Bad Sound Quality

HackModford

I just got my pandora and everything is great but the sound seems to be horrible. It's hard to explain but it sounds like it's buzzing. Almost like the the bitrate is really low. (you know how you can change that in emulators?)

Anybody have any ideas?

edit: it doesnt matter if i use headphones either. im gonna try rebooting.

PandoraBadSound.mov - 2.3 Mb

HackModford said:
I just got my pandora and everything is great but the sound seems to be horrible. It's hard to explain but it sounds like it's buzzing. Almost like the the bitrate is really low. (you know how you can change that in emulators?)

Anybody have any ideas?

edit: it doesnt matter if i use headphones either. im gonna try rebooting.

I find the crackling stops if you lower the volume within the system and/or the app. I have a weird bug though were sometimes it keeps bouncing up and down (like in Mplayer).

Last edited by a moderator:
IF this crackling is normal I will be extremely dissapointed. For some reason pressing the pandora button in an emulator makes a difference.

This came up in a thread recently. I gather it's to do with the PCM volume being set too high - however, it's not configurable in the GUI at the moment. There's a text file that you'll have to edit to change it. Give me a moment and I'll find it.

Yeah presing that button improves the sound but it's still not perfect.

I don't believe there is a way to make it 'perfect' yet. I've taken off boost, changed buffer settings and such and it still seems to screw up once and a while. Just have to wait till OP solves this, or use mono sound in your emulators as a temp solution.

Alright, I've got it. The post about it is here - ED says that a hidden file in your home directory (the place on the NAND that's named after the username you chose) is where you can edit the settings. According to this post, you want to set the PCM volume to 75% or 80%.

However, beyond that, I can't help - I've never had a need to do this on any of my Linux systems, so I don't know what's in that configuration file.

Last edited by a moderator:
the file says

Code:
pcm.dmixed {
type dmix
ipc_key 1234
slave {
pcm "hw:0"
buffer_size 8192
period_size 2048
#periods 128
period _time 0
buffer_time 0
rate 44100
}
}

There's a little more but that's the only snippet that has numbers in it. What should I change o_O

ALSA is a pain to get it to run properly.
However, most of the times, it should work just fine.
WiFi disabled? Sometimes WiFi can interfere with audio.

What apps have that problem? All of them?

I don't have any sound problems on my Pandora except for VERY slight crackling in MPlayer (which goes away when I change the buffersize)

All programs have this problem sadly. And the changes I made didn't help. How would I lower the PCM volume?

My pandora has never crackled yet ,i find the sound perfect ,mabe a bug in the os or the media player but if it's at the default like mine is there should not be a problem yes ? could it not then just be the hardware.

open the mixer, in the options, there should be a dialogue where you can select channels like pcm to be visible.

Nothing: PCM is not an available option in mixer
Nothing: I did that, and my problem persists

Which one?

So I'm looking online and it seems that the main problem with the pandora is no adjustable PCM channel... bahhhh...

Back