Batteries! [Nimh]

CCmachined

Any recommendations / warnings about various brands of batteries or chargers (or combinations of charger/battery brands)? I need a new set of both. How about 1 or 2 hour chargers?

I've also seen some 3000 mAh cells around such as these (yes, 3 Ah), would these be genuine, or only produce that capacity at low current draw? I can't seem to find any 3000s from known brands (Uniross, GP, Sony, etc)

NiMH are at their limit now and have been for a while. In fact, many manufacturers started to have problems once they reached the 2500mah capacity because of the thinner materials they required. Eventually short circuits would develop and high-discharge made the batteries useless over time. I have a set of quality Annsman and Maha batteries, each 2700mah, that are both now going into the trash after only a year. I switched to Eneloop-style low-self-discharge batteries. The ones I'm using now are Maha's Imedions, they are 2100mah but should never suffer the same problem.

Just don't get any non-name-brand batteries off Ebay, the Chinese will print any old spec on their products that has no basis in reality.

Ah sorry, I had a load of tabs open in firefox and thought this was the gp2x board. Feel free to move/delete.

CC_machine said:
Ah sorry, I had a load of tabs open in firefox and thought this was the gp2x board. Feel free to move/delete.
Moved over to the GP2X boards

Last edited by a moderator:
same happened to me with my Energizer 2500 mAh, they died after only a year of use, and that means 1 recharge per day, cause i use the gp2x to listen music in the bus.
This year i bought some Sony CycleEnergy. so some of us will see if they last longer...

laharl said:
same happened to me with my Energizer 2500 mAh, they died after only a year of use, and that means 1 recharge per day, cause i use the gp2x to listen music in the bus.
This year i bought some Sony CycleEnergy. so some of us will see if they last longer...

I was having the same problem. It's the poor connection in the battery compartment. I was having to recharge the batteries every couple of days even without use and then I got suspicious and put the batteries in the gp32 and they worked fine even though they wouldn't boot the gp2x. So I installed a very small spring in the battery compartment and it seems to substantially increase battery life over time.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Back