Auntie Maude's legacy (What if you were rich?)

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
You have just received a letter informing you that a long-lost relative has just left you lots of million GBP/USD/EUR/WER in her will. And not is isn't spamming/scamming/fraud/money laundering/all that When you have got over the triple shock of:

1. You have a new relative
  2. A relative has died
  3. You are now very rich

Which are all true! You have to decide what to do with the money.

Other than boring things like investing is things, or giving it to charity, what would you do.

---

I would set a a combined museum/workshop/research center making and displaying (and demonstrating) really awesome ideas that never got funding/etc.

It is genuine, legal, uncontested, and actually worth what it appears to be, with no deal-breaking strings/cables/chains attached!

If you are still picking holes in this, you are just going to have to try to suspend disbelief for a while. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would realise that it's typical of a script of an Advance Fee Fraud scammer, and cut off all contact. :p

I would realise that it's typical of a script of an Advance Fee Fraud scammer, and cut off all contact. :p
Whoa your avatar changes quickly!

---

Anyway, what if it were completely genuine/legal/whatever and you had uncontested use of the money?

Haha, I couldn't resist the scammer angle - it reminded me of those e-mails way too much (as for the avatar, I just felt like a change :p ). :lol: Let's see, though...

Aside from the "boring" things excluded from this, I would probably put at least some of it into fabrics, so I can improve on my skills. :p That's about the only thing I can think of.

You have just received a letter informing you that a long-lost relative has just left you lots of million GBP/USD/EUR/WER in her will. When you have got over the triple shock of:

1. You have a new relative
  2. A relative has died
  3. You are now very rich

You have to decide what to do with the money.

Serously, i would rather shot myself in the head, because if someone is giving me a million bucks.. THIS IS REALLY END OF THE WORLD..

I'd buy all the Pandora pre-orders.

nigerianscammers.jpg

THIS IS REALLY END OF THE WORLD..
It is not. It's just a currency reform, the existing money will be worthless and you'll have to get your new currency starter kit at your favorite bank. Keep the million old bucks, they'll give you heat in cold winter nights.

...Having previously open-sourced all their software (&hardware?)?

If it was *enough* money, I would buy a secluded piece of land somewhere as a nest egg...

Then I would find a team of talented programmers and employ them to (at the very least, try their damnedest) bring to life a game engine I've dreamed and fantasized about since I was still in High School.

I would be the creative director, but would get most of the artistic content generated by professional artists / musicians with far more talent than I. The flavor and theme of course would be mine, as well as the overall aesthetic composition.

It would be a looooooong term project, so we would probably have to release smaller commercial games to keep the company going.

Of course we would fully support the Open Pandora Team and probably do some collaborative projects / marketing.

hmm.. point taken, but I guess with your late "Auntie Maude's" vast untold wealth at your disposal you could probably go super and stay super for quite a while by regulating when you take your next cup... Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go watch Three Hundred Big Boys. :)

Somewhat gallingly, I actually know someone that something like this happened to last year. His Wife had died some months previously, and he was contacted by lawyers representing an Airport. Unbeknownst to him, his late wife was the sole heir to a large delapidated farm bordering the Airport and they were in the middle of an expansion project. One phone call later he was 2.8 Million Euro better off.

Personally, I'd build an impenetrable fortress, with a replica 80s era arcade and computer shop (minus the defaced spectrums with missing keys). A half dozen or so Lamborghinis, and a workshop with 3D printers and lots of Lasers. And lots of video projectors.

Back