Backilt

jimmyfiend

Still Fresh
I'm about to purchase a gp32 but want to know whether the backlit version is really worth paying extra for. Can you watch say a video clip on a non backlit version if the room you are in is dark?
Any ideas and feed back would be great thanks.

Theres already a thread on this as i didnt know either but it is DEFFINATELY worth it. Seriously, theres a review of the flu somewhere that has a trapeziod affect on the lense making it look a bit dodgy but mines perfect. If you get a flu you'll wonder how you could hav done without it.

I don't understand how anyone could find much enjoyment without the FLU, it makes all the differance in the world. I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy a none-FLU.

Yo about the backlit i think it was at lik-sang there was a movie once with the gp32 with light on does somebody have it (link) and can give me it ? :D

but the flu is expensive and if you can afford it GET IT. i couldn't so i didn't.
i'm happy with my non flu. the reflective screen picks up light really well. so get it if your using it for trains/buses/cars

pip posted on Jul 11 2003 said:
I don't understand how anyone could find much enjoyment without the FLU, it makes all the differance in the world. I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy a none-FLU.
Not trying to pick a fight, but I feel exactly the opposite.

I have played my GP32 at home, at work, in the car, and in a doctor's office waiting room, and have never had any problem seeing the screen on my non-lit unit.

I'm sure the front-lit one makes things easier to see in the dark, so if you plan on playing your GP32 with the lights out, at night, or in a cave, then I would highly recommend one. Personally, I like my original one just fine and can NOT justify buying another one just for the light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id say that if you are playing in even slightly dull conditions tho then the flu makes it much better. But i suppose if you arent going to be in that kind of situation then a normal one will b fine

I've had my GP32 (no FLU) for 3 or 4 weeks now, and there have been only one or two occasions where lack of light was even an issue. The regular GP32 screen picks up ambient light better than the GBA, so it works fine unless the room lighting is VERY dim.

In all fairness though, 90% of the time I'm playing in indirect sunlight in the middle of the day (the best possible lighting). You have to consider the type of ambient light available when you will be using your GP32 the most.

Even if you are in good light the games and everything you use on the gp32 looks so much better with a FLU. If you are standing on the sun, you can always turn off the light to save batteries. It is definately worth the extra bucks, and if you already have one without light, sell it and buy one with.

One thing I would add is that the GBA (the original) screen doesn't even compare to the GP32 screen.

While the GP32 FLU might be a nice extra, I don't see it as being a necessity. On the GBA however, there were times were even in a well lit room I was constantly moving, shifting, and tilting the screen to try and see what the heck was going on. I bought a worm light for my GBA and all it did was added a shiny glare to the middle of the screen. I don't know what they do to make the GP32 so much better than a GBA one, but side by side the GP32 is noticably better.

I can't speak about a GBA SP, never held one.

Back