Avc

Dolfhin

Militaire Madness Junkie
Website
Visit site
With the PSP supporting AVC now how big is the change that the GP2x will support it? Perhaps it wont be included out of the box but I assume it will be possible hardware wise.
XBMC has some problems with AVC but thats in a lot higher resolution. The PSP supports this :

AVC Decoder
AVC(H.264) Decoder
Main Profile
Baseline Profile
@Level1,Level2,Level3
2Hours(High Quality) - DVD movie
4Hours(Standard Quality) - CS Digital

This is something I have really been wanting, I and alot of people know it has h.264 and have no clue where the name AVC came from.

The problem is that is requires a lot of proccesing power, so we would probaly need to know how to use that second core very efficently. At the VERY least we would have to split up video and audio between the cores.

reallynotnick posted on Sep 27 2005 at 07:05 AM said:
At the VERY least we would have to split up video and audio between the cores.

It might be able to handle 320x240 this way, I'll surely give it a shot.

There are no real docs for the media decoding part of the processor that I've seen, so it would have to be software :(

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, the psp has hardware for decoding avc stuff. the avc umds look great! too bad you can't playback your own avc stuff at full rez.
i think avc playback is possible on the 2x..how fast ???

reallynotnick posted on Sep 26 2005 at 11:05 PM said:
This is something I have really been wanting, I and alot of people know it has h.264 and have no clue where the name AVC came from.

The problem is that is requires a lot of proccesing power, so we would probaly need to know how to use that second core very efficently. At the VERY least we would have to split up video and audio between the cores.
As far as I know that h.264 stuff runs on the Zodiac so it should not be a problem on the GP2X...

i dont see why its needed, high bitrate mpeg4/divx will look as good, if not better.
H.263 is supported btw.

it'll bring better compression, so we'll have high qual video taking even less space than xvid/divx video.

OrR posted on Sep 27 2005 at 11:26 AM said:
reallynotnick posted on Sep 26 2005 at 11:05 PM said:

As far as I know that h.264 stuff runs on the Zodiac so it should not be a problem on the GP2X...

This is probably as close to an anwser we will get with the lack of actually testing! Thanks!

Vimacs posted on Sep 27 2005 at 11:38 AM said:
i dont see why its needed, high bitrate mpeg4/divx will look as good, if not better.
H.263 is supported btw.

Higher bitrate equals more space, equals less naked anime girls :eek: Oh and all PSP stuff is in AVC!

junker posted on Sep 27 2005 at 06:45 AM said:
it'll bring better compression, so we'll have high qual video taking even less space than xvid/divx video.

I could not say it better, execpt by putting a E infront of qual.

I mean you don't want to use mpeg-1 right? H.264 is just better plain and simple then H.263. The only down side is that it takes more power to encode and decode, which makes sense because it is a higher compression.

reallynotnick posted on Sep 27 2005 at 11:27 PM said:
junker posted on Sep 27 2005 at 06:45 AM said:

I could not say it better, execpt by putting a E infront of qual.
I think putting an "ity" at the end of "qual" would be the better way... :p

Back