Gbax.com misleading people?

ebrentnell

Still Fresh
hello everyone,

I just sold a GP32 on Ebay for a friend of mine. The GP I sold was a regular version. I got email upon email asking me if this unit was a "backlit" unit. When I explained that it wasnt and that there is no such thing as a Backlit GP I got a lot of snotty responses saying that they saw "backlit" units for sale at Gbax.com and that I was stupid.

If I went out and spent $200 USD on a gamepark I thought was backlit and ended up being frontlit, I would be really pissed.

I am just saying that I think Gbax.com should change their item descriptions to better reflect what the product actualy is.

True, but when most people are asking if the unit is 'backlit', they are actually wondering if it has an internal light source. While the FLU is frontlit, it is an internal lightsource for the gp32. So it's easy to see why people would say the FLU gp32 is 'backlit'.

Would you call teh GBA SP backlit? If you would, then there's no problem in referring - outside specific circles - to a GP32 FLU as backlit, since GBA SP is also frontlit...

Precisely. People consider what the GBASP and GP32 (with lighting) are to be backlit, simply because there isn't a big light hovering over the top. In a way it is backlit, but yes, technically it is frontlit. Here's a couple of links (the first couple I found easily by google) on the GBASP... and that's right, its called "backlit".

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=2751

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Jan/...30108018049.htm

Now, on the other hand, here's the tech specs from Nintendo's site:

http://www.nintendo.com/systems/gba/gba_specs.jsp

They, of course, refer to it as "Front light integrated with LCD"

In other words, GBAX isn't trying to mislead people any more than the reviewers of the GBASP are trying to... the two terms are simply too often used interchangeably even when they are technically different.

If gbax isn't trying to mislead people, then why does it say there's a hexen for gp32

Well ChriX, all I can say that my front lit GP32 from GBAX (which was [is] advertised as backlit) is just fantastic with the light.

After seeing a mate's GP32 at work, without a light, I thought it would be best to get one with a light, and boy am I glad I waited a bit and got one with a light.

The light is brilliant, can see the screen anywhere, anytime in any lighting conditions, and you can switch the light off when you don't need it to save batteries!

Meonlyeviler posted on May 30 2003 said:
If gbax isn't trying to mislead people, then why does it say there's a hexen for gp32
If you aren't trying to mislead people, why are you saying that the review says that?

What it DOES say is that there is a heretic port, which there is. I am only looking at the review, btw, if there is another statement on the site that hexen is ported, then it is probably a mistake, but really, I don't care. The review brought in quite a few people. I wish it had been worded better as it led many to believe a GBA emulator is either available or imminent, when one may never be created, but it still increased the community (and didn't technically lie, it says the GBA emu is private and SNES is slow... whose fault is it if people don't read it closely).

I'm not a GBAX fan, I didn't buy mine there and I'm not affiliated with them. But people need to stop whining over every little thing.

As for the back/front light, I have an original unit w/o one so I can't judge the quality, but it has been reported to be as good as the GBASP. Personally, I modded a GBA light for $10 and unless I start using it in the dark more that works well enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
NO YOUR DUMB I HATE YOU, DIE... go to the main part of the page where you can buy gp32, and look at the description :angry: STUPID

Meonlyeviler posted on May 30 2003 said:
NO YOUR DUMB I HATE YOU, DIE... go to the main part of the page where you can buy gp32, and look at the description :angry: STUPID
That would be: "NO YOU'RE DUMB...", or it would be if you were intelligent. I even posted that I looked at the review where it was correct and didn't scour the website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Build quality for the GP32 seems to be pretty low. I havnt had any problems with mine, however, I still recommend getting the GP32 from a reliable company just in case its a bit dogey.

Back