Awful game ideas.

A first person shooter where your gun is a banana.
Isn't this a game already? Reminds me of RIPD.

How about a game where you navigate a maze or world in two dimensions shown from the side? The display of the world would be a very short (one pixel high?) representation of what would be seen from the perspective of the player. To make it easier you could shorten the viewable distance. You will probably need food and water to live, and to avoid hazards. I kinda want to make this.

Somewhere between Black Box and Minesweeper, I suppose...
Reminds me more of:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship_(game)

what kind of gameplay i can insert there
I like this one:
https://findtheinvisiblecow.com/

Maybe a 3D aural game, where you are to follow a voice "Follow me!" and you press into the direction the voice came from (turn based), after 1 bad press (your distance to the voice increases), the voice sounds fainter and thus, it becomes harder. In higher levels, there are other voices that call you, so you need to focus on the one single voice. First level is the library, where you hear some pages turn, maybe some steps. Higher levels are like a market; lots of ambient 3D sounds.
With maybe walls that you can bump into, and 1 other chance if so.
You gain money at the end of the level ("you earned X, you now have Y"). Some other voices sell you things (for example, to walk 3 times in a row, or to give a directional hint where to go to). So if you hear the peddler nearby (1 step close, in your ear), you move into that direction. The menu is pressing 1, and you hear what it is, press space to activate that card/action.
[doublepost=1518117536,1518114965][/doublepost]
How about a game where you navigate a maze or world in two dimensions shown from the side?
Ah, and with darker colours you emulate distance. So you still have green trees, but a far away tree is darkgreen.
You would still need sideviews for all 4 sides though, or at least front and back. Sounds nice.
I once played this 1 dimensional game. Go left or right and shoot all the baddies that come at you. The line was drawn 3 dimensionally and moved around keeping it interesting and fresh. The sound was upbeat and great and the game was fun.

Last edited:
Good idea. So much for making it a GB game. The colors and width might help you identify what a thing is, and text below the main display can tell you what happened ("You found a carrot" "you get stabbed by porcupine quills"). Give it real time, and you can save anywhere, but a bed in a building is safest.

Not sure I want to share this next idea with you, since it's particularly awful, but I'm kinda bored, so what the heck.

I call it "FarTerra: Saga of the Broken Wind". It's basically an RPG full of fart jokes, some subtler than others. After the winds stopped blowing, humans learned to produce and control their own wind. Little did they know that this awesome power would nearly lead to their destruction...

You've seen them in action before - Hadoukens, Burn Knuckles, Dragon Installs, Mystic Eyes of Death Perception. But have you seen what happens... AFTER THE FIGHT?
  • Can you shake hands with your opponent before the Guilt Meter maxes out?
  • Execute devastating Super Sorries to let your opponent know who's the better man (or woman)!
  • Console your teammates as you tend to their wounds. Careful - one wrong move and you'll make their injuries (or emotional state) even worse!
  • Play the Scrub minigame, where you have to figure out just how much detergent, fabric softener, oxidative cleaner, and bleach to use to get bloodstains out of your outfit. Look out - if you use the wrong combination, you'll destroy your main outfit and have to use your alternate. Mess up on that one too, and you have to fall back to an outfit generously donated to you by Heihachi Mishima after Tekken 4.
  • Flee the pursuing police after your victory! Be alert - there's plenty of things to trip over, and if you get arrested, in addition to getting slapjacked, cuffed, and booked for disturbing the peace, your opponent automatically advances!
  • Go on trial for murder after your opponent was knocked off a bridge and fell hundreds of feet to their deaths!
  • Witness the devastation of an Earth KO firsthand in our new POV game mode!
All this and more! Coming soon to a Pyra* near you!

*Quantum CPU Upgrade Board must be installed.

Last edited:
Guys, new awful game idea. Well, actually, a legitimate proposal, but I figure it's awful enough to post here, and Wally doesn't want me creating too many threads anyway. Anyway, I wanna make a single-player digital role-playing gamebook. Trying to find an original gameplay hook though.

One of my ideas right now is to keep character creation freeform enough to recreate any character you can think of, while still being systemized enough to be meaningful. My current system involves letting the player name the character and class and having them choose three abilities. This will require me to think of a list of hundreds of abilities though, and determine how they would each work within my system. I also want to make sure that the player still has the ability to overcome any situation.

Here's my current thinking: Each ability will have a hidden set of stamina costs for resolving each situation type. The goal being to use the correct abilities to preserve stamina so that it never reaches zero. There will be items and places to find that restore stamina and items to find that can be used to resolve certain situations without costing stamina. I'm also thinking that stamina will be separated into three meters, one for each ability, so that there are times you might want to use a higher cost ability, in case you want to conserve another ability's stamina for later, or if that other ability's stamina has already run out.

Obviously, this character system will be a bit unbalanced, but I see it as a way for the player to adjust difficulty level. All this seems too simple though. Has it been done before?

Character example:
Mario Mario
Nickname: Mario
Class: Plumber
Ability 1: Jumping - Physical Combat -2, Magical Combat -4, Escape -1, Charm -3
Ability 2: Fire Magic - Physical Combat -3, Magical Combat -1, Escape -3, Charm -3
Ability 3: Mustache - Physical Combat -5, Magical Combat -5, Escape -5, Charm -1
[doublepost=1519406941,1519401712][/doublepost]Man, that post looked small on my PC, but on my tablet it's an epic text wall. Sorry about that. Maybe I should just make a demo for you guys to judge.

My only problem is that this gamebook concept is mostly based on discovery, so it won't be much fun for myself to actually play. Maybe I should make it into a Roguelike or life sim or something.

My next bright idea is a DIY CYOA (Do-it-yourself Choose Your Own Adventure).

I sell some A4 (double sided white paper) in a fancy box.

No limits! The pages do not have lines because you sometimes want to draw on them or use bigger letters and the lines might get in the way.
The pages are not binded, so you can track your pages yourself.

I've been thinking more about my gamebook idea. I said it was simple, but the way I have it planned, there will be too many situation types. I wanna cut it down to five or so broad types. Also, I fear some character builds may be impossible to beat the gamebook with. I'm thinking I should introduce probability to compensate. Something like having dice probabilities rather than stamina costs, and depleting one stamina for each bad dice roll, but allowing you to keep trying as long as you still have stamina. Besides, it's way more fun to beat a monster in combat with your Mustache skill by getting a lucky dice roll than it is to spend a fixed amount of stamina to do it. I do still like my idea of having a separate stamina meter for each skill; it gives you a reason to actually use low probability skills, like if you have a lot more stamina left in that skill than the other two.

Sorry for another wall of text, I just want to make sure the idea is preserved for when I inevitably give up on and forget about it.

Man, I like posting here more than actually making games. People don't wanna read my dumb posts though, they wanna play games.

I know the solution is to just make a game, then ride its coattails for a good while, but I'm still trying to find another solution that doesn't require as much effort. >_>

My latest game idea is to just make a game about trains, since that matches my autistic skill set. "But wait," you say, "that's not an awful idea, there are plenty of good games about trains!" The awful part comes in during my crappy implementation. <_<

Honestly, I think your gamebook idea might be good, it depends on the story though.

How about a gta version just about trains?
With missions like "drive over 10 ppl in 20 seconds" and you just have to keep giving gas since rails duh.
Do drivebys at the station, break through railblocks and hide from the police.

Training: A game about a big train teaching tiny trains how to grow up and be a big train.
Gameplay is mostly about repeating the same thing, going from A to B but with a different student.
You can do this by pressing A then B.

crappy implementation.
Crappy can be good, if you really go for crappy with a touch of humour. Have you seen the train simulations on the ZX Spectrum?

There is also the press-left-or-right to choose a track while the trains goes

Last edited:
Crap game competition anyone?

Perhaps over the summer, when people are on holiday. Nothing more relaxing than writing bad code!

We'd need some lame prizes though. How about discount vouchers for ED's shop?
£5 for first prize, £2 for runner-up, £1 third place?
Just enough to be desirable, but not enough for anyone to really care.

Using the least amount of snow, shutdown essential services one by one in the UK. Use ice to cripple roads before the gritters go out, use a light breeze to shut bridges, use hail to cause insurance nightmares for dented cars, use a leaf to stop a train.

First to shut down the UK using slightly inclement conditions (aka, Winter) wins!

Back