Autocad Clones?

MonkeyChops

NO! I don't play basketball
does anyone know if there will be or could be a good autocad clone for the pandora?

I'm not really concerned with rendering or 3d at all for that matter(although it would be nice).

I'm interested in the possiblity of a 2d autocad clone that could save in a format that autocad could understand.

Even with the small screen I think I could use it for a couple of things.

1. I do some 2d detailing work for the construction company I work for and I think I could do some basic leg work on the go with a progam like this.

2. I'm in the process of drawing my home and business floorplans for various reasons. having the ability to carry an autocad clone around with me while I take measurements and come up with ideas would be very ideal even if it only had basic autocad functions. I would obviously want to do the majority of the work on my computer built for autcad with a 24" screen.

thanks.

edit: this website: http://www.osalt.com/autocad
lists 3 opensource autocad clones that work on linux. any hope of one of these being ported?

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be very cool. I am a shop detailer for a structural steel fabrication company and using the pandora to do site measuring would be very handy indeed.

QCad.
It already exists for debian-arm, so that will probably run out of the box.
The free version doesn't support polylines though and I don't know if you can buy the full version for arm (or armel).
I have been running it on a zaurus C860 and I can live without the polylines, but it would be nice to have them.

Chero.

I think CAD on the Pandora would be useless. The screen is far too small.
I hate doing CAD work on my 15´´ Notebook. The Pandora has not a third of that size.

Uh, you do know the difference between screen size and screen resolution, right? Just because 4ish" is less than a third of 15", does *not* mean that it can only display a third as much...

if zoom and pan were mapped to the analog stick and/or the dpad, I don't think the small screen would be impossble to do basic tasks on. it being a touch screen helps also.

maybe have zoom mapped to the left analog and have the left trigger switch between pointer and pan for touchscreen input.

does qcad save files in autocad format?

'pelrun' said:
Uh, you do know the difference between screen size and screen resolution, right? Just because 4ish" is less than a third of 15", does *not* mean that it can only display a third as much...

Yes, I know the difference. Next question please.

There is an export function in the professional edition. I don´t know about the (open source) community edition.

MonkeyChops said:
It uses DXF, which AutoCAD and many other programs can use without problem. As far as I'm aware, QCad can't handle DWG files, reading or writing, but you can use AutoCAD to convert those to DXFs, modify them with QCad, then bring them back into AutoCAD.

Back