Beta Audiorace 1.5

Oh yes, playing a video in the background (just overlay over the black background, leave the stars in) would be really cool! Something like XVid with mp3 sound could work, if you get gstreamer to do what you want.

torpor said:
ogg is onboard, flac too. mp3 is added when you install the Codec pack.
Info about what the codec pack contains at the bottom of this page: http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=178&Itemid=32
Assume that people will have it installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
crow_riot said:
just want to thank you for pointing out gstreamer, i'm playing around with this atm and it's really cool.

it's only a few lines and ogg and mp3 are just playing nicely on my dev machine. this will bring audiorace a real step forward on the pandora, no more boring limitation to ogg only :)

just a short question - what codecs are on the pandora out of the box? i hope it's at least ogg, and maybe flac, too?
Ah, sweet. All my music is in MP3, so I hope you release a update soon.

Jdbye said:
crow_riot said:
just want to thank you for pointing out gstreamer, i'm playing around with this atm and it's really cool.

it's only a few lines and ogg and mp3 are just playing nicely on my dev machine. this will bring audiorace a real step forward on the pandora, no more boring limitation to ogg only :)

just a short question - what codecs are on the pandora out of the box? i hope it's at least ogg, and maybe flac, too?
Ah, sweet. All my music is in MP3, so I hope you release a update soon.

I hope so, too :) ... it's only a spare time project and my day-job keeps me busy ... but i hope to release something the upcoming weekend.

:)

don't convert too many files, though ;)

i'm also refining (reimplementing) the way i generate the tracks and the objects on it.
i was never too happy about the capsule/mine placement and i hope i can come up with an improvement here :)

well yes, it can :)

if you refer to the youtube videos - these use an older version, with a lower curvature value. but i've increased that value already in the pandora beta release :)

This is really cool, thanks for your work :D .

Do you plan on implementing some difficulty levels (i.e. denser block clusters etc.) in the Pandora port or something like that? Something to ease new users in but still give veterans a challenge on the same track :) ?

Viral18 said:
Do you plan on implementing some difficulty levels (i.e. denser block clusters etc.) in the Pandora port or something like that? Something to ease new users in but still give veterans a challenge on the same track :) ?

when i first planned this game, i was thinking about that, yes. but since the first version of the game was made for a competition and i was running out of time i scrapped that.

i could add one difficulty level, though ... now you're able to fly outside of the 3 main tracks to the left and to the right. one difficulty could be disabling that and force you to stay within :)

crow_riot said:
when i first planned this game, i was thinking about that, yes. but since the first version of the game was made for a competition and i was running out of time i scrapped that.

i could add one difficulty level, though ... now you're able to fly outside of the 3 main tracks to the left and to the right. one difficulty could be disabling that and force you to stay within :)

Ah, ok. Back when I first heard about the Pandora, I always kinda hoped someone'd put together a game based on the users audio material; It's the perfect complement to the portable nature of the device really, as so many people like to listen to music when out and about :) . So basically thanks a lot for this XD.

Any thoughts on implementing a more analog style smoother control, i.e. instead of jumping between lanes instantaneously, gliding between them (maybe with the nubs)?

just a quick status update...
got gstreamer working (enables flac and mp3 support), refined the whole track analyzation/creation functionality with better on-beat detection now.
also have a workaround for the ugly texture mapping issue i mentioned in another thread.
now i just need to get keyboard input for hiscores and maybe some nub ship controlling in to head for the first PND release :)

weeeeeeeeee ... few days later here it comes ... my first pnd (what a milestone ;) )

download audiorace here

i'd ask to test it before i make a global news announcement and make the final upload to the archive.

i've also removed the prepacked music from the pnd, because now with mp3 support, i don't feel it's needed anymore. and gstreamer's ogg decoder is pretty damn slow, too!

note: you need to have the codec pack installed to get mp3 working!

[sub]and now, time to play frogatto ...[/sub]

oh just forgot ... flac doesn't work. sorry, but gstreamer just gives some strange errors on the pandora. works on my windoze machine, though. so maybe when we get an updated codec pack or something, i might try again and enable it for the pandora.

Down loaded and tried it. It plays and looks amazing at a steady 60 fps! Thank you very much for this game.

Just a question: Does it really belong into the category Puzzle and Board?

mcobit said:
Down loaded and tried it. It plays and looks amazing at a steady 60 fps! Thank you very much for this game.

Just a question: Does it really belong into the category Puzzle and Board?

thanks for testing :)

There's no matching subcategory in the freedesktop list, so i picked the one that matched the description on the pandorawiki games page.
if i don't use a category that matches the list, it appears within 'others' directly in the menu not even a Games>Others :(

[...]
i just changed the category to be arcade and reuploaded the pnd ... maybe arcade matches best (from what i read on wikipedia)

I tried the pnd and it works very well. Thanks!

One suggestion: perhaps the .art and .scr files can be saved in the appdata directory, instead of next to music file. That would keep my music directory cleaner. If you are worried about duplicate filenames, you can store those files using the md5sum of the music file. For example: <md5sum>.art .

Back