Release Audiorace

conso said:
Some minor critic: when playing outside, it's nearly impossible to see the baddies. Even in close roomes, they are a lot harder to recognize then the goodies. Any chance for some basic modding-/skinning-support.
I can do some cheap asset-hacking, but that's rather suboptimal and as your fanbase here seems to grow, this might really bring some pleasent surpises :)

the textures could need a little rework to get a better look on the pandora screen. just didn't nag the artist yet to help me out. i think i could do that on my own, though. the ship i too dark, too.

skinning support was also requested for the wiz version, but i didn't get my hands on that yet. i'll need to think about that, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize how annoying it must be to get requests like "You should change X to Y" and the like, but I have a suggestion: It seems like it could make it more challenging (and fun) if there was a life bar. and the course would end if it ran out. Maybe it could re-charge as you get lots of power-ups in a row? Just a thought. :)
As I said earlier, though, this is probably the coolest thing on my Pandora. Keep up the awesome work! :D

wermy said:
I realize how annoying it must be to get requests like "You should change X to Y" and the like, but I have a suggestion:

i'm pretty much used to this from my job, so i've no big problem with suggestions. IMO suggestions from users often make software just better - gstreamer suggestion came from conso for example :)

It seems like it could make it more challenging (and fun) if there was a life bar. and the course would end if it ran out. Maybe it could re-charge as you get lots of power-ups in a row? Just a thought. :)

it was intended as a casual game. easy to start, easy to play and nothing too frustrating.
i personally dont play games anymore with a high frustration level, or games that aren't easy to pick up, i just want to have fun playing games :)
anyway, back to your suggestion - a 'hard mode' or something like that was requested a few times already, so if i get a nice idea at the right time, it's something i consider adding.

Received my repaired Pandora from ED a couple of days ago so just in time to enjoy this game.
Relaxing and entertaining after a hectic workingday a very welcome time waster. Thanks for this treat crow_riot!
Of course it might be fun to have additional power ups, levels or tasks, but as it is now it is already one of my favourites.

My Pandora repaired (thx ED for the good and fast job) Pandora's are being shipped and almost daily new ports and software :)

When I choose a song, it loads (spinny round thing with time) then just goes back to the "Press Start" screen.

Any ideas, really want to play this as AudioSurf is brilliant.

Geuben said:
When I choose a song, it loads (spinny round thing with time) then just goes back to the "Press Start" screen.

Any ideas, really want to play this as AudioSurf is brilliant.

Download Community Codec Pack from http://www.openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=199&Itemid=40&lang=en and install.
If you already installed it before a firmware update you should reinstall.

reflashed with HF5 fw and installed the codec pack.

Actually works with a different album...

Geuben said:
reflashed with HF5 fw and installed the codec pack.

Actually works with a different album...

seems some oddity with the song you chose. you could send me the file you used (upload it somewhere?) so that i can check what's going on. but i assume, gstreamer can't play the file for any reason.

Thanks again for this great piece of software!

As you're taking suggestions... Does the Pandora have enough power to play a sd-resolution musicvideo instead of the black background? With gstreamer this should be possible.

Thanks again!

mcobit said:
Thanks again for this great piece of software!
:)

As you're taking suggestions... Does the Pandora have enough power to play a sd-resolution musicvideo instead of the black background? With gstreamer this should be possible.

i don't know if it has enough power. i need to try when i get time.

I'm still trying to work out a solution for the somewhat dead gles context after low power mode.
the only real solution might be deleting/recreating it, which is a rather bad workaround because all textures and VBOs need to be uploaded again and must be done by hand.
there's no such "use this 10 lines of code" and be done with it <_<

that has higher priority than any new feature now. at least, i've now a timer that is aware of the continue signal and resumes without having a time jump ;)

Good to hear! I hope you get it sorted soon.
For the video: I think the videofile doesn't have to be HD or something, a 400x240 file should be enough, and maybe it will have enough power to stream it with the audio. Also the audio from the videofile could be used.

Played this game more than was good for me :)

The potential this game has is huge and a lot of features could be added.
After playing it with a lot of songs I have some comments/requests:

- Would be nice to see the game preloaded with some music and pre-defined highscores. Doesn't have to be mp3's, what about some SID music? Would that be possible?

- Also this could be nice to use it just as a music player. Give it a playlist or rnd play option and let some bad AI player do the rest.

- pre-calculate all songs in a directory would be helpful and is my no.1 on the wishlist.

Bugs?

- It is not possible to play this game while charging the battery. Sound is not accurate on my Pandora. Pitch is speeding up and down. Might also be a hardware failure or OS issue.
- When I leave the Pandora powered on for a longer time with Audiorace, the game will hang and I need to remove the battery to continue (Pandora should have had a reset button..).

There is a lot of difference between the type of music you play. That is not a bug, but a great feature!
Love playing with music that has changes in tempo. One of the best MP3's I played for the game was Stuck from Caro Emerald (my not very good high score 35950). Tempo changes, nice slopes and good timing of gems.
Interested in songs and high scores of other members as well.

Might be some easy 10 line code between above requests ;)

b_o_b said:
Played this game more than was good for me :)

i know what you're talking about, especially when you play against someone else :)

- Would be nice to see the game preloaded with some music and pre-defined highscores. Doesn't have to be mp3's, what about some SID music? Would that be possible?
could be possible; i've had preloaded some ogg files together wiz version, but i removed them because i thought people are having mp3s all around and dont need to convert to oggs at first hand.

- Also this could be nice to use it just as a music player. Give it a playlist or rnd play option and let some bad AI player do the rest.
never thought of using it as a music player, but well, i could add such an option. shouldn't be too much work ;)

- pre-calculate all songs in a directory would be helpful and is my no.1 on the wishlist.
yes, such thing was already requested, in a different way. an offline tool or something that just scans all files and converts them.
i have splitted the track generating code already to make this possible already some time ago. so to say, it's on my plan :)

Bugs?
- It is not possible to play this game while charging the battery. Sound is not accurate on my Pandora. Pitch is speeding up and down. Might also be a hardware failure or OS issue.
- When I leave the Pandora powered on for a longer time with Audiorace, the game will hang and I need to remove the battery to continue (Pandora should have had a reset button..).
never tried charging an playing. but i guess it's something with the OS, as i just give the file to gstreamer and say play it.

there are some issues with the opengles driver (low power mode), so i guess stalls are also related to that.
i really hope we get some better driver that overcomes at least the stalling issues; the hardware seems to be very capable and was one major reason for me to get a pandora.

reset button ... hold the pandora button and slide the power button, thats reset for me (hotfix5 rc1). it's some handy key combination ;)

crow_riot said:
reset button ... hold the pandora button and slide the power button, thats reset for me (hotfix5 rc1). it's some handy key combination ;)
That have always been there ;)

Some ideas:
- Give the background some variation/mood (like this this).
- Let the bassdrums flash some colors
- A simple race-mode where the controls are more like f-zero. Goal is to stay on track, (hmm, no mines or capsules?)
- heftier corners and moar speed for that race-mode

Minor thing: Maybe the nub control is a bit too sensitive.

Btw.: Great game ;)

whynodd

I'm going to restrain my suggestions for new features as the game is still young and there are already many decent suggestions, but there is one thing I've had an issue with and it seems to be songs with non english characters in the file name. I dont mind that it has ??????-????.mp3 but it just wont play dosen't seem to be an issue with songs that have these characters in the info tag but if it's in the file name it returns to the song list.

Someone made a great point about some of the songs and how they create some really enjoyable tracks. It might be nice to share some of our favorites (granted I would assume there to be some drift in the actual track content due to differences in everyone's personal collection of recordings but I imagine the over all effect would remain the same.) I made some videos of a few tracks that I was going to post on youtube but because their stupid upload system is so broken I can't load them for more than 2 minutes before the upload interrupts.

thanks to all for the suggestions - i keep them in mind of course, and will consider them in a future update. there is lot's of space for improvements, especially when it comes to gameplay :)

Alpha2 said:
I'm going to restrain my suggestions for new features as the game is still young and there are already many decent suggestions, but there is one thing I've had an issue with and it seems to be songs with non english characters in the file name. I dont mind that it has ??????-????.mp3 but it just wont play dosen't seem to be an issue with songs that have these characters in the info tag but if it's in the file name it returns to the song list.
well that's my bad (of course); i'm not using utf8 or unicode throughout the whole game, so this is something i know but didnt fix yet. i need to take care of this, of course. it'll probably remain the questionmark-character in the selector, but it of course should work for loading+playing.

Someone made a great point about some of the songs and how they create some really enjoyable tracks. It might be nice to share some of our favorites (granted I would assume there to be some drift in the actual track content due to differences in everyone's personal collection of recordings but I imagine the over all effect would remain the same.) I made some videos of a few tracks that I was going to post on youtube but because their stupid upload system is so broken I can't load them for more than 2 minutes before the upload interrupts.
i uploaded one short video from the wiz version recorded with a mobile camera, so nothing spectacular here. more exposure on youtube wouldnt hurt in regards to popularity i guess :)

Yeah, mine were recorded with the Playstation Eye cam so nothing too spectacular on my part, not even 480p but they were fairly clear, I just wish I could get them posted. :rage:

Back