Audio devices

Didn't try it with Kirby64, but it sometimes happens.
According to daveshah, we need a kernel patch to deactivate the uplink, but it's possible.
Doing it temporarily is possible, but the stream needs to be started first.

I'm curious as to why when I plug in a USB soundcard, pulseaudio totally ignores it. I didn't know pulseaudio needed that much manual configuration, it's usually fairly automatic on other PCs. Why is it different on the Pyra?

It may be worth considering that Kirby 64 was quite a late release on the N64, being released 4 years after Super Mario 64 in 2000. I know that I had a lot of trouble emulating Mario Tennis on my Pandora which was also released the same year. Other games released this year include ExciteBike 64 and TLoZ:Majora's Mask (although that title shares quite a lot of code with Oracle of Time which is one of the main games they tune the emulator to be able to play). Probably written from scratch games like Mario Tennis and Kirby 64 pull a lot of tricks on the hardware, so probably stress out the emulator more.

I'm curious as to why when I plug in a USB soundcard, pulseaudio totally ignores it. I didn't know pulseaudio needed that much manual configuration, it's usually fairly automatic on other PCs. Why is it different on the Pyra?
Ok so silence isn't actually your thing..

Have you tried?:

Code:
$ lsusb                 # is your device registering?
$ pulseaudio -k         # maybe restarting will solve it?
$ lsof /dev/snd/*       # is another process hanging on to your device? -> kill it then restart

I can usually get pulsaudio to do what I want with the above commands. Jack is supposed to be better though, would be nice if that (just) worked.
Post automatically merged:

And who knows - maybe not even on every system!
I find this statement unsettling.

Last edited:
Yes, this is very interesting - and will help with debugging, as it seems that only Kirby64 seems to reproduce this reliably now.
And who knows - maybe not even on every system!
I have now had Wario Land 4 do it while playing it through Ducktape mGBA as well.
Post automatically merged:

Ok so silence isn't actually your thing..

Have you tried?:

Code:
$ lsusb                 # is your device registering?
$ pulseaudio -k         # maybe restarting will solve it?
$ lsof /dev/snd/*       # is another process hanging on to your device? -> kill it then restart

I can usually get pulsaudio to do what I want with the above commands. Jack is supposed to be better though, would be nice if that (just) worked.
I will give these a try. The device works, just only through ALSA directly.

Reactions: rSl
A bit late maybe, but the reason pulseaudio doesn't pick up devices is because I disabled pulseaudio's automatic driver loading (module-udev-detect).
If it's enabled, it makes a huge mess of wrongly configured audiio devices from the various alsa devices on pyra.
On earlier kernels it would even completely lock up, because it started to probe devices that didn't really exist.
So I disabled it, and manually load only the driver for the internal speakers/headphone to get those working.

It's one of those areas that still needs a bit work.(Where it seems that most of that work is to do with the half broken soundcard drivers).

A bit late maybe, but the reason pulseaudio doesn't pick up devices is because I disabled pulseaudio's automatic driver loading (module-udev-detect).
If it's enabled, it makes a huge mess of wrongly configured audiio devices from the various alsa devices on pyra.
On earlier kernels it would even completely lock up, because it started to probe devices that didn't really exist.
So I disabled it, and manually load only the driver for the internal speakers/headphone to get those working.

It's one of those areas that still needs a bit work.(Where it seems that most of that work is to do with the half broken soundcard drivers).
Ohhhh, so I just need to add the devices into pulseaudio's conf file myself? I can probably figure that out.

Back