, but it sounds all very ambitous. Might be doable with some serious close to the hardware programming, but most devs here seem to be more into C++. With that, some sample based audio app with a few filters seems more realistic to me. Well, it all remains to be seen.

Babrios said:
A modular synth on Pandora, along with effects and everything? Music apps with plugin based instruments? That's kind of much more demanding, than a little sample based tracker. I would love to see it working out, but it sounds all very ambitous. Might be doable with some serious close to the hardware programming, but most devs here seem to be more into C++. With that, some sample based audio app with a few filters seems more realistic to me. Well, it all remains to be seen.
Yeah i agree. I have quite a big home studio which is midi bassed, so the pandora for me would be something for ideas rather than a full blown DSP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Babrios said:
A modular Synth on the Pandora would be so great!! Then I can experiment with patches on the go B)

torpor said:
Totally with you on the synth ideas chn .. I'm getting a Pandora primarily for this purpose, in fact .. ;)

At the very least, a PureData port would kick ass on the Pandora, with the touchscreen .. and then of course we have to work out some way to put the on-board DSP to good use too ..
Hey, is it you, Jay? Pretty cool to meet you here! Do you remember, I'm the OpenSMDI guy, Chris ;) Thanks for your encouragement! Hm, maybe we can even get something going together, audio-wise on the Pandora. I don't know about PureData, I'll have a look at it.

Babrios said:
No, what I mean is simply a modular synth. The modules (oscillators, modulators, anything you want, even simple sequencers) would be plugins. I thought about a complete music composition app with some kind of plugin interface for synths before, but I dumped the idea because I wouldn't be able to handle such a large app by myself right now because of too little time.
But anyway, I think the Pandora can handle very sophisticated audio processing. It will be pretty bored handling sample based synthesis with a few filters only. I did it before, and it's not really that demanding, power-wise.

ignatz said:
There have been quite a few threads about this dating back to when the "craiginator" was first mooted....
milkytracker, chibitracker, sunvox, littlegptracker, will all port. Only milky is open source (as of a while ago) but ive spoken to the devs for the rest and they re all keen to get their software running on the pandora.
Excellent. I can't wait for all the awesome software that will be showing up on the Pandora.

ignatz said:
Nitrotracker (or some version of it) isnt out of the question but isnt likely. The dev is a keen ds/gba programmer who seems stretched pretty thin on other projects and since there will likely be a few other trackers on the pandora i cant see him jumping at the chance to add another.
Yeah, I was half joking about 0xtob - he has a lot on his plate with PocketPhysics and Nitrotracker. I noticed he seems to get flack from fans of one when he updates the other. I actually made a small donation to him because Nitrotracker is IMO far and away one of the top DS Homebrew apps I've used.

I take it USB midi will be easily set up? Will the Pandora use ALSA by default?

I plan on using the pandora to play games.... Duh :p
But also I'm going to use it to produce Radio Dramas for our Church since I don't have a computer. I would like to see Audacity ported. If all else fails I'll just use it on Ubuntu, but it would be nice to use it straight from the pandora. (Did I mention it's open source?) Also a good MIDI Sequencer would be nice. I could even get a USB MIDI cable and plug it into my CASIO keyboard!

That would be so awesome.

I think people should focus on apps not just games for the pandora since it's kinda like a laptop!

Yes.. I hope to use Pandora to listen to music and hopefully cut it up with a program such as Audacity , somthing like LSDJ or Milky Tracker for midi or 8 bit stuffs.. Also if possible but its probably not somthing like Reason or Ableton would be great but probably not possible the closest thing that i think would work would be a program called Renoise which has a Linux distribution

It would also be amazing .. but probably not possible to have some sort of portable midi device such as a Novation Nocturne or something similar in size and under the $200 price mark if not 100 would be great.. but probably not possible for a while.. the audio software issue is most important to start

506.jpg

chn said:
No, what I mean is simply a modular synth. The modules (oscillators, modulators, anything you want, even simple sequencers) would be plugins. I thought about a complete music composition app with some kind of plugin interface for synths before, but I dumped the idea because I wouldn't be able to handle such a large app by myself right now because of too little time.
But anyway, I think the Pandora can handle very sophisticated audio processing. It will be pretty bored handling sample based synthesis with a few filters only. I did it before, and it's not really that demanding, power-wise.
I love the idea of a modular synth on pandora. Even if the max. number of voices were low with demanding patches, it would be great in many ways. It could deliver a rich variety of sounds for sample creation, and the samples could then run with more voices.
It would be interesting to see, if a sample based synth engine on the pandora could be low enough on system resources to run with an atari st emu in parallel. If the Atari emu could evolve into a more complete system with midi output to some sort of internal routing device, we would have a huge and very sophisticated bunch of the best midi apps ever for midi mangling on the pandora. Or for home use: midi output via wifi driver, driving the pc as an enslaved sound module.

I would love to see a similar application to dsmidiwifi, just for the possibility to fiddle around with midi-based applications and stuff. Otherwise the suggestions so far have been sounding very good, especially the modular synth.

Apologies if ive mentioned this already but im keen to talk the dev of sunvox into porting his software to the pandora. Its a well designed and well supported tracker/modular environment that isnt too hungry and runs fast and happily on smartphone/pda type devices. Given a bit more interest via email and on the forums we might convince him to port it... though ive had no luck so far as im a bit of a lone voice.

http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/index.php

edit: im also a bit wrecked and leaving this shockingly poorly worded post intact to teach myself a lesson.

Back