Back from Greece

Yeah honestly i'm just so elated with the progress I can't get upset at the usual thread scuttling.

Kaloo kalaaay, pyras soon... SOOON.

Am I correct in thinking that the new factory would be producing carbon-fibre reinforced plastic? If so, then a texture like the X200 (Thinkpads) would be cool, and even more awesome with a hint of deep red.

That's a good question actually. I expected the x200 to have a carbon-fibre mat like texture, but actually it looks kind of furry. A clear Pyra case with the carbon fibre lengths included might look like that too, I honestly don't know. I don't think FormAction are set up to do that, so we can't see any prototypes with that until the case moulds move to the new firm. But if it does look anything like that a translucent effect might be very interesting - I'd been kind of assuming that it was something we needed to cover up.

"Shoulder Buttons, Nubs, DPad and Stylus will have the same color and the rest of the case will also have the same color (but both can be different)."

So the case can be dual color if I find someone who wants the exact opposite and we swap parts :)
Or... We can only have one color for shoulders and everything (most probably close-to-black dark grey, maybe a rubber substance ?) as it's not a huge problematic and maybe reduce costs enough for additional colors on the rest ?

For the poll, I'd like things to be more like :
What dark color would you like best ? (radio buttons)
- Gunmetal
- Dark Grey
- Black

What light color would you like best ? (same)
- White
- Cream
- Light Grey

If we have only one, which would like best ? (same)
- Dark
- Light
- Color

If we have only two, which would like best ? (checkbox)
- Dark
- Light
- Color

It's been a while since I last made a poll but I think it was on this revision of the forum software. I don't think you have all that much control over creating different types of buttons, but I think you can have multiple questions with different options (and you missed off C64/65 beige from your light questions).

I would love a metallic blue:
Or some dual color black with red
redblue.JPG
or Broken white, like the C64

But most importantly:
gop.jpg

It's got to be 90s-tastic colors.
  • Radical Red!
  • Outrageous Orange!
  • Yellin' Yellow!
  • Gnarly Green!
  • Blazin' Blue!
  • Illin' Indigo!
  • Vicious Violet!
  • Crackin' Clear!
  • Bodacious Burgundy!
  • Tubular Tangerine!
Shall I go on?

Last edited:
When I saw this render I liked it. However it's taken me a few days to realize what did it remind me.
It's quite the colors of the venerable Oric Atmos. This render has more red area, but it is still similar.

But really, I hope ED takes into account the cheapest option. I don't like clear because of light leakage.
I fear two colors might be more expensive, and if so, it's not really worth it.

@pyrat I would imagine this depends on how many combinations ED is going to order. the molds for separate parts can take different colored plastics at no additional costs. The plastic material isn't going to be more expensive because it has another color and the amount stays the same (theoretically of course). So buying the same color as a large volume will probably be cheaper then say 20 different colors making up the same volume, but I am sure if it's only 4 or 5 different ones, it's not going to impact production cost by a lot.

What they likely can do is have one colour in one mould, while the other colour is in the other mould, and then swap them, that way they'd get two full sets, one of each colour. Then they can just keep doing that.

I have a question for @EvilDragon

What do YOU like, and / like to see/try in regards of colour?

Funny fact about this post:

I almost wrote color, but remembering some posts of you grammar nerds made me reconsider. I read back a few posts above mine and noticed most use colour consequently so I put down colour instead.

My standard US English dictionary says it's wrong now.

I should have just gone with my gut feeling and put down COLOR like I initially wanted to do :cool:

I have a question for @EvilDragon

I almost wrote color, but remembering some posts of you grammar nerds made me reconsider. I read back a few posts above mine and noticed most use colour consequently so I put down colour instead.
My standard US English dictionary says it's wrong now.
Isn't that just a UK-US thing (not wright-wrong)?

Back